Reasons to be fearful 1,2,3

sage

Up there we totally outplayed them the 3-2 was flattering to them but I doubt we will be reaching that kind of level, hope the players prove me wrong.

Not so much frightened of Blackburn but without a few key personnel I think we are struggling to reach the standards of where we attain to be, Russell missing is going to be a big loss as he has been one of our most consistent players lately.

Ward looks short of games and Dawkins low on confidence. Teams are still running through the midfield to create chances too easily and some players don't seem to be at the top of their game like last season or even earlier this season in the odd case.

I like Russell but we have other players now to come in .

He was injured in early part of season anyway and we still did ok.

I think we are in danger of worrying about things that don't need to be worried about.

We will be ok.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, but they are still the same points.

1) we tried something different to see how players reacted. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Showed certain things and the Mac learnt a lot. We criticise as we have no alternative and we criticise when he tries something new.

2) the weakness for me seems his inability to drop Keogh and slot Albentosa in there. I thought he looked very good but needs to get used to his team mates. I'm not generally a huge Bucko fan but think he is the best option for the left side of defence.

3) Shotton should play at right back. Christie is badly out of form and scares me more on the ball than Keogh.

4) losing Johnny if he is out is a big blow. Best winger hands down.

But by and large, we can be JOINT TOP if we win Tuesday, so why all the complaining?

I agree with this in bold.

The problem is, after the Ipswich result, which was the best result of the  season, we have made loads of changes and played 3 awful halves of football. We have defended and passed in such a way that a good championship team could put 3 or 4 past us. At home.

I agree with this in bold.

The problem is, after the Ipswich result, which was the best result of the  season, we have made loads of changes and played 3 awful halves of football. We have defended and passed in such a way that a good championship team could put 3 or 4 past us. At home.

They could but just as much we could beat Blackburn by three or four. It's incredibly unpredictable. Five from six clean sheets shows form, it's when we all really analyse we discover problems.

My fear is Ward/Dawkins as wingers doesn't fill me with confidence, and I don't think it fills Mac with confidence which is why we may see a diamond on Tuesday. Omar doesn't offer the protection Eustace/Thorne can but it's another reason to play Albentosa in my book. Hendrick is a must for his size and power in the midfield.

If I had to though I would play our normal shape. I'm not a Dawkins fan at all but with no alternative he has to play. Still a long way to go and still have complete faith in Evans and co to bring someone in.

I followed the match on RamsPlayer today.

Mascarell was busy keeping the defence in order.

He was mentioned every time the Spirites launched an attack.

Steve experimented with three centre halfs before reverting to a more conventional defensive pattern.

I am happy to have a manager who did not wish to annihilate Chesterfield, but at the same time, made sure we didn't go the same way as minnows like Chelski and Mercenary City.

I don't think we've hit top gear yet but agree that several of the also-rans around us are working to their maximum potential and in danger of burn out or a blown gasket!

Ha - I have been out since 6 but I knew there would be some thread started saying how ***** we are.

I haven't read it. I don't really care. Won 5 of our last 6 games, and the 5 we won we didn't concede a goal. Disappointing to lose to the Gumps, but local derbys create odd results. Still in the cup with not too much standing in our way if the draw is kind. Happy me tonight. Going to sort the wife out now.

I don't think Mascarell did much of note to keep the defence in order, he passed the ball well in the first half (misplaced a few in the second) but lost most of the physical challenges, think I saw about 8 tackles / physical challenges he was involved in and he won 1 or possibly 2 at the most, teams cut through too easily without a proper ballwinner in midfield that's one of the main problems really. They had lots and lots of chances and could have scored 3 or 4 with more composure.

Buxton actually made one of the tackles that Mascarell got a lot of credit for on Radio Derby. Its the old story he's a good footballer but not the more physical type of holding midfielder that makes our team function so well.

I don't think Mascarell did much of note to keep the defence in order, he passed the ball well in the first half (misplaced a few in the second) but lost most of the physical challenges, think I saw about 8 tackles / physical challenges he was involved in and he won 1 or possibly 2 at the most, teams cut through too easily without a proper ballwinner in midfield that's one of the main problems really. They had lots and lots of chances and could have scored 3 or 4 with more composure.

Buxton actually made one of the tackles that Mascarell got a lot of credit for on Radio Derby. Its the old story he's a good footballer but not the more physical type of holding midfielder that makes our team function so well.

Were you pleased with Mascarells corner for Derbys 1st goal.

