Jason Shackell

North_Stand_Ram

Someone who already failed at the club

​Did Shackell fail at Derby? Seem to remember a lot of unhappy fans at him leaving, kinda odd for a failure. Plus didn't we make a small profit on him?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Did Shackell fail at Derby? Seem to remember a lot of unhappy fans at him leaving, kinda odd for a failure. Plus didn't we make a small profit on him?

£1m. 

​he was possibly one of the best of a poor bunch of underachievers. People used his sale more as a stick to beat GSE/Yanks/Owners with. I actually thought at the time, it was a good sale. He was like Albrechtsen, no doubting he has all the qualities somewhere, but not committed enough to use them.

Defender Jason Shackell has left Derby County to join Burnley for a fee thought to be around £1.1m.

The 28-year-old centre-back has signed a four-year contract at Turf Moor and becomes their third summer signing.

Former Norwich, Wolves and Barnsley man Shackell played every minute of all 49 games for Derby last season.

The Rams had previously turned down four bids from three different clubs for Shackell, but accepted an undisclosed offer from the Clarets.

Play media
Jump media player
Media player help
Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Shackell told BBC Radio Lancashire: "I knew Derby were quite keen to get some money in so I thought it could be a possibility.

"I had a great year there last year and I got on really well with the lads. It's a fantastic club and I really did enjoy my time.

"But if the club wanted to cash in, as they say, it left me in a difficult position. I'm not going to hang about somewhere where you're not sure where you stand.

"Once I met the gaffer (Eddie Howe) and his team, I was very impressed and I was really looking forward to coming down.

Continue reading the main story

“The last four or five years have been crazy and I'm looking forward to getting settled somewhere

Jason Shackell

"The last four or five years have been crazy and I'm looking forward to getting settled somewhere. Hopefully I'll be here for a few years to come."

Derby boss Nigel Clough said: "Jason has always been 100% professional and a fantastic player to work with. Having played every minute of every game last season it came as no surprise that other clubs were interested.

"Although I am sad to see Jason leave, we have Jake Buxton, Tom Naylor and Mark O'Brien, who have all proved to be more than capable at performing in the Championship."

Leicester City and Cardiff City were also understood to be interested.

another one of those who is ten times a better Derby player since he left than what he actually was when he was here!

Not committed enough for me, didn't dominate enough and came across as a bit of a luxury showpony for me. There's a reason that someone of his obvious ability seems to have been a yo-yo player at best and never been wanted by an established Premier league team. Andy Todd had a premier league career ffs!

No thanks. Too old. Not vicious enough. Not brave enough. Has nicely organised hair though. I'd rather Keogh than Shackell. He was the best of a below average bunch when he was here and captained the team to what position? 18th was it? Maybe 14th, I don't know, but it was crap whatever!

​Actually Shackell was pretty good while here. Was a leader, offered steel at the back, was pretty much ever present, and very few at the time of him leaving would have described him as a bad player. The real point most made was that we ended up getting considerably more for him than we paid, and we brought in Keogh, which I still maintain was good business at the time. 

For reference sake though, we came 12th when Shackell was here, with 64 points. Goals conceded in the last few years:

14-15: 56

13-14: 52

12-13: 62

11-12: 58 <- The season Shackell was with us

10-11: 71

A lot of people forget that we had quite an injury crisis that season as well. Brayford was missing for most of the season, as was Barker, Buxton and Anderson only played a few times. He managed to produce in an unsettled defence. He was a leader, and he did well for us. 

I'd certainly take him back at the right price, but I can't see us getting him in. He and Keogh could be a formidably partnership. My preference would be to bring in a younger centrehalf to build for the next 5+ years, not bring in a 32 year old for the next few seasons, but I certainly wouldn't be annoyed if he returned. 

SEEING Derby County go toe-to-toe with some of the Championship's big-hitters in the battle to sign Richard Keogh sent out a positive message.

It was also a timely manoeuvre by the Rams.

A little over two weeks ago, there was a need for tin hats at Pride Park Stadium as flak rained down from angry supporters who made their feelings known after Jason Shackell was sold to Burnley for £1.1m.

Fans felt the departure of Shackell, and for what they considered to be a steal of a fee, was not the way forward.

