Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Undercard was good after all that. Cacace vs Cordina was the pick of the bunch, great case of just who wants it that little bit more. Saw weakness in Opetaia that I've not previously witnessed, maybe not the unstoppable beast some have him down for.

15 hours ago, Alph said:

Hey @Comrade 86, have we upset some bookies? 

Kovalev, Sanchez and Cordina? 

I imagine they were all favourites? 

Missed it all mate.  Met pals for beers in the sun and one thing led to another. Cracking night to be fair, but now nursing the hangover from hell. Roast dinner the cure, then I'll catch the fights if I can find them 😂

3 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

I think usyk edged the fight. Fury seemed comfortable until the 7th and then didn't seem to have the recovery powers he once did.   All be it impressively staying up in the 9th

I think fury is a shadow of himself which is sad to see because the best fury beats usyk easily IMO

This one probably can't, he's had too many wars. 

The best Fury? What even is the best Fury?

It’s hard to gauge how good somebody actually is when they only fight once a year and largely against select opponents.

Between Wilder 3 and Usyk, three years have gone by and in that time Fury has only fought Dillian Whyte, Chisora and Ngannou. 

Fury has wasted his prime years holding out for big money and taking easy fights. 

Usyk meanwhile has taken on everybody. 

At 37, Usyk has nothing left to prove and sadly Fury’s antics will have robbed us of the fight we all want to see vs AJ.

What a fight. Usyk the clear winner for me and Tyson was lucky he was saved by the ring ropes.

No idea what the judge who gave the fight to Tyson has been drinking.

22 hours ago, Alph said:

Hey @Comrade 86, have we upset some bookies? 

Kovalev, Sanchez and Cordina? 

I imagine they were all favourites? 

Now watched some of the fights. Ref the bookies, no, it's winning favourites that give them migraines. Not wildly surprised myself, though I did expect Cordina to win and win well.

As for the main event, Usyk a comfortable winner for me. Didn't look to me like Fury fancied it too much, to be honest and I found his constant goofing a bit low rent tbh. You'd think he might then show a little respect after the fight, but no, he claims he was robbed instead. Man's an eejit. At least that'll be the last we hear from his moronic dad for a while. Silver linings.

13 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Now watched some of the fights. Ref the bookies, no, it's winning favourites that give them migraines. Not wildly surprised myself, though I did expect Cordina to win and win well.

As for the main event, Usyk a comfortable winner for me. Didn't look to me like Fury fancied it too much, to be honest and I found his constant goofing a bit low rent tbh. You'd think he might then show a little respect after the fight, but no, he claims he was robbed instead. Man's an eejit. At least that'll be the last we hear from his moronic dad for a while. Silver linings.

It was interesting the straight left that Fury took in, iirc, the 5th. I think it probably busted his nose but you saw him step back and think "hold up, I'm supposed to do that". From that moment he realised, I wouldn't say he didn't fancy it but he knew that Usyk could bang.

As an aside, interesting comments from Del Boy on the count. I don't think Fury was out out, he was buzzed but we've all seen him get up from them. Also it was late in the round so maybe a few seconds didn't matter that much. But the 'slow count' is a thing now, I've seen it in a few fights - refs give the count then ask them to put up their gloves, ask them if they are OK, look at them again, ask again. And all of a sudden a fighter has had 20 seconds to clear their head. We know why they do it but should a count be a count? Otherwise, what's the point. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/articles/cnll2q0y9lxo

33 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It was interesting the straight left that Fury took in, iirc, the 5th. I think it probably busted his nose but you saw him step back and think "hold up, I'm supposed to do that". From that moment he realised, I wouldn't say he didn't fancy it but he knew that Usyk could bang.

