Paul Clement...

​Nope, this is what I said....

​........Mourinho is successful because he can buy the best and the easiest part is letting the best to their thing - play footie

Mourinho is a great coach but with different class of player.........

This was/is the problem we have with the FA picking very successful foreign coaches to do the England job, the swede, the Italian, yes very good club coaches, won lots of trophies, but with teams that were purchased, best of the best.

Put them with English players and this is all you have- they struggled because success was bought at their clubs, cannot do it at international level with limited class of player.

One reason we all wanted a Mr Clough for the England job all those years ago, he could work with very limited players and get the best of out of them

​I was referring to the rubbishing of Clement's success because he was at a club who could spend £200m. You also have a swipe at Alex Neil because: To be fair Norwich had the best squad this year, most of it was prem players from the year before......

You've yet to say who you would like to take over.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be incredibly surprised to see a manager come in that would change our style of play. Seems to be we're going the route of Swansea and Southampton, a consistent style maintained by the DoF and higher ups with managers coming in to match this style.

As for this ridiculous "its easy to manage brilliant players" argument, if you swap out Mourinho for Clough or Steve Kean or some other lower league manager the difference would be huge. Look at when Hodgson took over at Liverpool or Moyes at United, completely crap. If it was so easy with the best players they would have walked it no problem.

​The two examples you give were two teams going down transformations - and still are!

Anybody coach in the land can buy world class players [if they have the cash], their skill is gelling those world class players together, certainly not teaching/coaching them how to play.... come on this is basic coaching here.

Most seem to think that Paul Clement will be the saviour of us, I am simply asking based on what?

​I haven't seen anyone saying that.

Appointing any new manager is a risk. Sticking with Mac would be a risk.

If we do get Clement, then we're doing our best to minimise that risk by getting someone who has been successful elsewhere and been linked to other (bigger) jobs in the recent past.

​Its cost us because we will ahve to pay compensation on top of the wages for the new bloke instead of just SM's wages.

​Sorry, my mistake. Meant to say 10 million quid. Two million is the figure that I thought it was costing us to change :blink:

Surely Clement would be head coach with a team alongside him, his assistant could have years of experience in the English leagues. 

Clement's job will be to motivate existing players, identify and improve weak areas and set the team formation to play against any opposition ( something McClaren struggled with ).

​I was referring to the rubbishing of Clement's success because he was at a club who could spend £200m. You also have a swipe at Alex Neil because: To be fair Norwich had the best squad this year, most of it was prem players from the year before......

You've yet to say who you would like to take over.

​I was not having a swipe at Neil, simply stating he had the experience prior to joining Norwich, which is the reason they took him on. Yes, they certainly had the best squad by far in the championship, it also proves sticking by your squad you can get straight back up.... 

For me  - I wouldn't got rid of Mac, he was the best thing at Derby since Smith / Mac last time around, we were building for the future. Now I am not to sure, is it must get up at all costs next season?

One thing last season did prove, is that with all the injuries we had during March/April/May the  squad was certainly not good enough to win the championship let alone make an impact on the prem.

What we don't wont again is a Billy Davies rerun fiasco....how many years has it been and we are still trying to rebuild......

He's made it by merit. He never played the game. He's spent his entire working life educating people on how to improve their ability. Ancelotti, one of the best managers of this generation, didn't just pick a stranger to assist him at 3 of the biggest clubs in Europe 

​No, he has already done it with the play offs with Hamilton, he knows what is needed!!

That is experience!

To be fair Norwich had the best squad this year, most of it was prem players from the year before......

You said no experience at this level. Alex Neil has no English Championship experience.

Look at the top 6

Bournemouth - Eddie Howe - 2 seasons at Burnley, 2 seasons at Bournemouth in the Champ
Watford - Slavisa Jokanovic - 0 previous seasons
Norwich - Alex Neil - 0 previous seasons
Boro - Aitor Karanka - 0 previous seasons
Brentford - Mark Warburton - 0 previous seasons
Ipswich - Mick McCarthy - 8 previous seasons with Millwall, Sunderland and Wolves.

Save for Mick Mac - not all that much Championship experience there.

Now look at the relegated 3

Millwall - Holloway/Harris - 7 previous seasons with Leicester, Blackpool, Palace, QPR/0
Wigan - Rösler/Mackay/Caldwell - 1/2/0 previous seasons.
Wigan - Riga/Clark - 0/2 previous seasons with Birmingham

Just as much experience as the top 6 as in the bottom 3. You can't just take that experience stick and beat him with it - there are plenty of other factors that will determine if he is successful as a manager or not.

