Two points grinding my gears at the minute...

Ambitious

Right, as I attempt to rest my weary head after a long weekend, I just want to make a few points regarding rest dealings that have bothered me ever-so-slightly. 

McClaren seemingly accepting mistakes by the backline

Right, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read what he said about our backline and effectively said 'we are what we are'. I just find this incredibly lazy. It's an attitude that has certainly rubbed off on fans and perhaps even the players. 

He can bemoan injuries all he wants, however, we started with a player we signed from La Liga on the bench against Millwall. Not only that, a player that had performed outstandingly for another side in this division - Rawson - couldn't even make the bench. 

Warnock, a player he signed, was the captain of a side in this division when he was bought. Forsyth is a Scotland international. Shotton has spent the majority of his career in the Premier League and Keogh is Republic of Ireland international, with numerous individual awards tied to his name. 

What I don't get, or like too much, is why McClaren can't get them organised like he had done earlier in the season. It seems like he had a method and rode the quest of the wave but as soon as it started to crack, he had no answer. 

If you have Ramsplayer then trawl back to the first couple of games of the season and watch Christie. Now, when you look at him, he's second guessing every single touch on the ball. For me, that's the coaches job to ensure that he snaps out of that. It's incredible to me that they haven't even been able halt it a little. 

I'm definitely not anti-McClaren but his comment in the press after the Millwall game just rubbed me up the wrong way, and he clearly hasn't been able to fix it since our streak of clean sheets capitulated into chaos.

Our management aren't dealing with poor players - far from it. However, the lack of organisation, management and confidence is making them look just that.

At the minute we look like the most porous side in the division, but we have an 18-year-old unable to break into the team that has performed very well at this level - how does that add up? 

The lack of steel in midfield... 

I made this point on a number of occasions, but it is still one that amazes me. The lack of a defensive midfielder is the reason we're not as solid at the back is what I am told and seems to be an excuse - which to a certain point, I agree. 

However, like I mentioned with the defence, we're not having to put out footballers who don't know how to tackle, 'do a job' and change their ways to fill a much needed hole. 

Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson and more recently Dawkins are all good footballers. In the former three's case, three of the most highly rated midfielders in the division. So, why on earth can't they do a simple task and defend their backline? 

I just can't get my head around it. I just don't think its unreasonable that we should expect Hendrick and Hughes to be able to do a proper CM job together. They are players that, in my opinion, will need to learn the defensive side of the game if they are to make the top level. 

Overall: 

I couldn't disagree more over McClaren's comment of 'we are what we are' and stand by that it just comes across lazy. 

We probably have more internationals at all levels than any other side in the division. Not only that, we have one of the best under-21 sides in the division too. We still have a number of good options and good players that should be able to get us up. 

Defensively, the personnel is clearly not a problem. We could lose every senior defender in the side to injury and still play a back four consisting of three England youth internationals and a defender that was playing first team football in Holland's top division. Just take a little bit of time and reflect on how ludicrous that sounds - especially when we have been hemorrhaging goals in the past few months. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the defence let us down yesterday.

keeper error

bad penalty decision 

plus unable to judge penalty decision

he seems to have discarded hanson and doesn't want to use the u21s and reserves.

Right, as I attempt to rest my weary head after a long weekend, I just want to make a few points regarding rest dealings that have bothered me ever-so-slightly. 

Right, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read what he said about our backline and effectively said 'we are what we are'. I just find this incredibly lazy. It's an attitude that has certainly rubbed off on fans and perhaps even the players. 

He can bemoan injuries all he wants, however, we started with a player we signed from La Liga on the bench against Millwall. Not only that, a player that had performed outstandingly for another side in this division - Rawson - couldn't even make the bench. 

Warnock, a player he signed, was the captain of a side in this division when he was bought. Forsyth is a Scotland international. Shotton has spent the majority of his career in the Premier League and Keogh is Republic of Ireland international, with numerous individual awards tied to his name. 

