Barker

condor

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are the only person with this view. 

Not that it proves anything if I was, but I'm not. All from this thread

I wouldn't say he was much more than an average Championship centre half. He probably looked good because he had his best season when others around him were pretty awful. His pace was deserting him even prior to his injury.

I see him as a player who Derby have been very loyal too and one who has been a bit of a drain on our fairly limited wage structure.

I will be glad when his contract runs out and we can rid him of his ties to DCFC. Even when he's fully fit, I don't see a place for him in our squad, let alone our first eleven. 

Definitely the case. Maybe slightly exaggerating but he would certainly be third, maybe 4th choice now Albentosa is here.

Barker was and old school centre half who really wasnt the best on the ball under Clough so the rest of the team would do the football playing. I cannot see under our current way of playing how Barker would fit. I dont care how physical he is, how good in the air he is, and how good is leadership skills are.

The biggest thing for me on Barker is this.

IF and its a big IF he was fit enough, I cant see him getting into our side.

Keogh and Buxton, and you could argue Whitbread and Shotton also had a fair degree of being comfortable on the ball and being happy to build up play slowly by passing it amoung themselves, the full backs and Eustace.

They have now built this up through constant copaching under Mcclaren.

Barker was and old school centre half who really wasnt the best on the ball under Clough so the rest of the team would do the football playing. I cannot see under our current way of playing how Barker would fit. I dont care how physical he is, how good in the air he is, and how good is leadership skills are.

When will people realise, we DO NOT need pretty (on the ball) defenders. We need old school "get it away and to Will Hughes" defenders. If they CAN play a bit, great, but defending is a pre-requisite and 100x more important than ball skills.

The biggest thing for me on Barker is this.

IF and its a big IF he was fit enough, I cant see him getting into our side.

Keogh and Buxton, and you could argue Whitbread and Shotton also had a fair degree of being comfortable on the ball and being happy to build up play slowly by passing it amoung themselves, the full backs and Eustace.

They have now built this up through constant copaching under Mcclaren.

When Nigel was here you couldn't really get much more 'old school' than Jake Buxton. Under McClaren and Simmo, Jake has developed into a player who looks comfortable on the ball.

Now Barker was never a 'Ronaldo' but he was better on the ball than Buxton used to be. So presumably, if Buxton can get better from improved coaching, so can Barker.

Now, in reality, I still think that it is unlikely that Barker will ever play a significant role for DCFC (or any other Championship team) again - his injury was just too severe. However, if he can overcome that fully, I'd be really excited to see just how good he could be under this regime.

When Nigel was here you couldn't really get much more 'old school' than Jake Buxton. Under McClaren and Simmo, Jake has developed into a player who looks comfortable on the ball.

Now Barker was never a 'Ronaldo' but he was better on the ball than Buxton used to be. So presumably, if Buxton can get better from improved coaching, so can Barker.

Now, in reality, I still think that it is unlikely that Barker will ever play a significant role for DCFC (or any other Championship team) again - his injury was just too severe. However, if he can overcome that fully, I'd be really excited to see just how good he could be under this regime.

In fairness to Nigel Clough, there were massive improvements (to Buxton's game) under his management.

I'm with RLACML.

We've moved on. He wasn't better than Shackell. He was better than Buxton at the time and better than Anderson, Leacock and O'Brien.

He's was better in the air than anyone we have now (excluding Albentosa apparently)

If he comes back as good as he was he will struggle to get on the pitch. If he's worse than he'll struggle to get on the bench.

I love the guy and have constantly stuck up for him. I know how hard he's worked to get back and what he is and will be putting himself through later on after football.

But we've evolved and I doubt he's gotten better in the last couple of years. Buxton had improved with every challenge brought in. He'll probably raise his game again knowing him.

He's better now than Barker was imo.

I'm with RLACML.

We've moved on. He wasn't better than Shackell. He was better than Buxton at the time and better than Anderson, Leacock and O'Brien.

He's was better in the air than anyone we have now (excluding Albentosa apparently)

If he comes back as good as he was he will struggle to get on the pitch. If he's worse than he'll struggle to get on the bench.

I love the guy and have constantly stuck up for him. I know how hard he's worked to get back and what he is and will be putting himself through later on after football.

But we've evolved and I doubt he's gotten better in the last couple of years. Buxton had improved with every challenge brought in. He'll probably raise his game again knowing him.

He's better now than Barker was imo.

Is there anything we disagree about?

Read through most of the posts here and it is clear that opinion not only on Barker but the entire back 4 is split.

Barker is a heart and head issue - the heart wants him to make a comeback and his determination is incredible, the head says that 3 years on and after such a major injury that he won't quite be the same player again. Anyone who has had this type of injury knows just how much it changes your game, slower acceleration, action in kicking the ball etc.

If we are to play the ball out from the back then we require a certain type of defender, it remains to be seen if Mac continues with the same formation if we get promoted or if he goes more defensive and plays a second defensive midfielder. The question is whether we want an old fashioned out and out defender or require someone who can carry the ball forward, much as Keogh used to do.

Fozzy just isn't the player he was last season, not sure why but he always seems to have a better game when Ward starts, maybe Ward provides more defensive cover perhaps.

Christie has had a drop off in form over the last couple of months, he was outstanding at the beginning of the season.

Bucko has his heart on his sleeve but has reached his level, clearly he is not PL quality in my opinion.

Let's hope Shaun makes a return in some capacity, possibly as a cameo substitute, but playing a bigger part than this is unlikely.

Good luck the man. I have said that I don't think he will play again, I've always hoped I am wrong, but it's a huge injury and he's been out for so long. 

However he's got himself to training stage and that is a massive achievement for him, can he go to the next stage of returning to a match day squad? I hope he can but it's another big step which will take time. 

I just hope he isn't putting his long term health at risk. 

Archived