Defensive midfield

Ovis aries

'I never want to see Mascarell in a Derby shirt again'. I'm actually boring myself now but I'll say it one more time, Derby fans are gash. It's embarrassing. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the sense that Omar may have 'checked out' a bit. His demise has happened once GT was readied to come back. Ever since then, he has been pretty bad, and when he's bad he's really bad. He knows his days are numbered, and that he's not the first choice anymore. When off, his tackling can be schoolboy & amateurish, his passes speculative, and today he dallied on the ball one time and almost got picked off but the ref called a foul, and his set piece stuff is abysmal too, everything falling short or going into the first defender. Their best attacks came with parker slicing him up, and let's be honest Parker is rubbish. I guess it's Eustace time again. 

No. Just no.

Bryson hasn't got he tactical awareness to play DM, he is forever taking himself out the game when further up the field when he goes charging at the opposition then doesn't actually make contact with the ball and play passes him by.

In the DM role he will live the back four even more exposed.

Yes Omar didn't have a good game but you have to realise he isn't a DM, he is a playmaker being forced into a role he doesn't play because his natural positioning is deeper than other playersplayers.

Its already more than either Leicester or Burnley lost during their promotions last season. However, Hull went up with 15 losses the year before and both Reading and Southampton in double figures the previous year, then it was back down to single figures again a few seasons running.

​the amount of times I saw people on twitter after the game saying "i never want to see ..... in a derby shirt again" would have literally left us with George Thorne, Will hughes and johnny Russell. They need to get a grip ffs, of all the terrible players we have had down the years, none of our current crop of players come close to some of that drivel. We are not Real Madrid, we are not going to win every game and neither are the teams around us as shown yesterday. Some fans need a reality check and stay onside with the players. They don't play badly on purpose......but if they do...... may god help us all.

You're right, no player plays badly on purpose but some players like Mascarell have consistently shown that they are not good enough for the role they are supposed to play. Before the game I was brimming with confidence until I heard that Thorne was out - I had no faith in Mascarell to step up to the plate and I wasn't disappointed. He was garbage as was Christie - the rest weren't far behind either - but I'm fed up of Omar not doing the right things and I don't get the blind faith SM has in him. I don't expect us to just turn up and win, but to have competed against a very average Fulham side would have been nice. 

I don't blame Mascarell. He's not suited to that position and we always look susceptible under pressure when he's in the team. 

The CDM position is massively important in our formation, it offers a shield to the defence, whilst giving the other two midfielders the confidence to support the forwards knowing the CDM is going to give them a solid base to play from.

The key skills for this role are positioning, reading the game and breaking up play. These are not really qualities Mascarell possesses at present.

With the lack of quality we have at CDM and the problems at RB then it's no surprise we lost. Mac now has to make some brave decisions. Does he modify the formation and bring Bryson in for Mascarell and play without a CDM. Or does he change formation totally given the striker injury problems we have.  

The first and easiest thing we can do is shore up the RB slot with Shotton in for Christie and either Bucko or Albentosa in at CB, (I thought Shotton did o.k yesterday given he played 3 different positions in a struggling team, he wasn't brilliant, but he was the pick of a poor bunch). This would give us a better back 4 defensively and means we can try and find a workable solution for the midfield, as this was where Fulham really hurt us yesterday. 

Mac's certainly got some thinking to do for Brighton. 

You're right, no player plays badly on purpose but some players like Mascarell have consistently shown that they are not good enough for the role they are supposed to play. Before the game I was brimming with confidence until I heard that Thorne was out - I had no faith in Mascarell to step up to the plate and I wasn't disappointed. He was garbage as was Christie - the rest weren't far behind either - but I'm fed up of Omar not doing the right things and I don't get the blind faith SM has in him. I don't expect us to just turn up and win, but to have competed against a very average Fulham side would have been nice. 

Yes I want a player to play badly to prove a point so much I spent a ******* fortune on train and match tickets to come and watch him do so personally yesterday.

This is a forum, and my views on Mascarell are my opinion. I'm sorry if they don't correspond with some of yours but I stand by them. 

6000 of us travelled yesterday and were let down by the entire team, but especially in my view by our weak links, Christie and Mascarell. They will continue to cost us points if they continue to get picked, simple as.

Did anyone see Zouma play DM today in place of Matic today?  Did well and he is a CB by trade.  To me you need a player with a solid build and controlled aggression to play there like these two guys.  Seems to be the prototype for the role.  Same with John Obi Mikel.

Unfortunately for us OM is not that guy to replace GT.  Maybe Raul could play the role?  Looked composed on the ball v. Chesterfield and would protect the back four.

Archived