Derby County to target Paul Clement should Steve McClaren leave this summer

Ambitious

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because nobody should have to visit the Daily Mail website...

Derby are targeting Real Madrid coach Paul Clement to replace current boss Steve McClaren.
The Rams, who are hoping to be clinch promotion into the Premier League via the play-offs, have begun the process of identifying candidates for McClaren's job.
The former England manager is Newcastle's first choice to replace caretaker boss John Carver ahead of next season.

Clement is currently a Real Madrid coach and works next to Carlo Ancelotti alongside the biggest stars
McClaren's potential switch to St James' Park is one of the worst kept secrets in English football, and Derby chiefs are fully aware that they are likely to be searching for a new manager this summer.
And Clement is a leading candidate to replace McClaren if, as expected, he leaves for Tyneside.

Sportsmail understands Clement is aware of Derby's interest; and the Championship club will make formal contact with Real once McClaren's future is settled.
The 42-year-old has established a reputation as one of European football's leading coaches in recent years, working mainly under Carlo Ancelotti at Chelsea, Paris St Germain and now Real.

And Derby are ready to offer Clement the opportunity to cut his managerial teeth at Pride Park.
It remains to be seen whether Clement would leave Bernabeu to replace McClaren, but with Ancelotti's future unclear, this summer could provide suitable circumstances for the duo to part ways.
McClaren could yet decide to stay at Derby should he lead them into the top-flight next season.
Nevertheless, the Rams have begun planning for life without their current boss.

Derby are targeting Real Madrid coach Paul Clement to replace current boss Steve McClaren.
The Rams, who are hoping to be clinch promotion into the Premier League via the play-offs, have begun the process of identifying candidates for McClaren's job.
The former England manager is Newcastle's first choice to replace caretaker boss John Carver ahead of next season.

Clement is currently a Real Madrid coach and works next to Carlo Ancelotti alongside the biggest stars
McClaren's potential switch to St James' Park is one of the worst kept secrets in English football, and Derby chiefs are fully aware that they are likely to be searching for a new manager this summer.
And Clement is a leading candidate to replace McClaren if, as expected, he leaves for Tyneside.

It's high time the club and McClaren made a definitive statement. If he's on his way, come clean and get it sorted. 

Mid McClaren has been making plans behind everyone's back, he ought to be disciplined. 

If he's stated to the club that he's going, let him go now and make sure he can't come crawling back when he's out of work come November. 

Make your choice and tell us, McClaren. Stay or eff off. I no longer care but I just want the club to get back to playing football matches.

TobyWanKenobi

I remember the last time we hired a highly respected coach to be manager. Fella called Phil Brown. I forget how it went...

I remember the last time we hired a highly respected coach to be manager. Fella called Phil Brown. I forget how it went...

​basically, he was dealt a bad hand. Was given no money to spend, had to sell his best players after the deadline had passed (unable to replace), and worked for actual convicted crooks. Possibly given the hardest task of any manager we've ever had.

Went on to be successful somewhere else though.

I would love him here. He is one of the best coaches in the world but whether he can manage is a different story. Players like ibra,bale,ronaldo have nothing but praise for him. If you have time I would recommend watching the real madrid training drills that clement organises. Very intense and possession based

His non-league playing career is so unimpressive that it doesn't even get mentioned in any detail in any of his biogs

He was however a PE teacher, so he should at the very least be able to stare at the players in the shower

​so was Wenger.............

Archived