Bent to be offered 4 year deal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​That anyone on here would have scored...

He changes the style of play too much, he cant play with Martin, Martin is better and neither will be a sub.

That's a very strange way of looking at it - would you back AmericanRam to score 12 goals in 17 games in the Derby's side, too?

I also don't agree Martin and Bent couldn't play together, we've got a whole summer to change our system. I, for one, think it's time for a change. We can't rely on Martin to play 46 games a season and to find a player of similar ability and style is almost impossible.

Bent is a different striker, true, but he's a 20 goal a season striker so we should be going all out to get him on board. 

Everyone goes on about a Plan B, then we try to sign a striker who is almost the precise opposite to Chris Martin and offers something different, and some fans still don't want to sign him?

Go for it. As long as we sign another striker as well. Maybe even keep Conor Sammon, or get someone like him. In 13/14 Sammon was genuinely effective and sometimes made the difference. In stagnant games, putting a gallivanting giraffe up top in a 4-2-4 system is very difficult to defend against, partly because we're not entirely sure what he's going to do either. Could be anything from kneeing it over a Boro goalkeeper to doing a step over and back-heeling it out of play.

Three strikers is what we need. We dropped too many points from basically having no one up front when they were both injured.

I really don't want us to sign Bent, he offers nothing but the odd tap in, I just can't see him fitting into our fully fit team/system. Hopefully if we do sign him he'll prove me wrong.

We don't know what team or system we will play next season. Can we stop please. It's the summer not January. 

From the other thread;

"£24M Villa paid four years ago, Ex-England international striker, scoring in half his 8 international appearances since 2010. Rooney managed just 3 in 16 during that time and is only about 18 months younger.
Considering the cost of decent strikers at this level, getting Bent on a free transfer... Surely you couldn't even argue he is too old based on his return this season.

Jordan Rhodes -       

21 Goals - 3513Mins - 167.3Mins/pg -  £8M

Callum Wilson  -      

20 Goals - 3908Mins - 195.4Mins/pg - £3M

Cameron Jerome -  

18 Goals - 2926Mins - 163Mins/pg - £1.5M

Ross McCormack - 

17 Goals - 3849Mins - 226.4Mins/pg - £11M

Darren Bent -         

10 Goals - 1075Mins - 107.5Mins/pg -£3.6M pa
(Current reported wage - £70,000*52=£3.6M)

I'd assume all these strikers earn more than the £500,000 yearly average for the championship, and even if Bent is given the Premier League average of £43,717 per week.(£2.3M pa)
That is the same cost as signing him for the £10,000pw average Championship wage and a £1.8M fee...(1 year contract)
At a standard 3 year contract length; a player earning a £25K wage would cost a fee of £4M for an equal total expenditure.

I'd assume with him being 31, any proposed contract wouldn't be that long. Making the deal arguably better value. The money can also be performance/appearance based giving us a bit of insurance against injury or form that you wouldn't get with a transfer fee."

Obviously a four year contract would work out to be more but we could be using length of contract to negotiate on the cost. 

I can see Bent being the new Kevin Philips if he can stay fit.

To put his scoring into perspective;

Give him the 3908 mins Wilson played and it's nearly 40 Goals at Bents current league rate...

Stop what? Debating?? It's not a dictatorship here y'know!

Didn't mean you bro, just generally. We can't dismiss players based on our last system because we don't know how we are going to line up next season. 

I only run dictatorships in the arabworld  

IF we found a way of having Bent and still playing positive, attacking, possession, based football, committing players forward, playing neat football insde the opposition's penalty area with players always giving a passing option,  then yeah, great.

If we sign him and continue to play the way we have since January, relying heavily on individual brilliance and committing no more than 3 players to an attack, stopping our supporting midfielders making runs into the box (nullifying the likes of Bryson) and occasionally pushing Chris Martin out onto the wing... then no, no thanks. Goals or not.

Here we go. Derby aim to sign proven goalscorer who has demonstrated this season he's still got it, and half of the fans don't think he's good enough, or that he'll be a liability. Bent would be an asset to any Championship team, and I think it's great we have the ambition to go out and sign him proper.

Also: Leon Best, everyone. Leon ******* Best.

Am i the only one who doesnt want us to sign him?

Obviously a good goal scorer/finisher (excpet for that awful penalty miss that cost us the play offs) but he cant play with Martin at all, and i would have Marint in there everytime instead of Bent.....and neither of them will be happy sitting on the bench...

Unless o course, Martin is going?

​That anyone on here would have scored...

He changes the style of play too much, he cant play with Martin, Martin is better and neither will be a sub.

​I'm surprised by the massive decline in your optimism lately Muespach. You used to be a ray of sunshine in an otherwise cloudy day, you used to be able to point out the good. 

I added these two quotes to debate, without paying attention to the poster, then nearly fell off my chair when realised t'were both you!

First comment, do you think that Bent's penalty miss cost us the play-offs? really?

Second comment, Hmmm, Anyone? Really? I mean really really? Could the following:- Sammon? S Davies? Theo? BEST? Macken? Porter? Tyson? Maguire? do I need to go on?

The skill of Bent is making it look massively easy. That's because he's a natural goalscorer. In reality, he's technically not that brilliant, his touch isn't even that good consistently, BUT if you're "Johnny on the spot", you've got a chance.

Bent should be MORE successful in this Derby team than Martin when you consider the control of passing we (in theory) have in the team. 

I would encourage to look past the last couple of months of confused philosophies and think back the previous couple of years, even under Nigel and think how much someone with Bent's natural game would've benefitted the side. Imagine those through balls from Hughes, Dawkins, Russell and Martin. Bent is arguably the best at championship level at bursting through one on one and finishing, except when Wolves are the opposition and cheat!.

Don't panic brother, he's the mustard. When have I ever been wrong?

PistoldPete2

His performance against reading was very worrying... One of the worst ever by a Rams player and not just cos of his peno miss which could well have cost us a play off place. Also he still relies on his pace which will go at some point in the next four years. Maybe he was still ill for the reading game. What have villa offered him, or aren't they going to?

His performance against reading was very worrying... One of the worst ever by a Rams player and not just cos of his peno miss which could well have cost us a play off place. Also he still relies on his pace which will go at some point in the next four years. Maybe he was still ill for the reading game. What have villa offered him, or aren't they going to?

​oh god, get a grip PP.

It's amazing how many "worst ever..." we've had recently!

Remember Kenny Miller? Jon Macken? Stern John? Claude? Griffin? Malcolm? Beck?

It was a crap game. yes. no argument. Bent's game is as good as the service he gets. He had a peno. Nothing else.

Archived