Who's going to miss out on the bench?

SamUltraRam

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the moon about Ince. But can someone explain Lingard? I have always disliked having too many players. To me he seems like one player too many. I know we lost Ibe. Dawkins hasn't found his feet again yet and Russell is out for 6 weeks. But Ward is back, so too is Bennett. We also now have a proper back up striker which means we won't play every minute of football with two wide men. 

Yes we now have great depth and competition. But I have never liked squad rotation. SM does not rotate his squad as a tactic. So how exactly are we to accommodate all of these players. We haven't signed these players this window including Shotton permanently to not even make the bench on a match day. Shotton, Warnock, Raul, Ince, Bent and Lingard. That is 6 players. Plus the standard keeper on the bench and that makes up all of our subs. Thorne will be back too soon. So who exactly is being kicked out of our match day squad? 

Over the moon about Ince. But can someone explain Lingard? I have always disliked having too many players. To me he seems like one player too many. I know we lost Ibe. Dawkins hasn't found his feet again yet and Russell is out for 6 weeks. But Ward is back, so too is Bennett. We also now have a proper back up striker which means we won't play every minute of football with two wide men. 

Yes we now have great depth and competition. But I have never liked squad rotation. SM does not rotate his squad as a tactic. So how exactly are we to accommodate all of these players. We haven't signed these players this window including Shotton permanently to not even make the bench on a match day. Shotton, Warnock, Raul, Ince, Bent and Lingard. That is 6 players. Plus the standard keeper on the bench and that makes up all of our subs. Thorne will be back too soon. So who exactly is being kicked out of our match day squad?

I would Have little issue dropping Bryson, Bennett and Dawkins tbh. Brys has been appalling all season, Dawks has 2 good games, 4 average games and 3 awful games on repeat and Bennett just isn't ready yet, he's certainly not better than either Ince or Lingard who are both proven at this level.

This management TEAM knows precisely what they are doing and where they are going.

All will be revealed in due course.

Steve Mac keeps his cards close to his chest, runs a tight ship and is a very safe hand at the helm.

I was never one to mix metaphors, well, hardly ever!

Exciting times indeed!

Roos

Albentosa

Warnock/Shotton

Bryson

Ince

Lingard

Bent

Offers the most coverage in all positions. Very rarely will we need DCM cover and Warnock or Bryson both offer options if we have to lose a starting Thorne/Mascerell/Eustace.

Edit: oops forgot about Shotton. Probably Shotton over Warnock. Maybe.

I get the too big a squad worries.

A lot of what's happened has been because there's been a great character and spirit about the squad.

But for saying that, all the transfers have been good business  - Warnock and Raul adding to the defense and two wingers in for two wingers out, the striker option we all cried out for plus shotts we knew and a youngster it's not crazy crazy.

Be tough to even get on the bench you gotta be good at Derby.

Doesn't your first paragraph answer your own question slightly? Dawkins and Bennett are not top two material, and you could question whether Ward is. Russell is out for a while as well. I would consider starting both Ince and Lingaard on Saturday although I doubt he will.

It seems a heavy squad on paper I agree but ultimately it will split the weak from the chav.

I'm never going to have an issue with us bringing in extra players, especially when they're the quality of Lingard.

Haing extra options never hurts, especially with such a versatile player.

For Saturday, I'd imagine the bench would be Roos, Christie, Albentosa, Bryson, Lingaard, Dawkins and Bent.

Starting XI of Grant, Shotton, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Mascarell, Hughes, Hendrick, Ward, Ince and Martin.

Swap Dawkins with Ward and you have my team

For Saturday, I'd imagine the bench would be Roos, Christie, Albentosa, Bryson, Lingaard, Dawkins and Bent.

Starting XI of Grant, Shotton, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Mascarell, Hughes, Hendrick, Ward, Ince and Martin.

Realistically I think you're close. Swap Warnock for Dawkins. If Bucko not fit, bring in Albentosa and put Warnock on there.

Doesn't your first paragraph answer your own question slightly? Dawkins and Bennett are not top two material, and you could question whether Ward is. Russell is out for a while as well. I would consider starting both Ince and Lingaard on Saturday although I doubt he will.

It seems a heavy squad on paper I agree but ultimately it will split the weak from the chav.

Of course Ward is top two material. His record speaks for itself. Dawkins hasn't found his feet but will again in a couple of weeks. Bennett has come back from injury and no he isn't as good as Ward, Ince and Russell. But he doesn't need to be. 

Realistically I think you're close. Swap Warnock for Dawkins. If Bucko not fit, bring in Albentosa and put Warnock on there.

That's three defenders on the bench then - never going to happen.

Mac's favourite substitutions are the two wingers and one of the centre mids being replaced, usually around the 70 minute mark.

Archived