I don't think Mascarell did much of note to keep the defence in order, he passed the ball well in the first half (misplaced a few in the second) but lost most of the physical challenges, think I saw about 8 tackles / physical challenges he was involved in and he won 1 or possibly 2 at the most, teams cut through too easily without a proper ballwinner in midfield that's one of the main problems really. They had lots and lots of chances and could have scored 3 or 4 with more composure.

Nit picking I also saw Buxton do a shocking pass to Chesterfield which was retrieved by Mascarell .

Reading this thread it appears that Keogh couldn't handle 3 at the back but the less able Bucko could.

Wasn't there so basing my opinion on criticism of Keogh and there being none of Bucko

Bucko did ok but do you want McClaren to sell Keogh then !

PS Did you notice that poor Bucko pass that Mascarell saved the day with .

Thought Buxton did ok though he did his job.

Whiilst I thought Keogh struggled with the formation it also amplified how much more comfortable they all are as a four. I don't think any of the back 3/5 knew where they needed to be apart from Albentosa who was a pretty cool and calm customer. Buxton was exposed to alot more 1v1 situations than normal and looked like a clogger at times in the first half, no need to put him in that much space on his own. They all played/looked better when we reverted to the normal system.

Ha - I have been out since 6 but I knew there would be some thread started saying how ***** we are.

I haven't read it. I don't really care. Won 5 of our last 6 games, and the 5 we won we didn't concede a goal. Disappointing to lose to the Gumps, but local derbys create odd results. Still in the cup with not too much standing in our way if the draw is kind. Happy me tonight. Going to sort the wife out now.

I totally agree.Anyway,have a good night mate.

Bucko did ok but do you want McClaren to sell Keogh then !

PS Did you notice that poor Bucko pass that Mascarell saved the day with .

Thought Buxton did ok though he did his job.

Yep...

I think Mac was right to try and experiment a little but it didn't work and fair play he changed back to what we're best at instead of rigidly sticking to it like he can often do. Remember when Mac came in, 433 was his initial change and it just worked. 352 could also potentially work but the players just weren't used to it hence why they might have looked a bit out of sorts.

I would like to see Martin and Bent played together more if it can be accommodated as I think Bent is the type of player who could link up well with someone like Martin with his excellent control and intelligence.

Chesterfield were always going to be hungry and up for it and I think we were a bit lucky they didn't quite have their shooting boots laced up properly but in the end our class shone through and it was one of those hard fought victories where we had a bit of luck on our side.

Christie has always been a bit shaky defensively for me. I'd like to see Shotton get some more game time so putting him in at right back might be a good change to make. I'm not going to get into any Keogh debates but I think out of Keogh and Sir Jake, I'd like to see Albentosa pair up with the Buck. Shame Tosa had to come off to make way for 2 CBs as he looked solid but it was his first game after all. He looks promising.

Johnny Russell could be a blow depending on how long he's out for. We still have Calero to fall back on, if he's not loaned out to Burton of course.

Reasons to be hopeful 1,2,3

1. Thorne is back in a few weeks and he fits our system perfectly. If he has the same impact as he did last season then we should be good for a top 2 finish

2. 2 of our new signings looked really good today, Albentosa showed how dominant he can be in the air and Bent showed how dangerous he can be. He missed a few chances but I'm sure as his confidence and match fitness increases, he'll improve.

3. We're in the play offs (win our game in hand and we go 2nd) and this is whilst we've had a few players performing below their usual standards and quite a lot of injuries throughout the squad

If we can get everyone fit for the last few months and get the new signings settled, I reckon we'll start to get a good run going and hopefully we can challenge for the top 2

Like the positive thinking.

Thought we struggled a bit today .But Chesterfield were up for it in their cup final.

If we win Tuesday night we`ll go to Cardiff full of confidence.

Keogh will NOT be dropped. He is the captain, but if every move he makes is analysed then there are going to be bad moments. Don't include him your starting XI's if you don't want to, they just won't be right

Not sure being captain should exempt someone from being dropped, surely its about the performances and consistency. Not sure he has been that consistent overall with regards to the number of errors he's made, don't think its a case of over analysing as many of them have been glaring and cost goals, in between that he was played well of course also at times.

I agree I think Steve will play him with Raul but personally would go for the reliability of Buxton first up, looking at the Spaniard he maybe looks more of a defender than someone who will carry the ball out so in that respect it may be that Keogh will partner him to enable us to bring the ball out better.

Archived