Campaign against Chelsea continues.

Howard Canitbé

"In the vast majority of challenges for the ball, no retrospective action is taken as the incident has been seen by the match officials. Retrospective action introduced as deterrent for ‘off the ball incidents’ [e.g. kicks, stamps etc.] committed out of sight of officials. Whole game in agreement that, in vast majority of cases, match officials are best-placed to deal with incidents to avoid re-refereeing. In line with this rationale, FA confirm no further action in relation to Ashley Barnes as incident was seen by the officials"

Statement released via the FA's Twitter page in relation to the Ashley Barnes incident on Twitter. For those who haven't seen the tackle and subsequent reaction leading to Matic getting sent off, here it is in all it's glory:

The lack of further action being taken has been interpreted by all except Chelsea fans on Twitter as fair. Chelsea fans meanwhile take this as further proof that the FA can't stand Chelsea (and who could blame them?). Using the hashtag #CampaignAgainstChelsea

Personally, I think Barnes went to kick the ball and Matic's leg, having missed the ball, simply ended up underneath the player's foot. Can't say I think there was any malice in it at all. Matic's reaction on the other hand, seems to suggest otherwise. 

There is no campaign against Chelsea, they simply need a reason to believe they are hard-done-by, since they're spoilt in pretty much every other sense of the word. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Barnes knew exactly what he was doing, do not need that amount of force just for a pass. Earlier in that match he went up for a header, deliberately sticking his foot/knee out to catch a player.

Yes, it does work for Chelsea in there us against the world approach but I think in this case there is genuine cause.

I'm sorry, if you watch that in real time he's just putting his foot down. Matic takes the ball, because they're both going for the ball his legs ends up under Barnes's. Barnes kicks the ball first to attempt to prevent Matic winning it, Matic then kicks it in a different direction but by that point Barnes's momentum is going to carry him through. 

Also, you can understand why Matic reacted in the way he did. To him it must have felt like it was on purpose, but you can't expect to react like that in a game of football and get away with it. 

Barnes has balance when he goes to make the pass, no need for his other foot to leave the ground. Really is not any reason for his kicking leg to go into Matic with such force. Effectively Barnes drops into the challenge when the ball is gone. Just plain dirty.

I honestly can't get my breath when teams do this. It's a cheap trick by the manager to create a siege mentality at the club. Fergie did it constantly at United and Mourinho does it at Chelsea. If anyone stopped to think for more than two seconds they'd realise that since both of those teams happen to be wildly successful either the people running the "conspiracy" against them are utterly inept or no such conspiracy exists.

It still infuriates me how infatuated our press and media remain with "the special one". Any other manager who behaved like a petulant babby, storming out of press conferences when confronted with certain subjects, would be pilloried.

All's I know is that if someone had gone in like that on me, I'd have got up and lamped the flicker. Repeatedly. Disgraceful challenge, and Matic's reaction was understandable. Deserved to be sent off also, but they should both have gone.

Don't buy into the conspiracy though - I don't think Chelsea have ever lost a game legitimately, if Mourinho's post-match moans are anything to go by....

Barnes has balance when he goes to make the pass, no need for his other foot to leave the ground. Really is not any reason for his kicking leg to go into Matic with such force. Effectively Barnes drops into the challenge when the ball is gone. Just plain dirty.

Chelsea fans are racist and obnoxious said with no irony, who exactly are the prejudiced ones again? Met loads of decent Chelsea fans over the years, a few idiots doesn't tar a whole club.

Let's not forget that this is the club that forced the retirement of referee Anders Fisk led by their delusional manager and followed by their obnoxious fans. 

Of course there's a conspiracy going on. How on earth can teams like Bradford score 4 goals against them - 4 cracking, beautiful, well-crafted, well-taken, deserved goals against against a team of billionaire's losers? About time the special one did a Fergie. If he doesn't talk to the press, we won't have to see his ugly gob on the TV and hear his whinging. Incidentally, did we teach Jon Stead to play like he did that day???

Yeah, he deserved a red IMO, but it's a <sausage> up from the ref, not a conspiracy and the reaction, however understandable, was a red.

As for retrospective action, did anyone really expect a different line from the FA.

sod Chelsea anyway. Don't like the club, never have, always had nasty fans and inflated sense of entitlement, pre money they were just as bad. 

Challenged for the ball. Was a un-aggressive tackle, not even a tackle. He goes in with the side of his foot. He plays the ball. He can't stop the follow through. Matic is late. He even as the contact is made tries to pull out hence why he falls over. The reason why it happened is because he stretched for it. Hence why his foot went over the top of the ball after. It is just one of those things. Was a yellow card though. Disagree with me, I don't care because I am right so nerrrrr. 

Archived