What I don't get, or like too much, is why McClaren can't get them organised like he had done earlier in the season. It seems like he had a method and rode the quest of the wave but as soon as it started to crack, he had no answer. 

If you have Ramsplayer then trawl back to the first couple of games of the season and watch Christie. Now, when you look at him, he's second guessing every single touch on the ball. For me, that's the coaches job to ensure that he snaps out of that. It's incredible to me that they haven't even been able halt it a little. 

I'm definitely not anti-McClaren but his comment in the press after the Millwall game just rubbed me up the wrong way, and he clearly hasn't been able to fix it since our streak of clean sheets capitulated into chaos.

Our management aren't dealing with poor players - far from it. However, the lack of organisation, management and confidence is making them look just that.

At the minute we look like the most porous side in the division, but we have an 18-year-old unable to break into the team that has performed very well at this level - how does that add up? 

I made this point on a number of occasions, but it is still one that amazes me. The lack of a defensive midfielder is the reason we're not as solid at the back is what I am told and seems to be an excuse - which to a certain point, I agree. 

However, like I mentioned with the defence, we're not having to put out footballers who don't know how to tackle, 'do a job' and change their ways to fill a much needed hole. 

Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson and more recently Dawkins are all good footballers. In the former three's case, three of the most highly rated midfielders in the division. So, why on earth can't they do a simple task and defend their backline? 

I just can't get my head around it. I just don't think its unreasonable that we should expect Hendrick and Hughes to be able to do a proper CM job together. They are players that, in my opinion, will need to learn the defensive side of the game if they are to make the top level. 

Overall: 

I couldn't disagree more over McClaren's comment of 'we are what we are' and stand by that it just comes across lazy. 

We probably have more internationals at all levels than any other side in the division. Not only that, we have one of the best under-21 sides in the division too. We still have a number of good options and good players that should be able to get us up. 

Defensively, the personnel is clearly not a problem. We could lose every senior defender in the side to injury and still play a back four consisting of three England youth internationals and a defender that was playing first team football in Holland's top division. Just take a little bit of time and reflect on how ludicrous that sounds - especially when we have been hemorrhaging goals in the past few months. 

​I think you need to change your avatar back to what it was when we were good.

Overall: 

Why do you take McClarens after match comments so seriously a lot of it is tongue in cheek stuff .

McClaren knows what he's doing and I we fail to go up you can say it's all his fault and not before. 

PistoldPete2

I think Mac is privately tearing the rest of his hair out. But when there are so many errors, at this stage of season there is little he can do. Injuries and loss of form mean he has few options in defence and none at all at CDM. Berating his defenders who are low on confidence already ain't going to help either. I think he's just sticking to the positives... We can score goals and twice now we've come back from 3-1 down  to draw away from home. Three times if you go back to Rotherham. We will go into the play offs (or not) with the hand we have been dealt , unfortunately if that means no Thorne or bucko or whitbread and no reliable full backs then it will be up to the forwards to score enough goals to see us thru. 

Two points grinding my gears at the minute...

Birmingham City at home 2015.

Would be safely in the play offs now, and could be working hard on getting our first choice team drilled ready for the semi, allowing also some players a bit more time not to be rushed back for the "must not lose" game this weekend.

But that all said, that's football - love the unpredictability of it all. COYR!

Thee has to be something going on in the training ground, no Mac can't stop individual mistakes, but when we're making these mistakes every game for the last 10 games something's gone wrong 

grant can't kick a ball

forsyth can't pass 

Christie's forgotten what football is 

bryson is ineffective

hendrick is the invisible man

this all doesn't happen overnight, the players just look so disinterested, like they don't even care for promotion, and you've got to ask questions why.

you've also got to wonder why all the injuries, gotta be one hell of a coincidence to get so many, if it's because the players are training so hard then why are we ****?

has Mac lost the dressing room, rumours of Bucko and the coffe cup & bryson ain't a happy chappy, or has Mac lost interest despite what he's said and one foot already in Newcastle?

