If we finished the season in the playoffs would that be seen as a failure

notts_ram

Norwich's rich vein of form - coupled with the Fulham result and recent injuries - has suddenly ramped up the pressure on us.

A result against Brighton is an absolute must (injuries or not), as I genuinely fear for us in the Norwich tie. 

Regarding the original question posed - I would be personally very disappointed with play-offs. Obviously there's every chance we could still win them, but it's a ton of stress I was hoping to avoid (especially after last season!). 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at what I believe could be the worst case scenario in terms of our results

Brighton L

Birmingham W

Norwich L

Middlesbrough L

Wolves D

Watford D

Wigan W

Brentford W

Blackpool W

Huddersfield D

Milwall W

Reading W

That gives us 86 points which  would probably put us in 3rd place I reckon - Pick up wins at Brighton and Huddersfield/Watford/Wolves and we all of a sudden are over 90 points and laughing all the way to the premier league. For me, it's definitely doable and looking at those results I have put which would leave us in 3rd, I believe it would be a failure.

Bitterly disappointed if we do not get automatic promotion.

We need George Thorne back in time for Norwich at least , then the next four games will seal out fate, so to speak.

There is no doubt in my mind that our best side is the best side in the league , and in a couple of games we should be able to field it , G/T back and Martin, and Russell , if so well will p*** it, IMHO

Not getting promoted would be a failure because we set out with the objective to get promotion and we've had and still got the position to achieve that. We didn't aim for the play offs. We aimed for top 2 but if we fall just short of that then it no major problem. A major upset for us would be to be stuck down here a little longer

However it seems after each of our 7 defeats that everyone has already accepted we aren't good enough so another season playing Blackburn will be easy to take. 

I'm confident we'll finish top 2. If we don't then I fancy us for the play offs. Then if we lose that I'll be depressed while tons of people jump for joy about how rubbish the players are and how they don't want to see them in a derby shirt again. Bring back Ben Davies.

Let's look at what I believe could be the worst case scenario in terms of our results

Brighton L

Birmingham W

Norwich L

Middlesbrough L

Wolves D

Watford D

Wigan W

Brentford W

Blackpool W

Huddersfield D

Milwall W

Reading W

That gives us 86 points which  would probably put us in 3rd place I reckon - Pick up wins at Brighton and Huddersfield/Watford/Wolves and we all of a sudden are over 90 points and laughing all the way to the premier league. For me, it's definitely doable and looking at those results I have put which would leave us in 3rd, I believe it would be a failure.

If we made the play-offs I would be very disappointed & I think we'd fail to go up.

It would be disastrous as Steve would most likely leave and probably some key players. Automatic promotion has never been more important for us, which explains the sort of reaction on here when we lose a game. All teams will think the same but it's painful to think about where we could be if we won the games we "should be winning"

PistoldPete2

Yes. We finished with 85 points last year ... Anything less than an improvement on that is a failure given that we've strngthened the squad since then.

Of course it would be a failure with the amount of opportunities and then we never take advantage. Also with the calibre of players we have brought in not to mention that there isn't stand out team in the league. If we do f up and fall into the play offs then I'm certain we won't go up and our best players will leave.

PistoldPete2

Of course it would be a failure with the amount of opportunities and then we never take advantage. Also with the calibre of players we have brought in not to mention that there isn't stand out team in the league. If we do f up and fall into the play offs then I'm certain we won't go up and our best players will leave.

Can't reply directly @dcfcrammyboy1 , so hope this works! 

I too believe Maclaren will go in the summer if we don't go up, in fact not convinced he'll stay even if we do, and maybe some players too.

However, I don't think Sam Rush et al will allow us to slide into mid table mediocrity, the way we're being run now seems far too professional to allow backsliding. 

It's often said we have 10 targets for each playing position, I'd be amazed if the same wasn't true of management positions also.

Not getting promoted would be a failure because we set out with the objective to get promotion and we've had and still got the position to achieve that. We didn't aim for the play offs. We aimed for top 2 but if we fall just short of that then it no major problem. A major upset for us would be to be stuck down here a little longer

However it seems after each of our 7 defeats that everyone has already accepted we aren't good enough so another season playing Blackburn will be easy to take. 

I'm confident we'll finish top 2. If we don't then I fancy us for the play offs. Then if we lose that I'll be depressed while tons of people jump for joy about how rubbish the players are and how they don't want to see them in a derby shirt again. Bring back Ben Davies.

If we don't go up then I don't think I anyone would really want McClaren, because it would mean he has achieved very little with us. Play-Off failures aren't exactly going to get pulses racing and see teams pay up the compensation and wages it would demand to land him. That's the black and white of it.

I also don't buy there would be a mass exodus of players, either. I'd guess Hughes would be gone but I don't know about anybody else. So, no, I wouldn't be too worried about the playing personnel leaving. 

All in all, it would be a huge failure for all involved not to be promoted. There is only Hughes that would worry me about leaving, but the rest haven't proven anywhere near enough to warrant out. 

Archived