Bent to be offered 4 year deal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. 

I'm glad it's not my money, but he is a player that should age well. Kevin Phillips-esc.

Huge gamble - if he's the difference between promotion and not then it will be well worth it.

Bent would be an idiot not to sign it, too.

Wow. 

I'm glad it's not my money, but he is a player that should age well. Kevin Phillips-esc.

Huge gamble - if he's the difference between promotion and not then it will be well worth it.

Considering it's a free transfer, it does even out, and you can see why. Although the wages will be healthy, the transfer fee will soften the financial burden. Plus it's obviously spread out 

Wow. 

​His positioning and playing off the shoulder of the last defender is as good as it gets. Along with his composure when finishing. He has done superb for us. Easily could have had another half a dozen goals. He will continue to score goals. He isn't about to lose that edge. His USP. No one else will be offering him such a deal. Expect a healthy bump in his wage too when we get promoted. He would be silly not to sign a 3 year deal with an option for a further year. No one in the PL is going to offer him that. 

Wages matter less when you can sign a 20 goal a season striker for free. 

Four years does seem a little excessive but he could be worth it. I presume we're using the length of the contract to make up for lower wages than he would get from a PL side.

For example if we're offering a 4 year deal at 20k a week and Villa offer him a 2 year extension for 40k a week, he'd have quite a tough decision

Thinking about this, it's a pretty good calculated risk by the board

4 years seems crazy long for a 32 year old, but when you consider the most likely scenarios, it's a sensible deal

Clearly we hope to get promoted in the next couple of seasons, with a proven goal scorer like Bent (who has shown that he can score for fun in this division) that but is a no-brainer

Then if we get promoted and it turns out he can't cut it in the Prem any more, then we can still get a fee for him if we decide to sell him to an alternate Championship team (of which there will be plenty of parachute clubs willing to snap our hands off)

If we don't get promoted, then we've probably got bigger issues to worry about and if his wages are genuinely a problem then we can always look to sell him as above

Am i the only one who doesnt want us to sign him?

Obviously a good goal scorer/finisher (excpet for that awful penalty miss that cost us the play offs) but he cant play with Martin at all, and i would have Marint in there everytime instead of Bent.....and neither of them will be happy sitting on the bench...

Unless o course, Martin is going?

Thinking about this, it's a pretty good calculated risk by the board

4 years seems crazy long for a 32 year old, but when you consider the most likely scenarios, it's a sensible deal

Clearly we hope to get promoted in the next couple of seasons, with a proven goal scorer like Bent (who has shown that he can score for fun in this division) that but is a no-brainer

Then if we get promoted and it turns out he can't cut it in the Prem any more, then we can still get a fee for him if we decide to sell him to an alternate Championship team (of which there will be plenty of parachute clubs willing to snap our hands off)

If we don't get promoted, then we've probably got bigger issues to worry about and if his wages are genuinely a problem then we can always look to sell him as above

Darren Bent is 31 not 32. 

I really don't want us to sign Bent, he offers nothing but the odd tap in, I just can't see him fitting into our fully fit team/system. Hopefully if we do sign him he'll prove me wrong.

He will prove you wrong anyway. 

Archived