Watford - would you be happy?

Bris Vegas

Noticed Watford's XI against Forest last night didn't have a single British-born player in it.

Not to mention their foreign manager and owners.

Now I get that foreigners can perhaps bring a more technical game, better to watch etc. But would you be happy if we took a similar route, even if it won us promotion?

I love the technical side of the game and having foreigners etc. and perhaps in the Premier League it might be a bit more understandable, but I think it's disgraceful that a Championship side can have a full XI without single British-born player in it.

Why would you want to be in the Watford academy right now?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is just the way football has changed. .Athletic Bilbao has only ever had Spanish players as is their tradition,but football today is one where owners don't take into account things like that perhaps as much as they used to imo.

As a Watford fan I would be somewhat irked,but as long as we performed well on the pitch I wouldnt really care as long as we had some British players,even if they did not start.I suppose I would care more if I were a Watford fan if the owners were British.

I hope when we get to the prem we will have a few foreign stars joining our ranks, add some variety to our style of play (thinking of Eranio, Asanovic, Baiano and the like)

However, I am so proud that our starting XI nearly always contains all Brits, with a heavy inclusion of academy prospects. I like the inclusion of foreign talent into the U21's, balance is the key!

If it was gradual then I think you'd accept it.

But Watford are sort of some experimental toy. I just can't help feel that as they are they're unstable. No sort of foundations.

I don't mind Watford. Hope it doesn't end bad for them. Good club

It's great when you get foreign players come to a club and take it to heart [igor] but that's not always the case .The big problem with England is the number of foreign players restricting home grown talent ,although I do accept that foreign players have brought greater technical ability it's just that we have not seen the benefit at national level.

I like our squad because they are likeable professionals giving their all, and winning games for my club. There are also a few home developed guys too. If say 70/80% of our squad were foreign but likeable professionals giving their all, and winning games for my club, and a few were young lads home developed being given a chance to shine and progress, then I would be just as happy with that. I also hate Chelsea.

I like our squad because they are likeable professionals giving their all, and winning games for my club. There are also a few home developed guys too. If say 70/80% of our squad were foreign but likeable professionals giving their all, and winning games for my club, and a few were young lads home developed being given a chance to shine and progress, then I would be just as happy with that. I also hate Chelsea.

Good points mate.

Arsenals keeper tonight typifies everything wrong with English football, a 22 year old argentine, who last played for them 2 years ago.

What chance for local talent when clubs have foreign 3rd/4th choice goalkeepers?

Bilbao used to only sign Basque players AR

I wouldn't care at all. Whether we have a team of Will's or Omar's, as long as we are winning.

In fact, I wouldn't be happy but not because there are no British players. I'd be worried by how the team was constructed, seems a little mercenary

Bilbao used to only sign Basque players AR

I wouldn't care at all. Whether we have a team of Will's or Omar's, as long as we are winning.

In fact, I wouldn't be happy but not because there are no British players. I'd be worried by how the team was constructed, seems a little mercenary

Do Bilbao not do that anymore?

Archived