Raul Albentosa

rad1919

I'd rather a player played a crap long ball that went out for a goal kick when he was lacking options  than trying to play an imposible ball that hits the nearest opposition player and allows them to break at you

Or even an easy pass that hits an opposition player a la Hughes. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not started well at all, however I think you need to give him until the end of the year before you judge him.

I remember Carbonari looking slow and ponderous when he first arrived.  Some players adapt to the English style quicker than others and it looks like Albentosa will take a while to bed in...

He's not started well at all, however I think you need to give him until the end of the year before you judge him.

I remember Carbonari looking slow and ponderous when he first arrived.  Some players adapt to the English style quicker than others and it looks like Albentosa will take a while to bed in...

I thought carbonari always was slow and ponderous. I could never understand why anyone rated him.

I'd rather a player played a crap long ball that went out for a goal kick when he was lacking options  than trying to play an imposible ball that hits the nearest opposition player and allows them to break at you

Incredible. 

You would rather we play hoof ball and it be "safe" than try to play football from the back and occasionally put ourselves in danger..?

Albentosa is a cart horse, you can see it immediately in everything he does or try to do. His positioning is shocking he is dragged all over the place. 

As I said before, the management team obviously don't rate him hence dropping him, substituting him and not giving him a run in the team. 

​The quote feature has gone wrong again.......... Anyway, Troy you misunderstand me. I do not think Richard Keogh is the best thing since sliced bread. I think he needs someone better along side him. He has never however deserved the level of criticism he gets from you. Now, as far as Raul is concerned keogh is head and shoulders above. (Not literally) 

Incredible. 

You would rather we play hoof ball and it be "safe" than try to play football from the back and occasionally put ourselves in danger..?

Albentosa is a cart horse, you can see it immediately in everything he does or try to do. His positioning is shocking he is dragged all over the place. 

As I said before, the management team obviously don't rate him hence dropping him, substituting him and not giving him a run in the team. 

​Completely misunderstood / misinterpreted what I said, but nevermind :rolleyes:

I'm talking about reacting to the situation with common sense.

Sometimes there are no short passing options, nobody wanting the ball, there's no movement, nothing.

I'm yet to see a player make a pass that slaloms around three opposition players but I see plenty of passes that are played low and straight into the first opposition player. As I said an impossible pass, not a difficult one, an impossible one

Trying to force something that simply isn't there is bloody stupid, but if you're going to do it... I'd prefer not to hit the opposition player 10 yards away!

The correct decision would probably be to hold onto the ball, wait for movement (even if it never comes) and even pass it back to the keeper, but fans don't like that, there's an immediate groan for any ball played backwards from the halfway line

Incredible. 

Which then begs the question, why did we buy him?

I think I am going to make my decision on this lad when he has had a full pre-season under his belt. It cant be easy coming to a foreign country where you cant speak the language and being played on the wrong side of CB in arguably the worst performing defence in the latter half of this season.

#scapegoat

Just posted this in the matchday thread but will post it here as well.

Sick of the Albentosa bashing. How often do you see a foreigner come into the English game in January and do well? Hardly ever. Doesnt help when you have a bombscare playing along side you. Yesterday he had a tough game because for some reason Keogh and Grant kept passing to a right footed guy playing on the left of the defence in such a way that made it nearly impossible to do something with his right foot. Had he been left footed the passes would of been fine but players around arent taking his foot preference into consideration. Keogh drives the ball hard across the pitch, thats a hard thing to control with your wrong foot or your prefered foot on the wrong side of the pitch.

Before the minutes applause for Colin   Bloomfield yesterday Warnock had to show him what to do to clap so clearly isn't comfortable with the language yet. He doesn't look fully fit either.

A full pre-season and a few months of learning the language should improve him no ends.

I think I am going to make my decision on this lad when he has had a full pre-season under his belt. It cant be easy coming to a foreign country where you cant speak the language and being played on the wrong side of CB in arguably the worst performing defence in the latter half of this season.

​I've omitted the scapegoat bit because it's silly, but yes -  also consider his pregnant wife is curently back over in Spain, that's always going to be a distraction, footballer or not.

Just posted this in the matchday thread but will post it here as well.

Sick of the Albentosa bashing. How often do you see a foreigner come into the English game in January and do well? Hardly ever. Doesnt help when you have a bombscare playing along side you. Yesterday he had a tough game because for some reason Keogh and Grant kept passing to a right footed guy playing on the left of the defence in such a way that made it nearly impossible to do something with his right foot. Had he been left footed the passes would of been fine but players around arent taking his foot preference into consideration. Keogh drives the ball hard across the pitch, thats a hard thing to control with your wrong foot or your prefered foot on the wrong side of the pitch.

I think Mr Stimac didn't do badly when he came in as a foreign player not speaking the language etc etc. 

the whole not speaking the language, adapting to the English game etc is complete rubbish. It is still just 11 v 11, the goals are the same size etc etc. 

Albentosa and Shotton are players that aren't good enough to start but are on long term contracts and have only just joined in January. 

Ideally we sell both of them and buy some better players but who is going to want to buy them.

Difficult situation because Albentosa can't play on the left side of the CB's and we have Keogh who plays every game of the season so what is the point of having Albentosa.

I love that a pre season will always turn a player who looks a donkey into a good one. 

Reputation means nothing to me it's what they do on the pitch. 

​if yesterday was the only time you'd seen Derby play, you'd consider each and every player a donkey, in fact the last 10 games maybe. So what's the difference? You've seen better performances previously from Hughes, but yesterday he was rubbish, but if his reputation means nothing to you and you only consider what he does on the pitch, is Hughes now a donkey?

Archived