Has there been a worse Championship?!?

deanoakaram4life

I don't think it's a terrible league at all. It is just incredibly competitive.

I would say the Premier League is a terrible league as it is predictable and the only thing that most sides play for is not to get relegated.

The Championship has some good sides in it that play attractive football. I don't go in for this 'hoofball' that some tend to say the league is. I'll leave that term for those that don't know what they are talking about.

No one side will walk away with it and it is not inconceivable that a side like Fulham or Forest could get promoted if they were to string together a run of results.

I think the Championship is great and it's all well and good wanting promotion to the Premier League but once Derby do get promoted, it is then we will realise just how very dull and boring football is when you have absolutely nothing to play for aside from getting the 38 points required to stay up.

I do believe I agree with you.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible league with no teams being consistant! Leeds only 15 points off the play offs says it all! The league really is up for grabs and it's up to us to start a big run starting with blackburn!!

Let's get behind the team and get the south stand rocking!!

You could equally argue it's been the best Championship season, with more quality teams all jostling for a place.

Terrible league with no teams being consistant! Leeds only 15 points off the play offs says it all! The league really is up for grabs and it's up to us to start a big run starting with blackburn!!

No teams being consistent? 

All the top five teams are on for 80+ points at the end of the season - something which hasn't happened since 1996/7.

It was only a couple of years ago that Cardiff City won the league, Hull City came second on 79 points and Crystal Palace won the playoffs. Now that was a **** league.

No teams being consistent?

All the top five teams are on for 80+ points at the end of the season - something which hasn't happened since 1996/7.

It was only a couple of years ago that Cardiff City won the league, Hull City came second on 79 points and Crystal Palace won the playoffs. Now that was a **** league.

Was that when Hull failed to beat all the teams that finished in the top 6?

Then survived the PL too

Was that when Hull failed to beat all the teams that finished in the top 6?

Then survived the PL too

I think so, a proper **** team that even a poor Derby team under NC beat them at their own gaff.

I'm amazed they're doing OK in the Premier League now. Got to hand it to Steve Bruce, can't stand his teams or their boring style of football but he's done a terrific job with a fairly limited team.

you could say "who in the Burnley squad would get in the Premier League?", and the answer is quite simply " all of them!", cos they ARE in the Premier League!

This is where your footballing ignorance excludes you! Football is about ONE team/unit (a collective), not ELEVEN parts (units).

As for the Championship, I would argue that it's possibly better than it's been. When squads like Wigan, Brighton and Reading, usually competing at the top end, are proving to have been found out, by better play, organisation and tactics, then the whole standard has risen.

The fact that Mick McCarthy and Eddie Howe are up there without a single star player in their side, Derby, Boro and Brentford similar, it shows that coaching and "TEAM" are vital.

The fact that Burnley went up the same way, and look favourites (over Leicester and QPR) to survive, tells you all you need to know.

I think the Championship is getting slightly better year-on-year, while the bottom half of the Prem is getting worse at a faster rate.

Remember when teams like Portsmouth were having to sign players like Sulley Muntari just to finish mid-table? Then you had Palace who finished 4th in the Championship and then finished comfortably mid-table in the Premier League with a Championship squad. The difference between them and the teams around them was their manager.

Any of the bottom ten teams bar Everton would struggle to get out of this league.

Im not sure whether you call it terrible or not.

Every season IS different.

For me this season has been the most conistant championship i remember.

Apart from freaky Leeds beating us and bournemouth Id generally say, the top clubs always show good form and the bottom ones look really bad. There has been less of the old addage that anyone can beat anyone in this league than there usually is.

you could say "who in the Burnley squad would get in the Premier League?", and the answer is quite simply " all of them!", cos they ARE in the Premier League!

This is where your footballing ignorance excludes you! Football is about ONE team/unit (a collective), not ELEVEN parts (units).

As for the Championship, I would argue that it's possibly better than it's been. When squads like Wigan, Brighton and Reading, usually competing at the top end, are proving to have been found out, by better play, organisation and tactics, then the whole standard has risen.

The fact that Mick McCarthy and Eddie Howe are up there without a single star player in their side, Derby, Boro and Brentford similar, it shows that coaching and "TEAM" are vital.

The fact that Burnley went up the same way, and look favourites (over Leicester and QPR) to survive, tells you all you need to know.

Stop speaking so much sense. This forum isn't the place for that.

This is the impact of the last 3 years of FFP being phased in.  It has leveled the playing field.  Brentford and Bournemouth are managing to compete effectively at the top.  The ex-Prem teams are no-longer dominating.

That really has nothing to do with it. Bournemouth are loaded.

This is the impact of the last 3 years of FFP being phased in.  It has leveled the playing field.  Brentford and Bournemouth are managing to compete effectively at the top.  The ex-Prem teams are no-longer dominating.

The ex prem teams can still spend a lot more as they are getting a lot more in TV money

The ex prem teams can still spend a lot more as they are getting a lot more in TV money

They also have to deal with their wage bill though.

It's one of those great things though. By definition, a relegated team wasn't good enough for the Premier League, and usually even unchanged will struggle to go up. But then they have to deal with (usually) losing their best players, finding replacements, all with this target on their backs and while still servicing that huge wage bill that they had from the Premier League.

Just because the players aren't good enough doesn't suddenly mean the load gets any lighter either (i.e. us in 08/09, though that was equally from our transfer policy at the time it seems). It's not surprising that despite the parachute, the extra tv money and such that they can struggle.

Archived