Mascarell , his future ..

Ram8

Not sure if it's even a possibility , but if he were to stay with us next season , Premier or Championship , given a fit George Thorne as first choice holding midfielder ( and Eustace as his understudy ) , would Mascarell get a look-in ? I think he could feature in one of two roles .. a) a second holding midfielder ( as Chelsea occasionally use both Mikel and Matic ) , which would not necessarily constitute a negative or defensive formation , as both Thorne and Mascarell are much more than 'destroyers' , both possessing the 'killer' long ball ability to complement the ( 2 out of the 3 ) Hughes / Hendrick / Bryson short passing game , or b) a creative midfielder to add competition to the other candidates ..

Whatever , I certainly think that if he could be secured on a regular basis he would be a wonderful asset ..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we go up, and we can buy at a reasonable price we should buy. Will be a better player in the Prem than in the Chump. If we are playing 433 or 442 in the Prem, I would be comfortable with Hendrick, Omar, Hughes and Thorne plus one new new addition, and options within like Koblenz. Eustace, Coutts and Bryson are now unlikely to be able to improve their game Beyond Chump level.

Mascarell is a holding midfielder......in Spain......... where teams don't press and its far less physical.

Here he gets bullied and harried into making mistakes.

The weakness with both mascarell and eustace is that they both tend to play too slow, too ponderous, too much square passing, too much interplay with the centre halves. Turn and support the midfield please chaps.

In fairness to Eustace he now seems to fanny about far less.

Whereas Mascarell seems to fanny about far more.

I don't think Real Madrid will be open to selling him - he's meant to have a future over there. 

Mascarell is a good player that was scapegoated a little bit because we needed someone to change. He has had some outstanding games. 

This is how I've rated him for the games he's started in:

Charlton (CUP) - 6

Reading (CUP) - 8

Blackpool - 9

Fulham - 7

Brentford - 5

Huddersfield - 8 

Wolves - 9 

Watford - 8

Leeds - 5

Brighton - 6

Middlesbrough - 5

Chelsea - 8

Norwich - 5

Southport - 7

It's a fairly good average overall, but the performances against Wolves, Blackpool and Watford stick in the mind as three of our best individual performances of the season. He's young, a touch inexperienced, but he's a very good player and on his day, he can be the difference. 

I think the Forest midfield set-up perfectly for Mascarell, I'd have wanted him to start against them anyway. 

If we go up, and we can buy at a reasonable price we should buy. Will be a better player in the Prem than in the Chump. If we are playing 433 or 442 in the Prem, I would be comfortable with Hendrick, Omar, Hughes and Thorne plus one new new addition, and options within like Koblenz. Eustace, Coutts and Bryson are now unlikely to be able to improve their game Beyond Chump level.

Noooooo chance. We need a bit of experience in the Prem, not a midfield full of kids

I'd expect Eustace to move on at the end of the season given the point in his career, especially if Derby went up, I think Coventry were interested in signing him at the start of this season.

Mascarell I don't think would be the answer as a central defensive midfielder in this country but might be effective in that role in Spain or on the continent where theres not so much argy bargy. He could perhaps play a different role over here, on balance would be slightly surprised if we signed him were we to go up even though he clearly has a fair bit of talent.

Said all along he wasn't the George Thorne type despite being a 'defensive midfielder'

I think he's a cracking player, but as has been mentioned he's struggled abit against the more physical sides.

I do think he has been scapegoated though. Everytime the team underperforms peopl have always looked at the DM posiiton as the port of call and area to change.

Our fulbacks or wingers could have an absolute shocker but DM will still be the first area to be placed into question.

Top player. I would love us to sign him permanently. He can back up Thorne while mainly challenging for the two centre midfield places.

I've seen quite a few mentioning it already and I too would love to see a Thorne-Hughes-Mascarell midfield. 

Noooooo chance. We need a bit of experience in the Prem, not a midfield full of kids

Not quite kids Cam, but I accept your point. The one new player I mentioned could bring the "Eustace experience" to the party, but let's not get carried away yet. Late November / mid-December games have not been forgotten by me yet, so I stick with my principle observation that Mascarell can progress, and become a more than effective Premier League performer. I hope we get the opportunity to buy him.

Archived