The long lasting Nigel Clough debate.

Smyth_18

Every so often I still see people popping up to say how wrong it was to sack him. (Recent example being Nicholson.)

Here is my question. If he was sacked unfairly, can you honestly say he was appointed fairly?

My point being, he wouldn't have ever got the job if his surname wasn clough so pipe down and enjoy the excellence of our current head coach!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point being, he wouldn't have ever got the job if his surname wasn clough

No doubt the surname was a factor, but it's not like he was a complete nobody.  If we had appointed an ex-England international footballer with lots of experience playing at the highest levels, nobody would have really batted an eyelid.  But because we appointed an ex-England international with 10 years of fairly successful lower-league managerial experience and a track record of managing in the style we wanted (i.e. low budget, focussing developing academy and lower league players) it was suddenly a disastrous appointment.

I thought it was a wrong choice personally. We had a hard fixture start. Come Ipswich game and heard he changed the game around with a half time team talk inspired me with confidence in the future.

As they say the rest is history.

Overall right choice to get rid. Isn't it nice not to see strikers being taken off for defenders?

He was appointed at a time when the board were under pressure, the fans were shouting for Clough, and they duly obliged, was it because of his name? For me yes, because what other non league manager with no experience of managing full time players would have got the job.

Clough actually steadied the ship, and did a good job in the first few years, what I believe let him down was his ability to push on from there, and the continuous mid season finishes combined with another season where it look like that may continue was his downfall.

Some may argue that he would have emulated and possiblily exceeded SMs achievements, which is fair enough, but not for me, I think he had fallen into the trap where not losing had become more important than winning.

Hopefully he is a success at sheff united, even if he does I don't think it proves the decision to sack him correct or not.

Anyway should we now discuss if it was right to sack Jim smith ;-)

Clough rumoured to take over - I wasn't happy, 100% on his surname, can't argue that

Clough took over - I wasn't happy

Clough's first day in the job - Put my feelings to one side, give the guy a chance

Clough in the job - Season after season I was getting more unhappy with the results, thought we had players that could do much better

Clough sacked - Very happy, nothing against Nigel personally but it was best for Derby County

Tony Pulis linked - Hmmm, not sure

Steve McClaren linked - wtf, seriously?

McClaren took over - I wasn't happy at all

McClaren's Ipswich team talk - Wahey give the guy a chance!

McClaren game after game - I love this man, I want his babies

Today - Never been so positive about Derby since Jim Smith was in charge

The fact we're still talking about Clough now even when he supposedly achieved nothing says a lot.

Thing is though, since McClaren has come in we have been absolutely explosive, and that's as much to do with the fresh faces and whatever happened in the dressing room against Ipswich as it is to do with his coaching skills.

If someone can give me an example of a manager who after four years of solid if unspectacular finishes who then suddenly turned it round into the form we've had since we've left, I'd love to hear it. But I don't think it would have happened. It doesn't work like that.

Clough did very well indeed given the circumstances, but the job description changed.

Why is this in Rams Talk?

Shouldn't it be with the ones about Roy Keane and Watford's revolving door?

Why are you so bothered about people talking about Clough?

"This is where we discuss anything Derby County" - Rams Talk.

As Smyth_18 said, if you aren't interested, don't post.

Archived