Two points grinding my gears at the minute...

Ambitious

I think people are being a little unfair on Mac.

To have three defensive midfielders injured at the same time is utterly ridiculous and such bad luck. You can say 'why haven't we got a plan B?' well what would you play?

When you have a system/identity you buy players to fit specific roles. It's illogical to have some players suited to 4-3-3, some suited to 4-4-2, some suited to 3-5-2 etc. in your squad.

You won't find many other clubs around the world who have THREE DMs all out injured at the same time. Let alone your star striker too.

So harping back to the point - Why haven't we changed it? Well, simply, because we can't. We can't just switch to 4-4-2 bcause we don't have the personnel, likewise with other formations.

The current 4-2-3-1 is about as close to our natural game that we've got, so that's what we role with.

Regarding our recent form, we haven't actually played that badly. Yes Brentford and Wigan first-half was pretty woeful, but there were also performances against Brighton, Wolves and Birmingham where we were far better than our results suggest.

Our defence, though, is inexcusable. You can't teach bad habbits out of players, you simply can't. As a coach, you can work on players' weaknesses, but a weakness shouldn't be something so ridiculous as passing the ball correctly or not clearing your lines.

As a footballer, you're scouted first andforemost for your ability to kick a ball. The recent mistakes from Christie, Grant and Forsyth - you can't eradicate this, because you can't teach somebody to kick a ball properly. You can teach positioning, organisation, movement, speed work - but not kicking a ball. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To have three defensive midfielders injured at the same time is utterly ridiculous and such bad luck. You can say 'why haven't we got a plan B?' well what would you play?

When you have a system/identity you buy players to fit specific roles. It's illogical to have some players suited to 4-3-3, some suited to 4-4-2, some suited to 3-5-2 etc. in your squad.

You won't find many other clubs around the world who have THREE DMs all out injured at the same time. Let alone your star striker too.

So harping back to the point - Why haven't we changed it? Well, simply, because we can't. We can't just switch to 4-4-2 bcause we don't have the personnel, likewise with other formations.

The current 4-2-3-1 is about as close to our natural game that we've got, so that's what we role with.

Regarding our recent form, we haven't actually played that badly. Yes Brentford and Wigan first-half was pretty woeful, but there were also performances against Brighton, Wolves and Birmingham where we were far better than our results suggest.

Our defence, though, is inexcusable. You can't teach bad habbits out of players, you simply can't. As a coach, you can work on players' weaknesses, but a weakness shouldn't be something so ridiculous as passing the ball correctly or not clearing your lines.

As a footballer, you're scouted first andforemost for your ability to kick a ball. The recent mistakes from Christie, Grant and Forsyth - you can't eradicate this, because you can't teach somebody to kick a ball properly. You can teach positioning, organisation, movement, speed work - but not kicking a ball. 

​Completely agree, our system worked so well for us last season that Mac has built his team to fit this. He made sure every position had cover but the injuries were unbelievable. I think if we hadn't lost at least Martin, Eustace and Buxton we would not have just witnessed the winless run we went on. But its not all be down to injuries, it began through injuries but lack of confidence and a clear lack of self belief has left the players and the squad looking a shadow of itself in terms of solidity from about 2 months ago. 

This lack of confidence has lead our defence to pretty much lose the plot, at some point during the last about 7 games most of our defenders have made defensive howlers which are just ridiculous at this level and we have never made the level or the amount of them in such a period of time as we have this season except in the prem 11 point season. 

Now McClarens comments about it being "we are who we are" doesn't necessarily mean he isn't trying to do something about it or he hasn't been nor that he's given up and isn't even bothering with defensive coaching anymore. As a manager he can help them improve, their positioning, their reading of the game, their organisation as a defence but passing the ball to the opposition or mis kicking it is simply a lack of concentration. 

But why are we lapsing in concentration so much at such vital part of the season? Surely the goal of the premier league is more than enough to drive a player on to be the best they can and make sure they 100 per cent concentrate. But no matter what the prize is at the end of the road, if you have absolutely no confidence and if in their minds they are second guessing everything, worrying about what will happen if they slip up, thats when they lose their concentration. When your confident you get on with it and don't even think about what would happen if anything went wrong, when you have no confidence all you think about is what will go wrong. 

That is where our current mindset is at defensively at least, they like the fans are more than likely now going into every game thinking to themselves we are going to concede, I'm probably going to make a mistake because thats how things are going. If we can turn our mindset around and get a consistent defence in place, then hopefully we will see a dramatic improvement.

I do agree to an extent that I do believe there are players in our defence who are simply not good enough, but there are certainly others who are just having a bad time of it right now and I am sure their confidence will return and they will play more to their ability soon.

