The long lasting Nigel Clough debate.

Smyth_18

I'd say that if he had the driving ambition of the younger Brian then he'd have kept Shackell AND signed Keogh AND kept Brayford to have a real go for promotion. This lack of ambition was ultimately a factor in his demise.

Where's the money coming from though?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our owners have the means to support a real push if the manager makes something happen.

Like brian did.

Where was the money for Colin Todd coming from?

Our owners never invested in the club again after their initial splurge was wasted by Jewell. Clough just got year on year reductions to his budget. He always had to sell players or get wages off the books. Glick replaced by Rush was a step forward and the addition of Morris to the ownership group was another one.

Clough didn't do quite well enough to get any extra investment, McClaren has.

Our owners never invested in the club again after their initial splurge was wasted by Jewell. Clough just got year on year reductions to his budget. He always had to sell players or get wages off the books. Glick replaced by Rush was a step forward and the addition of Morris to the ownership group was another one.

Clough didn't do quite well enough to get any extra investment, McClaren has.

The accounts that I have seen go completely against that first sentence I'm afraid.

No, just pointing out that 'our owners never invested in the club again after their initial splurge...' is factually incorrect and at odds with information widely available in the public domain.

Of course the wage budget was going to go down because we had gone from the Premier League. I think more relevant would be the level of the budget against our opposition.

Following their initial splurge the focus was on downsizing. Incoming players (fees and wages) were funded by larger outgoings (fees and wages).

Regarding versus our opposition, a recent review of the accounts of the Championship clubs, which was probably based on the 2011/12 accounts due to the timing of their release, put Clough's budget somewhere between lower mid table and the relegation places if memory serves me correctly.

Yes, agree with top paragraph but that was not what you originally said, you said the owners stopped investing which is incorrect.

When we first got relegated we would have had a huge wage bill in comparison to others but yes, over time this was brought down quite drastically.

I would read absolutely nothing into these, surveys or reports on club wages because it is impossible to know players wages unless the club have divulged the information.

I lost faith in Clough during his second full season in charge when he retorted to survival hoofball in panick after a run of four unfortunate losses and his insistance on plying players out of position.

The fact he never dipped into the loan market for obvious positions didn't help either. Players such as Thorne, Ibe and Bamford would never have arrived under his stewardship.

That said there are some posiitves to his five years here. Wow, five years! 

He got rid of a lot of dead wood, he brought in some cracking players such as Martin, Grant, Bryson and Ward (at times). Also he changed the face of the club from one which was rotting in turmoil to one which ranged between posiitve and stagnated depending on the supporter perspective.

With hindsight it was 100% the right decision to sack him, but also with hindisght he could have gone a year or two before as I felt his last season in charge was a waste really. 

People say we improved but we went from 64 points to 61 points, winning less games over the season. I remember we had this debate before but for me that is not an improvement regardless of jumping up two or three places.

Finished 4th in his last full season and reached FA Cup semi final. Would have won both had Charlie been fit. We had a poor start to the following season and I think Mackay actually resigned due to the Derby boards rumoured attempt to get Brian Clough and Peter Taylor back.

Looking back I think you are right ,your memory is better than mind.

I think when the axe fell it was harsh.

There were times in the previous few years when an enforced change would have been much more easily justified.

By the time we played Forest we had all the pieces in place except for a right back.

He was brave in ditching his own big money signing for a free transfer centre forward.

He was closer than he had been for several years to finding a winning formula.

But his irascibility and insecurity was probably the root cause of his ultimate undoing.

Archived