The Derby Way

unclej

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the pinnacle of "the Derby way" was that team passing goal last season away at Yeovil. The patience, the passing, the movement, "the gears" as Ramage puts it was all there and it was unbelievable. It was literally like watching Barcelona in that moment, it was beautiful. 

After the game it made global websites, we even made it to the front page of Reddit, such was the quality of the goal. 

That to me is the "Derby way"

Playing the ball on the floor and respecting the opposition and referee.

i sometimes wonder if the latter has cost us points sometimes, there was uproar when Chelsea surrounded the ref recently, and rightly so, but such is the appalling standard of refereeing you begin to wonder if this is the way to get them decisions in your favour.

i wonder if referees look at the teams prior to a match, and think Derby won't moan, blame me if I get something wrong so if I'm in doubt about something, I'll go against Derby.

i doubt very much that this is the case, but Friday's decision was so strange even other managers are referring to in their post match conference (pullis). 

I like the right way we are playing, I see grant was big enough to hold his hands up, shame the man in black didn't do the same.

Leeds Ram, you shouldn't be able to surround the ref and simply get your way. I feel immensely sorry for the carp modern referees have to put up with, I haven't been around long enough to see many other refereeing eras but I'm sure they can't be any worse than today. 

It gets said a lot, but rugby leads the way in respecting the decision of the match official. It helps that the refs have the benefit of a video replay in ultra slow-mo to make their decision, the fans and players can all hear exactly what the ref is saying. When the ref says "Captains, go and talk to your teams and tell them to stop being daft and get on with it", that's exactly what should happen, and the response should be nothing other than "Yes sir". 

I don't see why we can't have a video ref with a headset linked to the one on the pitch. People moan it'd slow the game down, but let's face it it's already been slowed down with pathetic play-acting and thuggish bullying of and surrounding of referees. If we'd had a video ref yesterday then West Brom would have had the right player sent off and no-one would have any complaints. 

Playing the ball on the floor and respecting the opposition and referee.

i sometimes wonder if the latter has cost us points sometimes, there was uproar when Chelsea surrounded the ref recently, and rightly so, but such is the appalling standard of refereeing you begin to wonder if this is the way to get them decisions in your favour.

i wonder if referees look at the teams prior to a match, and think Derby won't moan, blame me if I get something wrong so if I'm in doubt about something, I'll go against Derby.

i doubt very much that this is the case, but Friday's decision was so strange even other managers are referring to in their post match conference (pullis). 

I like the right way we are playing, I see grant was big enough to hold his hands up, shame the man in black didn't do the same.

​Pulis moans about the ref after every game, I'm sick of it. I'd rather we could just talk about the football and not have to get so hung up over refereeing decisions which more often than not are made because the poor bloke doesn't have 27 slow-mo HD TV cameras behind his eyeballs.

Leeds Ram, you shouldn't be able to surround the ref and simply get your way. I feel immensely sorry for the carp modern referees have to put up with, I haven't been around long enough to see many other refereeing eras but I'm sure they can't be any worse than today. 

It gets said a lot, but rugby leads the way in respecting the decision of the match official. It helps that the refs have the benefit of a video replay in ultra slow-mo to make their decision, the fans and players can all hear exactly what the ref is saying. When the ref says "Captains, go and talk to your teams and tell them to stop being daft and get on with it", that's exactly what should happen, and the response should be nothing other than "Yes sir". 

I don't see why we can't have a video ref with a headset linked to the one on the pitch. People moan it'd slow the game down, but let's face it it's already been slowed down with pathetic play-acting and thuggish bullying of and surrounding of referees. If we'd had a video ref yesterday then West Brom would have had the right player sent off and no-one would have any complaints. 

To me the pinnacle of "the Derby way" was that team passing goal last season away at Yeovil. The patience, the passing, the movement, "the gears" as Ramage puts it was all there and it was unbelievable. It was literally like watching Barcelona in that moment, it was beautiful. 

After the game it made global websites, we even made it to the front page of Reddit, such was the quality of the goal. 

Agree with you fella. 

On Friday I wouldn't have minded if he'd given Bent a yellow for diving.  I don't mind so much wrong decisions because you can't expect them to see everything every time. 

The problem was he reached an impossible decision. If it's a free kick to Derby it's a red card. Or its a goal. Or its a free kick to Wolves. Wolves could not have asked for a better outcome. Not at all. It became a reward for them. 

Usually though when it's moaning that this is or that wasn't a penalty and we should have had this blah blah... no, it's pathetic the way we attack referees. 

There's no excuse for the way they're spoken too either. None. They need to start flashing red cards for that. Soon shut players up 

I'd say the Derby way is demonstrated by:

1. Wembley last year
  2. The last 6 games
  3. Birmingham at home this year
  4. Forest at home this year
  5. Ipswich at home this year
  6. The coca-cola bottling factory

You see where I'm going.

The way we've been playing recently is the Derby way; using the ball, having our own tactics and game plan and expecting the opposition to respond rather than vice versa. Trying to win every game as well - I still don't think I've ever seen us obviously go for a point from kick off under the current management.

That's all been evident recently, even still. We've found several different ways to lose recently, but only in the Fulham game have we looked like a completely different team, and that was because we simply didn't turn up rather than planning to play that way.

The only positive thing about this run for me is that we are STILL trying to play the right way*. Remember that spectacular collapse we had under Nigel? The season we had Bueno. For about half a dozen games, we looked a side that could pass our way around anything or anyone. Then we hit a sticky patch and we completely ditched the 4-2-3-1 system and it all became about huffing and puffing. Not only did the results dry up, but we you couldn't see us turning the corner because we didn't look like creating or winning through anything other than luck. 

*actually no, there is another positive to this run. Martin's injury came just as the "come on Chrissy Martin, score some goals for Derby" chant was starting to take off. It doesn't even rhyme. Hopefully his absence has put an end to that nonsense.

​To me, the Derby way is, Wigan have not won at home now for 17 games, we'll go there and hey presto...you know the drill.

A striker having a barren spell, we come to town and, you've guessed it, end of barren spell. 

Admittedly, sometimes we buck the trend and form/quality does prevail but in my experience if somebody or some team has been having a lean spell, it's occasionally us that brings it to an end. :(

Archived