Some became so incensed they demanded a refund on their season tickets.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Richard-Keogh-capture-sent-timely-positive/story-16584207-detail/story.html

Trip down memory lane there, saw another article on the DET signed for 750k, sold for £1.1m. Don't think it was a stick to beat GSE with at all, they saw a decent defender leave after one season, didn't make any sense and to sign Keogh for slightly more money. Just looked back and it was a 100 page + rage mode on here at the time when he left

He played alongside all of Tom Naylor and Mark O'Brien, Russell Anderson, Jake Buxton, Gareth Roberts, John Brayford & Shaun Barker that season.

"I''d rather have Keogh than Shackell"

That's why we're staying down, that's why we're staying down....

​To be completely honest, I'd say that Keogh is actually a better player than Shackell (though only very slightly), but it seems that few can look past Wembley still (which is about as silly as Real Madrid fans blaming Bale for this loss last night to be blunt about it) and just look for issues to call him out for. Brayford in his prime for us was better than any we've had since, even Wisdom (who was in and of himself a very good defender for us), Buxton was a good defender as well, and even coming back from injury, the Barker-Shackell partnership showed some promise. What Shackell demonstrated that season though was that he could play in that unsettled defence and settle it, he would perform when our backs were to the wall, which is something we sorely lacked this season. 

​Is that the best you can do? Do you think my opinions are wrong?

There are people on this forum saying DON'T sign Barton and giving his recent relegation with QPR as a reason, yet Jason (2 Prem seasons = 2 Prem relegations) Shackell is desperately needed?? How very confusing.

Someone who already failed at the club, and people want him back!

​"Failed" I don't remember that at all. I remember him being one the best players at the club.

He's been brilliant this season.

ask yourself why no other Premier league or Promotion chasing Championship side has ever taken a punt on him!

He's been bought by mid-table championship teams and is now about to enter the twilight of his career.

I did try to edit that to make it clear I wasn't being entirely serious, especially considering we know that Mostyn doesn't even rate Keogh!

Keogh suits our passing game better than Shackell, but there is surely no question who the better defender is, and has been for the past 3 seasons. As people have said above maybe a combination of the two would be perfect (Sean Dyche appeared to agree?). If only the powers that be back in 2011 could have afforded us that financial luxury in the way they have done recently. 

It seems strange Mostyn pointing to Shackell's Premier League relegations though, has he ever been relegated from The Championship?

Wembley, wembley, wembley... yet again it's only the people defending Keogh who bring Wembley up!  My opinion of Keogh vs Shackell certainly isn't based on Wembley! I do wish people would stop bringing that up!

ask yourself why no other Premier league or Promotion chasing Championship side has ever taken a punt on him!

He's been bought by mid-table championship teams and is now about to enter the twilight of his career.

​We was promotion chasing under Clough! :ph34r:

Wembley, wembley, wembley... yet again it's only the people defending Keogh who bring Wembley up!  My opinion of Keogh vs Shackell certainly isn't based on Wembley! I do wish people would stop bringing that up!

​This, this and this again.

I did try to edit that to make it clear I wasn't being entirely serious, especially considering we know that Mostyn doesn't even rate Keogh!

Keogh suits our passing game better than Shackell, but there is surely no question who the better defender is, and has been for the past 3 seasons. As people have said above maybe a combination of the two would be perfect (Sean Dyche appeared to agree?). If only the powers that be back in 2011 could have afforded us that financial luxury in the way they have done recently. 

It seems strange Mostyn pointing to Shackell's Premier League relegations though, has he ever been relegated from The Championship?

​People keep going that "Keogh is error prone", this only started after Wembley. That's about the only complaint most have for him, except maybe "shouts at the defence", or other airy fairy things like that. If you pick any defender in the world, you can find a "catalogue of errors" for that season. Though I sure most of here would write off "error prone Boateng", particularly as his latest one came in a big game.

Why has no one taken a point on Ryan Shawcross or James Tomkins? Two brilliant defenders this year? There could be any number of reasons. He's bottom half/ top of the championship standard, any day of the week for me.

Oh yea and Terry supposedly entered his "twilight" of his career 4 seasons ago.

​People keep going that "Keogh is error prone", this only started after Wembley. That's about the only complaint most have for him, except maybe "shouts at the defence", or other airy fairy things like that. If you pick any defender in the world, you can find a "catalogue of errors" for that season. Though I sure most of here would write off "error prone Boateng", particularly as his latest one came in a big game.

​not strictly true. I had given my views of Keogh ages before Wembley! Along with the prediction that his poor decision making and lack of composure could cost us dearly, which it has done a few times.

Archived