Raul Albentosa debut

Stedcfc

I'm surprised to see a thread hasn't already been started given the amount of people calling for him to start.

I think he made a fairly nervous start to the game but then grew into it and showed some really promising signs. He's obviously very strong in the air.

The worrying thing for me though was the lack of communication between him and Keogh (to be expected obviously). A few times they went up for the header, and looking back to the second goal you'll see them in a heap on the floor together watching as the ball is bundled in at the back post.

I've no doubt that given time he could potentially become our best defender, but we simply dont have that time. Can we really afford to play him and risk communication problems causing us goals.

I worry that his injuries up until now have lost us the opportunity to bed him in before the 'business end' of the season.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birmingham had their first shot on goal in the 93rd minute from the penalty spot. 

He did well. He defended well. He looked comfortable on the ball and was able to fit in nicely. 

He would have perhaps been better off with Bucko next to him, another argument for another day, but he certainly looked decent. 

I think he made a couple of mistakes, but nothing to worry about. 

Started nervously but got better the longer the game went on. 

After a first half where he looked to bring to ball down and square it to Keogh on every occasion, second half he looked good in the air and attacked the ball a lot more. 

I like the fact he is able to tussle for the ball and not wrap his arms around the opposition player like Mascarell does constantly giving away free kicks, and Bucko also does from corners, running the risk of giving away a penalty.

Next step is to make him more dominant in both penalty boxes.

mumblemumble

Really good debut, he won everything, even the balls that weren't his to win. I'd rather him climb over Keogh to win the ball than leave it to Keogh anyway.

He was strong, aggressive and he looked decent on the ball.

It'll be good to see how he copes with Jerome and Hooper on Saturday, two equally as strong strikers. I'd be tempted to play Buxton and Albentosa just for their sheer physicality and aggression.

His calmness on the ball was really nice, the blind panic on Keogh and Buxton's faces when they get closed down is scary. The fact he could make smart little touches enabled us to roll it out to the back and not worry he'll get closed down. When we gave the ball away and had Brum running at us his positioning was very intelligent, he moved central and made the attacker move further out wide. He is a definite step up in class, even down to simple things like turning defensive lumped balls around for us to attack rather than panic or give a striker a hug. Buxton either wins the header or wrestles/bounces randomly and causes havoc.

He's certainly got a physical presence that we've been lacking - on one occasion a Brum player obviously bottled going in for a challenge when he saw Albentosa heading his way and there was a lovely moment when one of their strikers went up for a header only to bounce off Raul and end up on the floor - keep him in...

I thought he was poor to average. Every pass bar one over 15 yards was poor, misjudged the ball a couple of times and the communication was shocking.

He was decent in the air and improved a little second half, but was up against a poor team and had very little difficult defending to do.  

Archived