Barker

condor

Buxton, 100%. Keogh, yes. Shotton, it's fairly tight. Whitbread is never fit so I wasn't counting him.

From the little I've seen of Albentosa, he's far superior as well. 

I'm feeling generous, so he would be our fourth best CB.

I see, did you see barker play the full 90 minutes in the majority of his games from 2009 when he joined us, did you have your season ticket then ? I think he really stood out as a solid centre back, would be great to see him make a cameo appearance before the end of the season but I can't see him getting back in the team especially now we have Raul Albentosa, I just hope he is the defender that we are all hoping he is !

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see, did you see barker play the full 90 minutes in the majority of his games from 2009 when he joined us, did you have your season ticket then ? I think he really stood out as a solid centre back, would be great to see him make a cameo appearance before the end of the season but I can't see him getting back in the team especially now we have Raul Albentosa, I just hope he is the defender that we are all hoping he is !

Yes, I've had a ST from 2007/8. He was a stand out player in a poor team. I hope he can see some action but I doubt it'll be at a first team level.

What you're forgetting is the impact McClaren has had on our players from a coaching perspective.

Barker was our stand out player in a bang average side, but I reckon if he'd have been able to carry on, keep gaining experience and developing under McClaren then he'd be a force in the championship right now. It's often seen that defenders peak later than midfielders, as they become more wise and tactically astute. Such a shame for him.

You rated Barker above Shackell?

Abso sausage lutely. And Shackell comfortably over Buxton and Keogh. Barker was the standout centrehalf at the club over the last few years. Am crossing my fingers that Albentosa will be better. After what will be three years out of the game, at a late age, I don't see how Barker can get close to past form. How I would love to be proved wrong.

I always rated him. Stand out player in a crap team, yes. But that could also be seen as a stand out player that had no protection from the players infront of him, but still stood out as a quality player. 

If he comes back to his previous level, then he will be in with a shout for sure. That is a big if, and probably some kind of record. Records are broken every day though. 

So basically, it was like a training session circa 2011... when we were no good.

Just that Coutts was n't there then ....... and is unlikely IMHO to be there at the end of January ......

Wish Barker well, but training is a million miles away from playing. A good attainment nevertheless.

I for sure would not want to be a player going in hard on him for a ball .....I am wincing at thought of Barker taking a heavy tackle

Fantastic achievement and shouldn't downplay that... Even with sports injury surgery as advanced as it is now (comparatively) this could have been a career ending injury for a lesser player... A good example of why we all loved Barker when he played... full of determination, conviction and never gave up...

Saw he'd tweeted on Monday that he was hoping to get some U-21 game time in the next 3-4 weeks maybe so would love to see that... 

#Barksisback

The biggest thing for me on Barker is this.

IF and its a big IF he was fit enough, I cant see him getting into our side.

Keogh and Buxton, and you could argue Whitbread and Shotton also had a fair degree of being comfortable on the ball and being happy to build up play slowly by passing it amoung themselves, the full backs and Eustace.

They have now built this up through constant copaching under Mcclaren.

Barker was and old school centre half who really wasnt the best on the ball under Clough so the rest of the team would do the football playing. I cannot see under our current way of playing how Barker would fit. I dont care how physical he is, how good in the air he is, and how good is leadership skills are.

Time plays tricks on the mind. Fair play to him for getting to this stage but a pre-injury Barker wouldn't even be on the bench. He did well for us, but we've improved so much. I hope he can play for the U21's at some point.

Buxton and Keogh are not an improvement. What are you drinking? I want some. 

The biggest thing for me on Barker is this.

IF and its a big IF he was fit enough, I cant see him getting into our side.

Keogh and Buxton, and you could argue Whitbread and Shotton also had a fair degree of being comfortable on the ball and being happy to build up play slowly by passing it amoung themselves, the full backs and Eustace.

They have now built this up through constant copaching under Mcclaren.

Barker was and old school centre half who really wasnt the best on the ball under Clough so the rest of the team would do the football playing. I cannot see under our current way of playing how Barker would fit. I dont care how physical he is, how good in the air he is, and how good is leadership skills are.

I think this is exactly what we are lacking in our defence.

If he were , and its a big if, but if he were to get back to being fully fit,  he is a far, far  better player than Buxton , and would be first reserve behind Keogh and Albentosa         

FGS dont say that, we have enough Keogh better than Bucko, Bucko better than Keogh, both are great, both are ****, its not the defence its the midfield, its not the midfield its the defence, it's Grants fault, blah blah blah. We should never of let Darren Powell go in my opinion.

FGS dont say that, we have enough Keogh better than Bucko, Bucko better than Keogh, both are great, both are ****, its not the defence its the midfield, its not the midfield its the defence, it's Grants fault, blah blah blah. We should never of let Darren Powell go in my opinion.

You're not allowed an opinion  if I'm not :p

Buxton and Keogh are not an improvement. What are you drinking? I want some.

I can see why people might think that he's better than Keogh but Buxton? No way

We used to act like Forest fans. Rating our average players as far better than they were.

Archived