Paul Coutts

Jayweb95

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:huh:

When he was last fit he played down the right of our midfield but he can play in the centre as well. And no I don't think he'll make our starting 11, not really similar to our other wingers so doubt he'd fit in there and he's not as good as Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick to take their spot. Not sure if he'd work in holding midfield but I doubt McClaren would risk trying something brand new out 1/4 of the way into the season anyway.

Every time I saw him play with Brayford at right-back he looked very good. Whenever Brayford wasn't there he looked like a lost sheep. It'll be interesting to see how he fits into our side. I can really only see him as cover for Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson, but then again, Nigel never played with wide attackers or defensive midfielders so it just might be that he'll surprise us all and excel in one of those positions.

i think if he get s his fitness right he's going to be brilliant. he was a consistent 7 for us before, out of position, when we were abit rubbish and mid table. back up for now. but i expect to see him and russell pushing for a jock all up in 8 to 12 months. wishful and optimistic about ode couttsy. i'm BANKING on him being an important squad member. pun alert. soz 'ard

Think they may send him out on loan for 93 days.... Get some games in, wouldn't be surprised he ends up on loan somewhere like Rotherham, Huddersfield, Birmingham etc

He has a huge problem in that the position he's most suited to in our current formation is currently occupied by three of the best players at the club. It's galling to have to leave one of Hendrick, Bryson or Hughes out as it is, so I can't see Coutts getting game time there unless one of them suffers a long term injury.

He also has to overcome the considerable barrier of going 18 months without playing. I think it would be best to try and get him a loan move once he's been through a few games for our reserves so he can prove his fitness and match sharpness.

Holding midfield role is his best chance. He was hung-out to dry by Clough - can you imagine Hendrick in a wide position? He was a square peg in a round hole and people expected a lot from him. 

The 2 centre mid positions have three excellent options; the defensive midfield position not so much. 

He'll need to adapt his game, but it's his only hope.

I thought Coutts did really well out wide for us. I see no issue with playing him as a wide midfielder, but the attacking wingers we currently use are asked to perform very different duties to what Clough asked of the wide midfielders in his time here.

Does anyone know what position he actually played for his previous clubs?

I think he'll see most of his game time on the wing. He's technically a very sound player who can produce a good cross so would be a different option out wide

Yeah I think you could be right. All of our wimgers blow a bit hot and cold, so if he gets a chance and delivers an end product, he could get some games. Didn't he provide lots of assists during his best run in the team?

Might be  a window for me before thorne gets back otherwise tricky to see him getting game time

I mean him not me the entire male population would have to go get injured before I get any game time. 

Archived