Millwall vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An error prone left back at centre half and a centre half on the bench. 

Do they flip a coin before each game to decide who plays where? 

Seemed to sure up at the back massively when Raul came on. Maybe we should take bets on who starts at the back against Reading. 

Naylor-Shotton-Keogh-Christie? Flip a coin. 

​I don't get why Raul didn't start. I am basing this on RD so it may be wrong but they made it sound as though our defence were constantly out muscled. And when he came on they praised him making the strong physical challenges. We have had far too many defensive changes of late and not all of those have had to be made.

Having seen the goals i feel slightly better......

yes Grant makes a bad error but forsyth's attempt to clear is genuine, he just can't quite reach it in time.

However the penalty award v keogh is absolutely ridiculous. 

Maybe the ref tried to even it up.

Having seen the goals i feel slightly better......

yes Grant makes a bad error but forsyth's attempt to clear is genuine, he just can't quite reach it in time.

However the penalty award v keogh is absolutely ridiculous. 

Maybe the ref tried to even it up.

​Football's about opinions, and I completely disagree!

Obviously a hopeless slice by Grant, but Fozzy was ridiculous and it did sum up the way he often panics if he has too much time. There were no forwards anywhere near and all he needed to do was stop the ball and play it calmly away. Instead he took an almighty swipe and sliced it into the goal.

Despite the fuss on Radio Derby, I thought Keogh's was a clear penalty. I had it on slowmo but couldn't see it hit his foot - it looked to me as if the ball struck his arm directly, in one of those situations where you'd say it was a great save if the keeper had blocked it that way. Evenif it did hit his foot and bounce onto his arm, his arm was up above his head in a way it would inevitably block any shot aimed there. Ref had no choice. Top defenders never slide in like that with their arms up in the air, effectively spreading themselves.

Couldn't see properly what happened with Hendo and their second pen. I think the lino gave the one on Ince.

I've watched it again and again- i can't fault fozzy. He's at full stretch trying to wrap his leg around the ball.

similarly the penalty - the ball hits keogh's arm but handball has to be deliberate handball. the ball is struck at close proximity. Keogh has no time to move his arm to block the ball or to move his arm out of the way. There's no way keogh could have intended to handle it. The interpretation of the law seems to be changing so that unless you have your arms glued to your sides, if the ball hits your arm, its a pen. Nonsense. 

I'll give you the latter point though. Ince does get a shove in the back and so its not a soft penalty as Ed Dawes claimed.

Obviously a hopeless slice by Grant, but Fozzy was ridiculous and it did sum up the way he often panics if he has too much time. There were no forwards anywhere near and all he needed to do was stop the ball and play it calmly away. Instead he took an almighty swipe and sliced it into the goal.

Despite the fuss on Radio Derby, I thought Keogh's was a clear penalty. I had it on slowmo but couldn't see it hit his foot - it looked to me as if the ball struck his arm directly, in one of those situations where you'd say it was a great save if the keeper had blocked it that way. Evenif it diad hit his foot kj bounce onto his arm, his arm was up

this -his arm was up-argument is a falicy used to exonerate poor refereeing. If you are trying to block and stretch your centre of gravity changes so arm position changes to help keep your balance. It us a natural reaction to raise your arms when making certain challenges.

Not seen anything again and had had a fair few pints of Guinness but here's what I remember...

Went to the Barrowboy and Banker from 12ish, had a lovely pie, chips, cabbage and gravy. Met a Norweigian bloke who had no ticket and who sounded like Dietmar Hamann for some reason who was off to his first Derby game. No idea if he actually got in or not. Loads of loons in there jumping about, singing the usual songs. We opted to stand by the fruit machines and half watch the early kick off.

We got to the ground at around 2.30 and after weighing up how to get a lad in without a ticket, noticed the ticket office was still selling them. We almost made it as well, before opting to buy one for a tenner off a man with a spare. 

It was a pretty stale game with neither side having any shots let alone any chances before our defence decided to give them a goal. Grant howler and Forsyth somehow unable to clear it off the line.  Their first penalty was a joke. How can Keogh not get hit on the hand by the ball when he's sliding in and about 2 yards from the ball? 2-0 down without them offering anything going forward. It's the Derby County way.

Then Ince scores a lovely free kick. I remember saying "there's no way he'll score this" 2 seconds before he did just that. No thanks necessary. Tidy enough so far but 2 poor goals conceded and not overly threatening going forward at half time. 

Headed outside into the away compound for a mid afternoon snack of luke warm Carlsberg and searing chicken balti pie (no forks) in the South Bermondsey sunshine. Barbed wire glinting in the mid spring sun.

Head back upstairs as the players make their way back out. Their 2nd penalty looked even more innocuous than their 1st. I was over 100 yards away though so may be wrong. The game started to get a bit more open after that as we pressed to try and get back in the game and Dawkins had a good chance which he toe poked over the bar from 15 yards out. Ince looked our best outlet throughout and won the penalty after beating his man and getting barged in the back. Martin slotted the penalty away with minimal fuss.

Finally, after they had a couple of efforts from set pieces saved by Grant, our pressure began to tell and Hendrick pulled a certified worldie out of nowhere to grab us a deserved point. Ince also had time to curl one inches wide from the edge of the box before the Millwall mandem all ran on (and then off again) at the full time whistle.

Hilarity ensued as the Sports Direct models started giving it Charlie Big Potatoes from behind a wall of police to us in the upper tier. After watching that for 10 minutes we got bored and went to Browns, sank more beers and vodkas, went to a seedier strip club before I legged it back to St. Pancras in time to catch the last train North.

Got in late.

PistoldPete2

Despite the fuss on Radio Derby, I thought Keogh's was a clear penalty. I had it on slowmo but couldn't see it hit his foot - it looked to me as if the ball struck his arm directly, in one of those situations where you'd say it was a great save if the keeper had blocked it that way. Evenif it did hit his foot and bounce onto his arm, his arm was up above his head in a way it would inevitably block any shot aimed there. Ref had no choice. Top defenders never slide in like that with their arms up in the air, effectively spreading themselves.

Couldn't see properly what happened with Hendo and their second pen. I think the lino gave the one on Ince.

The rules are that it has to be deliberate handball. A player sliding on the ground is not making any deliberate attempt to handle the ball. It's not even a debatable penalty it just isn't a penalty at all. Didn't see the other pen incident but it looked another innocuous one, and nothing to change my opinion on the highlights either. Our peno also looked innocuous but some people say ince was shoved in the back. I only had a front view,. 

Basic defending stay on your feet at all times

Don't let the ball bounce

Don't play the ball back to the goalkeeper on a dodgy service

Don't wwe players in your own box

Time to play our best available and fittest players in their correct positions

Team for Reading and hopefully beyond

Grant

Christie

Albentosa

Keogh

Forsyth

Hanson

Hughes

Hendrick

Russell

Ince

Martin

​Laughable that you think that was a 'clear penalty'.

He's slid in from about 2 yards away. 

Do you really think Keogh has dived in, in a crucial situation like that, deliberately placing the position of his arms to increase the chances of him blocking it?

He's just slid in ffs, and the ball happened to have smashed his arm from point blank range. 

Archived