Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

I didn't expect top class boxing from Fury but my word what an utter embarrassment. His opponent took a couple of heavy shots and thought nah not for me I'm bailing out. It was like two mates p*ssing about after a few too many in Jorrocks. 

People paying £50+ to watch that will be fuming, serves them right. All cheering for Fury when he walked out, jeered him off when he won. Shouldn't have paid more than £20 to watch somebody who hasn't fought in 3 years. Overweight, couldn't move, messing around to make up that he can't compete anymore. Freddie Flintoff's fight was better ?

I've not seen it. Don't care really. Warm up? More like a defrosting before the warm up by all accounts.

He' can get there. Still the right side of 30 isn't he?

Frank Warren looks a right mug after that opponent. If that's the sort of level we are starting from then Fury will be back to his best by the time Hughie Fury gives a good interview

Would he even use him for sparring?

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Anyone watch Josh Taylor v Viktor Postol? 

Great scrap!

I had 1 round each way until the knock down. Both great chins. Postol put in a great performance, didnt deserve a 6 to 7 round defeat. Its a big learning fight for Josh, and he came through ok. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

I had 1 round each way until the knock down. Both great chins. Postol put in a great performance, didnt deserve a 6 to 7 round defeat. Its a big learning fight for Josh, and he came through ok. 

I was going to ask anyone who watched it how they scored it because once yet again the judges seemed to be watching a different fight.

I had Postol ahead until the knockdown but I can see maybe Taylor being 2 ahead or 2 behind. Round 1 was Postol and 2 was Taylor. Then it was close for a few rounds but I can't see how 3 judges would score all those to Taylor. Then in 7 I think Postol was well on top. Taylor still hit the odd eye catching shot but the late/middle rounds were surely to Postol before Taylor came on strong at the end. There's definitely 4 rounds in there at least for Postol and 2 judges couldn't even see that?? One scored had Postol at 110 and another at 108!!!

Boxing really annoys me with this. Nobody would have scored it that wide except the people payed to score it. Terrible  

• 4 weeks later...

Wilder has played a blinder in all of this. He has made himself relevant going off Joshua’s name where before he was still deemed a nobody.

Wilder brings very little to the table. One belt and about 10% of the PPV buys, therefore he doesn’t deserve anywhere near half the split.

But for Wilder, he can still make a comfortable living without AJ. He’s picking up $3m for easy winnable fights in the US and he isn’t receiving any damage.

If he genuinely doesn’t believe he can beat AJ and the moment he loses to him he loses all leverage and those $3m easy paydays are over, then he’s smart to steer well clear.

What I don’t understand though is why certain belts are forcing AJ to fight mandatorys like Povetkin but Wilder hasn’t been forced to fight Dillian Whyte who has been no.1 in the WBC for ages now. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wilder has played a blinder in all of this. He has made himself relevant going off Joshua’s name where before he was still deemed a nobody.

Wilder brings very little to the table. One belt and about 10% of the PPV buys, therefore he doesn’t deserve anywhere near half the split.

But for Wilder, he can still make a comfortable living without AJ. He’s picking up $3m for easy winnable fights in the US and he isn’t receiving any damage.

If he genuinely doesn’t believe he can beat AJ and the moment he loses to him he loses all leverage and those $3m easy paydays are over, then he’s smart to steer well clear.

What I don’t understand though is why certain belts are forcing AJ to fight mandatorys like Povetkin but Wilder hasn’t been forced to fight Dillian Whyte who has been no.1 in the WBC for ages now. 

Whyte isnt #1, they put Breazeale as #1 and that is who Wilder will fight next. It's been signed for 2 months.

20 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Think Wilder will knock AJ out quite early on, don't like him, but he looks to dangerous for AJ , a sort of Clubber Lang to Rocky 'Dis Guy is a wreckin machine!' ?

I would laugh if Breazeale beats Wilder. He won't because he's got a pretty shocking defence. 

Usyk v Gassiev on Saturday. Usyk should get the win. He's beat Joe Joyce in the world series Amateurs without head guards. Decent power, gets out of range quick, clever shot selection. 

Then next week is Parker v Whyte with Takam v Chisora on the undercard. Reckon that's 2 away wins unless a dodgy points win for Whyte comes through. Still think he's overrated and just wants people to stand still while he does his 3 combo. Parker needs a performance badly. He's not landed a clean shot in about a year! 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of whyte’s tactics. Pushing Parker onto the ropes, headlocking, clashing of heads because he knows he isn’t as good technically as Parker so he’s resorting to dirty tactics. Parker too negative, he’s going to be kicking himself if he doesn’t win this as whyte was there for the taking.