more than one factor in our capitulation, and I don't have a clue why

I think Mac is privately tearing the rest of his hair out. But when there are so many errors, at this stage of season there is little he can do. Injuries and loss of form mean he has few options in defence and none at all at CDM. Berating his defenders who are low on confidence already ain't going to help either. I think he's just sticking to the positives... We can score goals and twice now we've come back from 3-1 down  to draw away from home. Three times if you go back to Rotherham. We will go into the play offs (or not) with the hand we have been dealt , unfortunately if that means no Thorne or bucko or whitbread and no reliable full backs then it will be up to the forwards to score enough goals to see us thru. 

​See I just can't agree with that. As I said in my post, he's got supposedly three of the best CMs in the division, yet he can't get one of them to play the holding role effectively? Bournemouth don't use a CDM and seem okay. I don't get why they need babysitting - they should be more than capable of doing a job in the middle of the park alone.

We've got a lot of options in defence; more than most at this level. again, I just can't get my head around them being so disorganised and why they lack confidence so much. I would say that's one thing that McClaren has severely let slip. 

There is plenty McClaren can do, even at this stage of the season, and we need him too. 

As I said, he's not dealing with poor players. He's dealing with players who should comfortably be able to see out clean sheets regularly at this level. Even if Buxton, who in my opinion is our best, is injured.

There is something going on behind the scenes, I am certain of that. The tight knit unit of team MATES has long gone. 

Bryson giving the shhh to the fans. Keogh bollocking his own players constantly. Players disappearing into their shells during games (Christie/Forsyth). Grant going from hero to zero. Martin being filmed on the bench in games (Wolves majorly) shaking his head after we concede another ridiculous goal...

It isn't a happy camp and while I don't buy the rumours (Not that anyone actually KNOWS the rumour) about a coffee cup, I do believe something has gone off behind the scenes. 

Maybe the Newcastle confusion and uncertainty has unsettled players, maybe the constant rotation of the back 4 has unsettled players, maybe more loans coming in when popular lads like Coutts were let go back to Nigel without being given a chance to get back to the level he was at, has unsettled the players... 

Goodness knows. I believe it is probably a combination of at least two of these. Personally I think the Newcastle debacle is a major factor. 

When a manager loses the dressing room or there are problems behind the scenes you don't tend to get fighting comebacks such as Huddersfield & Millwall.

​And you can throw in Rotherham to that mix too. Three games where if what Troy was alluding to were true, the recovery to snatch a point would have been replaced by a complete capitulation.

​And you can throw in Rotherham to that mix too. Three games where if what Troy was alluding to were true, the recovery to snatch a point would have been replaced by a complete capitulation.

​That's true. 

All is dandy. 3 wins in 15 is purely a coincidence and nothing to worry about. 

As you were. 

​That's true. 

All is dandy. 3 wins in 15 is purely a coincidence and nothing to worry about. 

As you were. 

​Not the point, Troy - although I'm surprised that you didn't use the dickish term 'happy clapper'.

Should we really be having to fight back against Millwall and Rotherham :ph34r:

​The last I heard, football matches weren't decided before the games kicked off. Not only that, you can't re-load the saved game, tweak the formation and re-play the game until you get the expected outcome.

I don't doubt that McClaren is a great coach, every comment about him from within the game says that, I have increasing doubts about whether he is a manager (and despite his title, that is what he is). I suspect that he needs more than Paul Simpson in his coaching team to share / exchange ideas with. The defence in particular does not have the look of an organised unit, and while I don't want to be involved in too much Keogh bashing, the way he follows the ball leaving his own man and lacks composure does not make him the ideal person to organise a defence around. Something has gone wrong behind the scenes, that is clear. They have gone from an exciting well drilled team who are comfortable on the ball, to a bunch of players with little cohesion. In my opinion, it is more that we have some very talented players that are digging us out of these holes rather than a huge fighting spirit. Roll on the end of the season and let's get this sorted out - players or coach, I don't mind which.

Archived