Jason Shackell

North_Stand_Ram

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/12948806.DECISION_TIME__Burnley_may_face_battle_to_hang_on_to_Jason_Shackell_this_summer/?ref=twt

BURNLEY may face a battle to hang on to Jason Shackell this summer, following relegation from the Premier League.

The Clarets captain is under contract with the Clarets until 2016 but is understood to be keeping his options open after three years with the club.

The central defender, with eight Premier League clean sheets this season, has been recognised for consistently solid performances in his second top flight campaign - the first coming with Norwich City in 2004/05 at the beginning of his career.

But although there is a lure to remain a Premier League player, a return to former club Derby County cannot be ruled out, despite the Rams missing out on a place in the Championship’s top six.

Derby are looking for defensive reinforcements and Shackell would not only fit the bill for manager Steve McClaren but would also prove a popular signing with fans, who were reluctant to see their former skipper leave for Turf Moor almost three years ago when Eddie Howe was in charge.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is also top of the table on that stats as defender. 

Yes

maybe that is why Nixon said our "1st choice" would be easier to get than Dunk. Shackell only has one year left on his contract but Dunk has 3...

He fits the mould.. Left footed, left sided, tall, experienced and leadership material 

I'd love to have him back.

Remember that season when we won our opening 5(?) games under Clough - Watford away and we nicked it 1-0 from a Steve Davies firecracker.

My main impression from that match was we played pretty dire stuff - except for Shackell - who put in a mammoth shift in defence. The one player who looked Premier League standard on the day.  

I would take him back as I always thought he was a good player.

It does make me laugh though how loads of people at the time on here was saying what a great deal Clough had done getting rid and getting Keogh in who is better and younger

If I remember correctly he played quiet a few games with Mark O'Brien and in those games O'Brien looked a calm decent player, but when O'Brien played without shackell he looked clumsy and careless. Maybe Shackell  at the back makes the other players at the back relax and do their job! Hopefully he could do the same for Keogh.

Would take Shackell back from a performance perspective, but not sure how he'd fit back in personality wise. I heard he was quite arrogant

I can see it happening though, as it was Clough and Glick who refused to play his agents games and got rid of him, so Rush and Mac is a clean slate for him

Archived