Fantastic article on McClaren

North_Stand_Ram

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/derby-county/11392450/Steve-McClarens-long-road-back-to-relevance-is-indictment-of-Premier-Leagues-popularity-contest.html

Derby County manager should be a viable candidate for big jobs in top flight, but clubs are too scared to risk public backlash

It is more than seven years since Steve McClaren was sacked as England manager. Seven long years since that miserable, sodden night at Wembley Stadium when McClaren stood on the touchline with that umbrella and England crashed out of qualifying for Euro 2008.

And only now is he being seriously discussed as an attraction to Premier League clubs.

But it is an indictment of English football

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been wanting someone to write an article like this for a while now. We as supporters really do underestimate the power we have on decision making in football.

As mentioned by Jason Burt, it's a good job we have smart people at the helm, Notts on the other hand without the rival bias... complete polar opposites.

It's good to see that McClaren is getting some recognition for the fine work he is doing with the playing squad at Derby.  He really has been great for the club since his appointment, a genuine example of someone being the right fit for a club.  This article also highlights the great job that Sam Rush has done behind the scenes.  There were mixed reactions when he chose to appoint McClaren but that decision has proven to be a very composed and calculated reaction that has enabled the club to move onwards and upwards.  It feels like everything at Derby County is being run efficiently and effectively both on the playing side of things and behind the scenes. There are so many clubs being mismanaged by their Chairmen, who are happy to operate with a mix of "throw a bit of money at it" and knee jerk reaction policies, it's comforting to know that at this point in time Derby are not one of those clubs.  It's a great time to be a Derby fan!

McClaren is unquestionably a fine manager but in a lot of cases that on its own isn't enough. I guess it's the reason he failed with England and Forest.

The role of a football manager is an enigma - it's hard to predict. Yet, people believe they're the be all and end all behind their team being successful.

McClaren here has produced a reputation and has befome respected by the very people who labelled him little more than a joke just over two years ago. The irony is that if he was to go to Newcastle, Everton or QPR and fail then he would be no doubt be a joke again in the press.

It's not only McClaren, it's happened with a lot of different managers and coaches in the past - most notably David Moyes.

My advice to any football manager in a lucrative and stable job would be to just stick it out as long as possible. In another club, with different fans and players, it's all too easy to come unstuck regardless of your abilities as a coach.

Good article but no mention of his brilliance as a coach under Jim Smiths promotion to the Premier League Derby side or his amazing feats as a coach under Sir Alex Fergusons treble winning side.

Steve McClaren has done nothing more than I expected at Derby when he was appointed as Nigel Cloughs successor by Sam Rush .

PS Would be a massive loss if Steve left us as his job is only half done at Derby and Paul Simpson is not ready to take over yet IMO .

Steve must be enjoying this and now he is in a position to play hard to get.

Derby is the perfect place for him now, to get us up would be the next statement

and if he establishes the team in the PL in a safe position only the big 5 could tempt him to leave.

The England job can destroy managers.

Ramsay was banished.

Revie was ruined.

Eriksson and taylor never really recovered.

Capello is now damaged goods.

And it nearly broke bobby robson at one point.

Thats what happens.

Its inevitable that an England manager who 'fails' will take time to recover.

Its not really an indictment on Premier League chairmen that he was cast into wilderness for a while.

Schteve has rebuilt his reputation by doing a good job at Twente and Derby.

But he also blotted his copybook at Wolfsburg and Forest.

(Why was Wolfsburg the wrong club? Look where they are now).

The article fails to mention that schteve was well known at Derby.

We hardly had to do 'due diligence'. It wasn't as if he was unknown.

He has come home.

He is comfortable.

The set up suits him etc.

The real test will be whether he can establish Derby in the Premier League.

The measure of him will not be whether he gets offered jobs at Villa, Everton, or Newcastle.

The challenge now will be whether he can build a dynasty at Derby in the way Bobby Robson did at

Ipswich.

He doesn't need to move to prove himself.

He has the perfect opportunity and challenge right here.

McClaren is unquestionably a fine manager but in a lot of cases that on its own isn't enough. I guess it's the reason he failed with England and Forest.

The role of a football manager is an enigma - it's hard to predict. Yet, people believe they're the be all and end all behind their team being successful.

McClaren here has produced a reputation and has befome respected by the very people who labelled him little more than a joke just over two years ago. The irony is that if he was to go to Newcastle, Everton or QPR and fail then he would be no doubt be a joke again in the press.

It's not only McClaren, it's happened with a lot of different managers and coaches in the past - most notably David Moyes.

My advice to any football manager in a lucrative and stable job would be to just stick it out as long as possible. In another club, with different fans and players, it's all too easy to come unstuck regardless of your abilities as a coach.

This is exactly the point though, there's a lot to be said about sticking with a club for as long as possible. You build up capital with the board, the fans and the players. You get to run things your own way, and when things aren't going perfectly, you can still fall back on what you've built up. Think of Klopp at BVB at the moment. Pretty much any other manager in that position, no matter how talented, would not be there any longer. If he had been hired at the start of this season and was in that position, there would have been no hope of him still being there. Building up a history with a club is important.

The same goes for players as well. Too often it just seems that players move on for the sake of it, when ultimately it spells the demise of their careers. The problem is somewhat exaggerated in places like Australia, where it's a league kept artificially equal by a salary cap, where players move from one club to another for a pay day only to ruin their careers and potentially miss out on 5-6 years of a solid contract for one big 2-3 year payday which sees them moved on. I think that is also largely down to the "Europe or bust" culture that still poisons the sport here. What's worse with that though is the banning of transfer fees in the country (only between teams in the A-league) and the culture of "don't be a *****, let them go", leads to a greater issue of players leaving for nothing (including overseas) where there's nothing invested, nothing to be lost if they're just left to rot (happens to a lot of Australians in Europe who force they way to Europe, only to be used as cheap backup). You see it across the world though, good young players with limited experience go to a big club with the lights in their eyes, only to rot with the reserves and end up dropping down to another club later in their career, with the shine gone.

Even big fees for managers don't protect them though, Andre Villas-Boas was the most expensive manager of all time when he went to Chelsea, and we all know how that went. David Moyes was the anointed one by the legend of legends for Man United, but that didn't help him in the slightest. Even Stuart Pearce, who I don't think was even that bad considering the circumstances at Forest has since been moved on.

As I've said before, if McClaren did move on I wouldn't hold it against him, but I think it would be a terrible, terrible risk on his part. The Premier League is a vicious place, and even a top first season at the club isn't likely to save someone. Yet coming through, building the side with a club from the Championship, winning promotion and building a legacy in the Premier League is insulation for a coach.

Top class thread. Great posts. Time for me to say that I was ready to move Nigel on about three years before he went but I underestimated his signings. As for Steve, of whom I am a great fan, I was not sure that he would succeed. I am massively impressed with Steve and I remain convinced that he knows that he is at the right club and will need to keep Derby up in the Premiership to prove his point to the top six clubs, which is where he belongs.

The Board at Derby must be geniuses to have appointed Sam Rush and Chris Evans. Without those two Steve would have found it more difficult. Most people can succeed, but they need the right people with them. Steve has got them AND he knows it. Steve has got great owners, CEO, coaching staff, stadium, academy and fans. He can ENJOY Derby for as long as he likes because elsewhere will be more lucrative but is likely to be more cutthroat and pressurised. Enjoy your life, live longer, stay at Derby , We love you here Steve

Archived