He just seemed to spend the whole fight on the back foot. Oddly, it made for a better match-up as there was no smothering going on until mid-fight. I fully agree that Fury was shocked by Usyk's power. I was too, indeed it struck me that both camps had somewhat emulated their opponents; Tyson trimmed to the max, seeking greater mobility and Usyk for the first time, seemed to carry the bulk of a big HW, even if he remains a deal shorter than some, perhaps having focussed on developing greater power a little more this time around? 

Irrespective, I thought Usyk wanted it more and was prepared to take what Fury had to offer in order to get inside and land some shots of his own. I find him a deeply impressive individual, not only for his god-like natural ability, but his fortitude and sheer bloody-mindedness too. I love too that he's a throwback to the days of gentlemen pugilists, never really feeling the need to get involved in the Fury clan's crass antics. Usyk seems to be class personified inside and outside of the ring and I think the game needs that kind of champ right now.

Loved that Usyk said afterwards he has been training for this fight since 2008 - that's the focus he has that others don't. You can't buy it and it has served him as well as his exceptional technical ability.

Taylor v Catterall anyone..

All the experts seem to be plumping for Catterall...most think he won the first and means to exact revenge.

I thought Taylor edged the first but its a flip of a coin and I think there's little actually on the line...other than honour,  revenge, legacy and the rest of their careers...so I'm expecting fireworks.

30 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

All the experts seem to be plumping for Catterall...most think he won the first and means to exact revenge.

I thought Taylor edged the first but its a flip of a coin and I think there's little actually on the line...other than honour,  revenge, legacy and the rest of their careers...so I'm expecting fireworks.

Depending on who you listen to, Taylor either looks in "great shape" or "drained and gaunt" at the weigh in. 

I think Taylor might be on the downward curve. 

I dread to think what Leeds looks like today with loads of Hibees out boozing in the sun. 

40 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Funny how people see fights so different, I thought the first was one of the biggest robberies I'd ever seen. Looking forward to tonight hope Catterall gets the win but can't see Taylor coming in as poor this time unless age is catching up with him.

48 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Really 🤣 The worst decision I have ever seen…..EVER!!!!!!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Really 🤣 The worst decision I have ever seen…..EVER!!!!!!

Not rewatched it, and I'm a boxing half-fan. I just recall thinking he appeared stronger /more aggressive and there was a ton of stuff going on that was contentious. Didn't think Taylor was clear winner,  just not the Dick Turpin everyone else did. Not his biggest fan as a person - bit like Froch, but respect his career.

Edited by Chester40

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I thought Taylor edged the first

Nah, caan't have that I'm afraid.

I know we all have our own opinions, but Catterall landed more punches than Taylor in 11 out of 12 rounds, with 120 of 525 (23%) total punches finding their mark, with Taylor's number an extremely modest 73 of 306 (24%) overall.

Catterall also landed more power punches than Taylor in all bar 3 of the 12 rounds AND more than doubled Taylor's jab output.

I've literally no idea how anyone could watch that fight and score it a Taylor win.

Sorry, but IMO you're way off the mark in your assessment.

14 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Nah, caan't have that I'm afraid.

I know we all have our own opinions, but Catterall landed more punches than Taylor in 11 out of 12 rounds, with 120 of 525 (23%) total punches finding their mark, with Taylor's number an extremely modest 73 of 306 (24%) overall.

Catterall also landed more power punches than Taylor in all bar 3 of the 12 rounds AND more than doubled Taylor's jab output.

I've literally no idea how anyone could watch that fight and score it a Taylor win.

Sorry, but IMO you're way off the mark in your assessment.

As I say... its just my recollection that I didn't think the decision was as heinous as everyone else. Obviously as you point out,  the facts suggest otherwise....

Thoughts on tonight?

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Thoughts on tonight?

I played Catterall as soon as the re-match was priced up and I'll stick with that, though I do expect it to be closer this time around. 

Great fight.

Catterall kept stinging him with the jab ....Taylor kept walking forward and getting smashed with the left.

Thought the gap was wider on the scorecards than it looked but the better man won tonight.