Derby County to target Paul Clement should Steve McClaren leave this summer

Ambitious

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​basically, he was dealt a bad hand. Was given no money to spend, had to sell his best players after the deadline had passed (unable to replace), and worked for actual convicted crooks. Possibly given the hardest task of any manager we've ever had.

Went on to be successful somewhere else though.

He was a complete and utter ****......that didn't help.

​He basically has no playing career - he got into coaching at 23 (thanks, Wiki)

​Well to compare to others

Jose Mourinho - 94 games

AVB had no career

Avram Grant had no career

Rafa Benitez spent almost all his career at Real Madrid B

Brendan Rodgers had no career

Roy Hodgson had no career

Great players dont make great managers

I'm always intrigued by how many people take what is reported in any news article as something resembling the accurate truth, and then go on to discuss it as if they would know any more than the person that wrote it. These types of articles are more about creating something to talk about and even continue to report on, than it is about being fact.

​Well to compare to others

Jose Mourinho - 94 games

AVB had no career

Avram Grant had no career

Rafa Benitez spent almost all his career at Real Madrid B

Brendan Rodgers had no career

Roy Hodgson had no career

Great players dont make great managers

Except for Cruyff, Beckenbaur, Pep, Dalglish, Capello....

I've gotten to the point now of either go up and keep the Mc or stay down and lose the Mc.

To be fair Clough left a great team who just seemed to be brilliant one minute and awful the next the Mc fixed that. I'm pretty sre another good coach will keep that going.

TobyWanKenobi

What's the difference between Ronaldo and Simon Dawkins ehh?

​Ronaldo hasn't scored a single championship goal! Dawkins has 7! A clear winner.

As much as I love the Mac, (and I do love him), all the possible replacements being bandied about are getting me quite excited. They're far more exciting possibilities then we had when Clough left in the first place. Even Mac wasn't that exciting a prospect at that time. And back when we got Clough, our options were really limited. It means we have some stature now, which is really exciting.

I almost want Mac to leave so that we can get someone exciting in. This Clements guy could be crap, but he could also be the next Mourinho. But, better the devil you know, we know that Mac is very, very good, and I'd much rather we stick with him.

At least we know Mac's not likely to get poached by England, even if he never puts another foot wrong and wins the Champions league with us.

Archived