​I was not having a swipe at Neil, simply stating he had the experience prior to joining Norwich, which is the reason they took him on. Yes, they certainly had the best squad by far in the championship, it also proves sticking by your squad you can get straight back up.... 

​because 2 years managerial experience at hamilton is equivalent to coaching chelsea, psg and madrid players, and until alex neil came in their 'best squad' was wallowing in upper-midtable

i dont get your argument at all, that anyone can coach the top players, the whole point of coaching is to improve players, and you are trying to tell us that anyone can coach ronaldo to be a better player? just money can make teams better, yes because when jose mourinho wants to teach chelsea players a new tactic/formation he just gives them a wallet full of money and the jobs done?

the teams spend their £200 million on new players, because their buying the best players, but to get them to play together and in a style is completely different, that has to be done by ability not more money

depends how much the compo is and how much more if any we pay the manager coming in.

​Yes, I agree. But the figure of 10 million is surely far too high. If we pay McClaren the reported 2 million compensation, plus I would guess at a maximum (and I would think it would be quite a bit less) of 1 million a year in wages (even less when you include his pay rise for taking us up, which he would have to do this year!) on top of what McClaren was earning, plus you include the 2 million in compensation that Newcastle were supposedly going to pay us, that is still only 6 million.

Most seem to think that Paul Clement will be the saviour of us, I am simply asking based on what?

​Why do you keep using the word 'saviour'? Who's said that?

Mac's gone, whether people like or not. Deal with it. Of the options available who would you prefer?

If everyone went for managers based only on experience, they'd run out. People have to be given a chance in order to be successful. Clement's pedigree is extremely impressive so it's not like we're taking a coach from someone like Bolton (Phil Brown), it's the Real Madrid, PSG and Chelsea coach. He's worked with some of the best managers in the world. Yes he's a risk but who isn't? Bringing Mac in two years ago was a risk.

Give the man a chance before he's started jesus christ.

​Yes, I agree. But the figure of 10 million is surely far too high. If we pay McClaren the reported 2 million compensation, plus I would guess at a maximum (and I would think it would be quite a bit less) of 1 million a year in wages (even less when you include his pay rise for taking us up, which he would have to do this year!) on top of what McClaren was earning, plus you include the 2 million in compensation that Newcastle were supposedly going to pay us, that is still only 6 million.

​We are supposed to be paying Clements  2 million a year before tax, as he is currently on 1.5 million at RM and also giving him a 4 year contract........

​Why do you keep using the word 'saviour'? Who's said that?

Mac's gone, whether people like or not. Deal with it. Of the options available who would you prefer?

If everyone went for managers based only on experience, they'd run out. People have to be given a chance in order to be successful. Clement's pedigree is extremely impressive so it's not like we're taking a coach from someone like Bolton (Phil Brown), it's the Real Madrid, PSG and Chelsea coach. He's worked with some of the best managers in the world. Yes he's a risk but who isn't? Bringing Mac in two years ago was a risk.

Give the man a chance before he's started jesus christ.

That's one hell of a chance, 2 million a year ​and a 4 year contract.....

Bring Mac in 18mths ago was no where near a gamble this is , don't forget he was No2 to Smith all those years ago.....

Why do people think being assistant at Real Madrid with world class players is the same as coaching a championship club?

Do you really think he told/Coached Ronaldo how to play?

No, having team of world class players is a far cry from coaching at Derby county, I hope he has some experience of managing people and coaching players with far less ability.......

This bloke has lots of experience on the pitch with world class players at Madrid/PSG in recent years, but no experience at all at our level, I do really hope it works, because its costing a fortune......

That's one hell of a chance, 2 million a year ​and a 4 year contract.....

Bring Mac in 18mths ago was no where near a gamble this is , don't forget he was No2 to Smith.......

This bloke has lots of experience on the pitch with world class players at Madrid/PSG in recent years, but no experience at all at our level, I do really hope it works, because its costing a fortune......

What experience had Mac had at our level? A failed few weeks at Forest? A couple of months of coach at QPR?

Ridiculous to say it wasn't a risk. We pulled him from the managerial wilderness where his previous three managerial jobs were failures.

Archived