Defensive midfield

Ovis aries

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I do actually agree, it's just that no amount of stats provided from the Fulham game can tell me that Mascarell had a good game in terms of protecting the back four, because he didn't - trying to prove otherwise by using stats to compare him to another player in a different role is pointless.

The only stat that stood out was winning the highest amount of aerial battles, that sounds ridiculous, utterly ridiculous, unless everybody else won 0 and he won 1! It calls into question the integrity of the stat.

If McClaren wasn't actually expecting him to provide protection then I'll be absolutely astounded, and I've already said that I find McClaren's comments that 'we learned nothing' from the Fulham game a bit disconcerting.

ps I thought Omar had a great January, I'm sure though someone could pull up statistics that disprove this somehow.

Totally  baffled by those stats, are you sure they are correct cos that's not what I saw. Don't think he completed a forward pass successfully all match and pretty much every challenge I saw him contest he lost. Cant see how anyone can seriously think he is strong enough physically for that role in away games. Anyway onwards and upwards just need to scrape a result tonight however we play.

Archived