The future is bright

Posh Ram

If we go up, this topic is probably void, seeing as we'll need to drastically improve.

Two of the most important players in this squad came through our youth system, in Hendrick and Hughes. Without their development, particularly Hughes, I think it'd be unlikely we'd be in the good position we're in atm. 

If we don't get promoted, could we see some more academy players coming through? It seems like we have a lot of good prospects at the edge of the squad and the under-21s have done well this season. 

There are a couple of problem positions in the squad - any chance they might be filled by academy products?

Left back - Warnock is old, and probably not the solution. Forsyth will probably never be a Premier League calibre player. Could we see Max Lowe come through?

Right back - Shotton is ok but often has to come in at centre half. Christie is pretty appalling, and if West Ham come in with a bid of £1.5 million plus, I'd take it and run. Could Ssewankambo fill that position? He's quite versatile too, so valuable to have on the bench.

Holding midfield - if Thorne's fit, he should be the lynchpin of our side, but is Hanson good enough to be the back-up? I thought he did well against Norwich. Again, offers a bit of versatility on the bench, as well as being great at set-pieces.

Centre half - if we don't go up, I'd take a decent offer from Keogh. Albentosa is still settling in but I think he has the right attributes to produce, so he should be the starter. Could Rawson be our 3rd/4th choice CB, after Raul, Bucko and another left-footer? Sounds like he was decent at Rotherham.

Winger - Mason Bennett is a tough one to judge, but I feel like he's close to getting it together. He was quite impressive when he played this season. Obviously not going to be first choice, but with Ward always injured, is he good enough to be the fourth choice guy? Same goes for Calero and Santos. I reckon one of them will break out into the first team next season.

Obviously not all of these youngsters will be in the squad but I'd have thought one or two are good enough to make it. Would solve some of the current problems at a low cost, so that we can buy quality, not quantity, in the upcoming transfer window.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stevie mac mentioned Calero and Santos on his pre match interview today, hoped they would play a part from pre season onwards and save us some money on loan fees, so looking good for those 2 at least.

Its a tricky one. I think there is more likelihood of the kids coming through if we don't go up. Much as i would like to start blooding youth asap, the prem is not the place (if we are there) as we would no doubt be struggling.

we obviously don't see the kids as Mac does but it is perhaps one of the disappointments of the season that we either have not consciously set out to train our own replacements like for like to cover injuries/provide depth, or we did but haven't managed to bring sufficient up to standard. result being we have gone out for loans.

Stevie mac mentioned Calero and Santos on his pre match interview today, hoped they would play a part from pre season onwards and save us some money on loan fees, so looking good for those 2 at least.

​My brother highly rates Calero and as been raving about him all season

Whilst the future is looking far from shabby as far as youth goes, I'd be surprised if any of those players solved any of our problems in the first team next year.
My biggest hopes were on Bennett and Calero at the start of the year but after both having awful loan spells this year there's no evidence either will solve anything for us bar winning Under 21 matches.

If we don't go up I expect us to splash the cash on 3/4 players. 2 defenders and hopefully Ince and Bent. An opportunity for loans again. But I would expect half a dozen of the U21 side to be floating in and around the 1st team. That defense needs drastically sorting out. 

If we don't go up you'd have to think that Rawson and Lowe would have a good chance of being at least in and around the first team next season with our defensive woes, maybe the odd appearance but unless either of them pull up trees in pre season they won't break into the first 11. 

Further up the pitch I think Bennett will continue to be involved like he was this season and maybe Calero might get a few more bench appearances. 

All depends on who we sign though and who leaves I guess.

With McClaren off to Newcastle it's obvious Paul Simpson will be the next manager, must have spoke about his plans for next year, offered a little bit of advice.

Also sounds like we're off on a cost cutting season as well. 

We're doomed.

We could have a lot of players potentially come into the squad next season, especially if we stay down. 

Roos could come in, he has shown this season he has a lot of promise. He perhaps needs that pre-season where the leash can come off a little and get him hardened for a season as number one. 

Ssewankambo was playing regularly in the Eredivisie before he was bought to play for our U21s

Rawson and Hanson have played a blinder at U21 and have done relatively well at this level in their small showings.

Lowe, Vernham and Zanzala are three very exciting prospects, they will probably take another year before they're in consideration though. 

Klobenz, Bunjaku and Guy have all impressed massively this season, so perhaps would want at least a chance to prove themselves in the first team.

Santos and Calero, too, as McClaren touched on. Calero, for me, is a massive prospect. He has so much technical ability that if we can't do anything with it then the coaching staff need to take a long hard look at themselves. Santos is a lot more direct. 

Bennett, I think everyone will have high hopes for again. I just hope he stays injury free next season. Thomas will be in and around the team, I'm sure. However, I just don't see a light in him to be honest. 

We could have a lot of players potentially come into the squad next season, especially if we stay down. 

Roos could come in, he has shown this season he has a lot of promise. He perhaps needs that pre-season where the leash can come off a little and get him hardened for a season as number one. 

Ssewankambo was playing regularly in the Eredivisie before he was bought to play for our U21s

Rawson and Hanson have played a blinder at U21 and have done relatively well at this level in their small showings.

Lowe, Vernham and Zanzala are three very exciting prospects, they will probably take another year before they're in consideration though. 

Klobenz, Bunjaku and Guy have all impressed massively this season, so perhaps would want at least a chance to prove themselves in the first team.

Santos and Calero, too, as McClaren touched on. Calero, for me, is a massive prospect. He has so much technical ability that if we can't do anything with it then the coaching staff need to take a long hard look at themselves. Santos is a lot more direct. 

Bennett, I think everyone will have high hopes for again. I just hope he stays injury free next season. Thomas will be in and around the team, I'm sure. However, I just don't see a light in him to be honest. 

​I really like Bennett, when he came on against Blackburn he showed some really good strength to set up Bent's second goal, I know his loan spell didn't work so well at Bradford, but I would like to see him loaned out again

Thomas reminds me of that chicken in Rocky 1

Yep definitely Calero needs to be given a chance I was hoping we might have seen a couple more appearances from him this season in place of Hendrick 

Callum 'aka Michael Owen' Ball and Mark 'Shaun Barker's understudy' O'Brien should serve as a reminder that not all 'decent' U21 players make. 

After watching Grant, Camp, Tudgay, Addison, Barnes etc. over the years have nothing more than average careers and now seeing Jeff Hendrick go the same way, I'm hardly expecting the current batch if youth players no matter how talented to come through and take us to the next level.

Chances are, only one or two of our impressive U21 team will actually play at Champiosnhip level or above for the remainder of their careers.

Harsh, but true.

If Mac does go to be fair we'd get some money from that.

IMO drastic I know I think we need a centre half who is good at talking. A CDM who's like a leader we have missed Eustace's presence in there getting people to up there game. Last but not least is a striker for plan B or for the bench.

The other option is to get a whole new back four in but can't see that happening.

Archived