Should Millwall fans be treated differently?

uttoxram75

Pathetic "attempt" by the police to be seen to be doing something about a problem that has pretty much dissapeared anyway.

Millwall are no better or worse than any club in this division, they have their share of Danny Dyer wannabee's but so do we, so do Forest etc etc and they are obivously getting a raw deal for something that happened years ago.

Still my favorite away trip in this division, and can't wait to go there this season......if we can send them down and clinch the championship on the same day it would be amazing!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't just Millwall fans though, is it?

The problem here lies with West Yorkshire Police. These are the idiots who two or three years ago enforced a similar policy for Hull City fans travelling to Huddersfield. Their solution? All away fans had to travel on the official club-organised transport from Hull, and match tickets would only be issued on the coaches.

This applied to everybody - even to the handful of Hull City fans who lived in Huddersfield - they were suddenly faced with a 150 mile round trip to see a game in the town in which they lived.

I'm all for the police,but when it comes to football,I think they see it as a chance,to aggravate things.

I'd even go as far as saying,rivalry exists between different police forces

At cardiff a few weeks back,my friends were directed to walk past at least 2,CCFC pubs ,which are known as trouble

There was absolutely no way for them,to take this route

Also a few yrs back,I know cardiff fans who travelled to Huddersfield via Manchester,were warned by Lancashire police,that the Yorkshire police were "waiting for them"

Fortunately,the head of ccfc supporters club,always carried a video camera with him,to record events as they happened,for the sake of both parties

His video was actually used in court,as ccfc fans were charged and beaten,by police on horseback

This was a totally unprovoked attack

It seems the Yorkshire force,always hit the headlines,Hillsboro included

I don't see how the Police can insist on this.

What right have they got to dictate ticketing arrangements?

Not that i'm bothered about millwall fans.

The police carefully risk assess each case and make a decision on what is the minimum they need to do (cost and resource) to ensure the game goes ahead safely with the minimum of disruption to all concerned.

Leeds V Millwall has potential, I think we can all recognise that. Police do nothing, something happens...an innocent suffers like we have seen many times in history and then what? Inquests..cover ups, arrests..grieving parents etc. I think you need to extend some understanding to Yorkshire police here, it's not like they aren't THE most qualified police force when it comes to knowing mistakes of the past.

Or...it's a big conspiracy...yawn.

Derby fans have been followed, scrutinised, filmed, given banning orders, refused entry to grounds, arrested for relatively minor offences over the last 10-15 years. We have our own Football Intelligence officer who knows the name of virtually every Derby lad who's ever thrown a punch at or near a Rams game - yet the police can't do the same to Millwall?

Millwall fans should be scrutinised and policed the same as everyone else. Its just a cop out, its like "oh well, we'll just give up, allow the nutters to carry on going to Millwall, we'll just stop them going the odd away match".

Exactly mate, spot on.

When they decide to play up I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little bit excited, at least they give the country a kick up the arse and get everyone talking. I get bored of this sanitised world we live in and footballs turned into some sort of slick clinical event. I'm glad a small group of lads on beer and marching powder can cause a little bit of panic for authorities, keeping then on their toes.

Won't change, Bermondsey will always have a new crop of 'we don't carers'

It's just a game, if they play it and get caught, they get nicked.

I don't see how the Police can insist on this.

What right have they got to dictate ticketing arrangements?

Not that i'm bothered about millwall fans.

It is a strange one, think they call them bubble matches and probably use a mix of agreement and breach of the peace to enforce it. Human rights groups hate it and question Article 13.

Still my FAVORITE away trip in this division, and can't wait to go there this season......if we can send them down and clinch the championship on the same day it would be amazing!

WOW you must be a right HARD CASE .

I`v`e only been to the old "Den"once it was a night match 1984 I think.

They knew what they were doing when they called it cold blow lane" walking down those alleys I expected Jack the Ripper to jump out and stab me.It was the first and only time I`ve seen a black skinhead.The most scariest experience at a football match .

Been to new den a few times missed the play off riot thank goodness but I still feel on edge walking back to the station.

I think it would be the bottom of my favorite lists.

Regarding the treatment of Millwall fans I think it`s very unfortunate for genuine fans but they have had this reputation for decades,even before the term football hooligan was used.

The den was closed in 1920,1934,1947,1959 and 1978 because of crowd trouble, more than any other ground 

The Den was a pretty scary place to go but the New Den isnt at all. its the easiest away trip ever straight from London Bridge, on the train and taken down the cage into the stadium, really easy and always a good pint or two at London Bridge with a decent bunch of lads normally.

Did you go to the play off semi at the new den? Scariest moment of my footbal life.

Tho I have no sympathy for millwall fans why should they go to a service station to Collect tickets? What about fans going by train? Or coming a different route? And who ate Leeds to complain about hooligan fans?

Bubble matches are an absolute disgrace. It treats all fans as criminals, is massively inconvenient and creates a situation whereby it's "us" the fans v "them" the police - even the most passive.

Of course Millwall have an element that go for the aggro, what club doesn't?

It's up to the police to ensure that the majority that go for the football can do so without fear of violence from fellow supporters but they also need to bear in mind that kettling people around and treating them like animals only serves to create a climate where people behave like animals.

As for Millwall away, been 4 or 5 times and never had any trouble really other than from police caging Derby fans up behind that walkway fence creating a crush the season before last.

Will be looking to celebrate promotion there this year.

Archived