Thee has to be something going on in the training ground, no Mac can't stop individual mistakes, but when we're making these mistakes every game for the last 10 games something's gone wrong 

grant can't kick a ball

forsyth can't pass 

Christie's forgotten what football is 

bryson is ineffective

hendrick is the invisible man

this all doesn't happen overnight, the players just look so disinterested, like they don't even care for promotion, and you've got to ask questions why.

you've also got to wonder why all the injuries, gotta be one hell of a coincidence to get so many, if it's because the players are training so hard then why are we ****?

has Mac lost the dressing room, rumours of Bucko and the coffe cup & bryson ain't a happy chappy, or has Mac lost interest despite what he's said and one foot already in Newcastle?

more than one factor in our capitulation, and I don't have a clue why

​Sorry, felt the need to belatedly respond.

I don't think they look "so disinterested"... particularly in the way that (whether you think they should be in that position or not is irrelevant) they fought back at Huddersfield and Millwall, the way the goals were celebrated and the urgency shown to get the game restarted. In addition, some of the individual reactions... Keogh thumping the ground to me doesn't look he doesn't care. Grant screaming out in frustration doesn't look like he doesn't care. Hughes' celebration after goal 3 at Huddersfield, the melee in the back of the goal after goal 4 etc. etc.

There is something going on behind the scenes, I am certain of that. The tight knit unit of team MATES has long gone. 

Bryson giving the shhh to the fans. Keogh bollocking his own players constantly. Players disappearing into their shells during games (Christie/Forsyth). Grant going from hero to zero. Martin being filmed on the bench in games (Wolves majorly) shaking his head after we concede another ridiculous goal...

It isn't a happy camp and while I don't buy the rumours (Not that anyone actually KNOWS the rumour) about a coffee cup, I do believe something has gone off behind the scenes. 

Maybe the Newcastle confusion and uncertainty has unsettled players, maybe the constant rotation of the back 4 has unsettled players, maybe more loans coming in when popular lads like Coutts were let go back to Nigel without being given a chance to get back to the level he was at, has unsettled the players... 

Goodness knows. I believe it is probably a combination of at least two of these. Personally I think the Newcastle debacle is a major factor. 

​Personally I have no issue with Bryson doing the "sssh"... for me it's a little embarrassing that our players feel it necessary to do that as an illustration to some 'supporters' to "shut the F up". I have no problem with Martin shaking his head when Derby concede a goal... are you monitoring all players all the time? I would be more concerned if he was happy and smiling. What sort of reaction do you want?

How are you certain there is something going on behind the scenes? In who's eyes has Grant gone from hero to zero? How do you know Coutts was popular?

​Absolutely agree - this can be explained in 4 words

Michael Carrick Manchester Utd.

Without him the team is simply nowhere near as efficient. With him, they look markedly better. How many players does the World's richest football club have to stand in for him in his absence?

​The last I heard, football matches weren't decided before the games kicked off. Not only that, you can't re-load the saved game, tweak the formation and re-play the game until you get the expected outcome.

Problem is i wasn't surprised by the result at Millwall on Saturday so I didn't get myself worked up when they started scoring, where as 5 months ago I would have

​Personally I have no issue with Bryson doing the "sssh"... for me it's a little embarrassing that our players feel it necessary to do that as an illustration to some 'supporters' to "shut the F up". I have no problem with Martin shaking his head when Derby concede a goal... are you monitoring all players all the time? I would be more concerned if he was happy and smiling. What sort of reaction do you want?

How are you certain there is something going on behind the scenes? In who's eyes has Grant gone from hero to zero? How do you know Coutts was popular?

Simply my opinion, fella. 

​Sorry mate but I think she might've given it to you in that situation ;)

Unless you were cheating as well of course, or practice shoddy sexual health.

​Shhhhh, that bit of the *story doesn't make me look good.

*Entirely fictional

When Schteeve came in he said we had good players who just needed to play consistently. This is exactly what he achieved until recently.

He also said it's all about performances at the business end of the season - well that's gone t1ts up.

One other thing, wasn't it reported that at the end of last season the players gave up their season bonus in exchange for a bigger bonus following promotion this season - a great gesture that really is hard to explain with the recent performances.

Something has gone very wrong since game 33 against Charlton at home.

When Schteeve came in he said we had good players who just needed to play consistently. This is exactly what he achieved until recently.

He also said it's all about performances at the business end of the season - well that's gone t1ts up.

One other thing, wasn't it reported that at the end of last season the players gave up their season bonus in exchange for a bigger bonus following promotion this season - a great gesture that really is hard to explain with the recent performances.

Something has gone very wrong since game 33 against Charlton at home.

​Hi Sam Rush. Hope you figure it out soon.

Something has gone very wrong since game 33 against Charlton at home

the bonus story was reported as incorrect in the DET

quite right about having a system and identity and players being signed to for that. However, it took too long to try a formation that more suited the players available.

the bonus story was reported as incorrect in the DET

​The bonus story was totally made-up idiotic typical ITK half-fan garbage.

No change there then.

​Great post, totally agree with it except one thing.

You can teach ball kicking and do it very efficiently too. All you need is goal with the net as tight as possible and start banging the ball in. I would rather run a marathon than continue this more than half hour though. Two weeks and massive change can be achieved, one season and it is as good as your naturally preferred foot. I'm confident it would even work with Sammon!

Archived