Barker Given Permission To Feature For Sheffield United In Trial Games

Tombo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been cruel of Derby to not stand by Barker. He was injured playing for us. 

I don't think anyone expected it would take three years for him to recover though.

This is Derby doing the right thing and getting him game time when we have other players who are more in need of time on the pitch.

Fair play to them for sorting this out, especially with the possibility of using other clubs.

The current reserve/under 21 rules arent very helpful for  older players returning from injury.

the talk like "we paid his wages and medical bills while he was inured" isn't really relevant...he was injured at work....and i am sure you have all seen the adverts on TV for this...he would have been insured up to the hilt for anythign like this and the injury/wages etc would have been covered anyway.

Hope he does well and gets himself fit.....because after Saturdays awful defending (again) he might just see himself playing for the first team..!

the talk like "we paid his wages and medical bills while he was inured" isn't really relevant...he was injured at work....and i am sure you have all seen the adverts on TV for this...he would have been insured up to the hilt for anythign like this and the injury/wages etc would have been covered anyway.

Hope he does well and gets himself fit.....because after Saturdays awful defending (again) he might just see himself playing for the first team..!

here here, and its great for the team moral, if youve seen another player wounded in the line of duty, he int just f*cked off on the scrap heap. Good on DCFC, well done Barker, good luck Barker, Blades and Clough for the future. 

I hope he gets a contract somewhere.  We've stood by him, but his chances at Derby are always going to be limited, especially if we go up.

I don't think he can realistically expect a contract at Derby, nor can Derby really offer him one if they harbour ambitions to maintain Premiership football.  I think we should and appear to be using every contact to get him in somewhere - as he must want to play as much as he can at this point.

I hope he gets a deal somewhere and I'd love to see him get a swan song appearance, but if you took the romance out of it, you wouldn't even consider offering a contract to any 32 year old centre back from the championship who has been out for 3 years.

If it was a case of not being able to afford, say, Manga because we were keeping Barker, then it shows he's got to be surplus to requirements, unfortunately.

PistoldPete2

Writing was on the wall when barks didn't play for u21s last week. I thought he might go out on loan... This is next best thing to give him game time. 

​What sausages me off about people saying "we should have binned him off/not given him a new contract" is that he's almost certainly TURNED DOWN money to stay and give playing again another go... Derby will have had insurance to cover his wages but most players are insured for career ending injuries... The kind he got would have meant Derby would pay off his contract (wages insurance covering that) and he would have got a whacking great payout for forced retirement due to injury... 

The fact that he will probably have turned that down to try and work his way back to playing is amazing and well worth another contract as far as I'm concerned...

A fully fit barker replaces Bucko at least and Keogh as captain

maybe we want him fit enough to play a role next season.

​90% sure they still do... I know they did prior to the Euro's in 2012 as there was a lot of controversy about national sides NOT doing it... the English FA cover players on international duty but most other FA's (at the time) didn't and the clubs had to extend their insurance to cover those games...

It may well have changed since but it always used to be just an extension of PPI which all employers provide for their employees (except with higher premiums because of higher likelihood of not being able to perform your job)

​Just pub talk. He has recently bbrought a house and put £250,000+ deposit down and he had to prove income which the wage slip said £16,000. Like I said thoe pub talk from some one who dealth with it. Could be fictional who knows :)?

Archived