Should Millwall fans be treated differently?

uttoxram75

Ian Holloway has a go about Millwall fans treatment for their visit to Leeds....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31472596

Ian Holloway criticised West Yorkshire Police's continued ticket restrictions on Millwall supporters after his side's Championship defeat at Leeds.
The fans were forced to exchange vouchers for tickets at Woolley Edge services 15 miles from Elland Road.
"Can't they police a Saturday match? We should be shown the utmost respect like everybody else," said Holloway.
"If I thought they (our fans) were a risk I wouldn't be saying all this. I am proud of them."

Only 200 Millwall fans made the trip to West Yorkshire, who had to report to the service station on the M1 motorway, as they collected their match tickets on the way to the ground.
Holloway feels disrespected by the police force, with his side remaining in the relegation zone after a 1-0 loss.
"I don't understand. Are we so much worse? We are only treated like that by West Yorkshire Police. Why should they treat us any differently from everybody else?
"After all, the game has moved on and so has supporters' behaviour, so what is the issue?"

Is Holloway right? Should fans have to go through this just to attend a football match?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You reap what you sow.

Millwall fans have shown themselves to be incapable of behaving themselves time and time again so if that's how the responsible police force feel they can best control them then so be it.

If it was left to be they wouldn't be allowed to travel anywhere outside the M25 - odious bunch of cretins.

It is completely unfair for the 'normal' Millwall fans to have to go through this.

If hooligans are still getting tickets for matches then the club and police are not doing their jobs properly.

How would we feel if we had to do this all because some moron ran on the pitch and attacked a Forest player?

Why?

It is the minority of their fans that ruin it for the majority.

Unfortunately the minority they have is significant. They let themselves down over and over again. They can still go to away games, this way the pillaging is reduced.

Derby fans have been followed, scrutinised, filmed, given banning orders, refused entry to grounds, arrested for relatively minor offences over the last 10-15 years. We have our own Football Intelligence officer who knows the name of virtually every Derby lad who's ever thrown a punch at or near a Rams game -  yet the police can't do the same to Millwall?

Millwall fans should be scrutinised and policed the same as everyone else. Its just a cop out, its like "oh well, we'll just give up, allow the nutters to carry on going to Millwall, we'll just stop them going the odd away match".

But then the police take action and you're complaining about that. I'm not sure what your point is

Because the police are taking action against many people that just want to go and watch a football match.

I'm not complaining because it doesn't affect me, however, if the police wanted me to report somewhere to collect my tickets before a match then I would be complaining, as I'm sure you would.

And the police are not really taking proper action are they? If these fans are a danger to other members of the public then they should be arrested, not made to go to service a station. Do you really think people that are going to matches purely to cause trouble are going to report the service station? Its a bit like asking terrorists to hand in their bombs at the check in desks at airports...

Archived