Leon Best - Conor Sammon in a black wig?

FlaxholmeRam

Grow up. Try reading the post again and reacting sensibly.

You can't seem to accept that players didn't play well today, simple as. It happens. That doesn't mean they are being slated, or scapegoated or whatever inflammatory language you want to use. It just means they weren't very good today. And if you don't believe me, listen to the managers post match interview.

Then what is the point of the thread my friend?

What is more inflammatory ... comparing Best, a lad who has barely had a kick, to a player Derby fans would unify as classing a complete joke? Or sticking up for the lad when he is still waiting to be given a real chance in the team.

Grow up? Have a look at yourself mate.

I DO accept that we were not at our best today ... but after a draw, I am not going to cry myself to sleep about it and start digging the players out.

There are TWO teams on a  football pitch...something a lot of you fail to realise. No-one has a divine right to 3 points. Ask Manchester City. They huffed and puffed past a very well organised and determined Villa side today ... football is not played on paper mate.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Leon Best actually done anything since we signed him on loan? Woeful again today when he came on - at leadr Conor used to harang defenders!

Scored (officially) against Forest...

Whether it was his goal or not, the referee wouldn't have given a goal unless Best stuck it firmly in the back of the net.

That's good enough for me

I compared him with Sammon weeks ago, but was met with disdain.

Not seen anything to change my mind yet.

Won a key header against Bournemouth.

When did Sammon ever win a key header?

As some know i call him Beast, for me, thats all he offers, raw strength, power, but i cant see what people saw in him, i think if i were to be kind, i'd say our system doesn't suit him, i feel he needs to play for a side that breaks, rather than presses forwards, as he needs the ball played beyond the defence for him to run on to..

if i were to be unkind id say he seems to have no control, doesn't run the channels to make opportunities for himself, or the touch and vision to play in others,  and is a waste of a position on the bench. Shame he's here till the end of the season...

He is woefull.

And I'm sure mac feels it wasn't one of the best bits of business this summer.

Can we send him back. Or are we in for the whole season.

And we could of had bam ford again

He's just not with it on the pitch. No wonder Blackburn got rid. One of those lucky lucky footballers again

For those pining for the return of Sammon -

"I am absolutely baffled by the past couple of matches people saying how poor McGoldrick was and praising Sammon. McGoldrick doesn't need to run around as much as Sammon because his 2nd touch doesn't need to be a tackle every time. McGoldrick still works hard and still touches the ball more than Sammon and he also wins in the air unlike Sammon (but then again so did WIlliams and Tabb).

Running around a lot is not good enough if you simply cannot control a football or win it in the air.

I would like to see Sammon replaced by Bishop or Tabb and play Jonny more advanced"

Posted by Truce on TWTD forum today.

Further evidence of what we all know - Sammon is a poor footballer.

OK, Best might be as poor, but at least there is still some room for doubt.

I'd wager that Chris Evan's brief at present involves looking at available centre forwards though.

i think this is all a little unfair, he's not really had any proper match time to gel in this team, thats really important. and he's low on confidence and hasnt played much in a few years even. there is no possible way he is worse than sammon. its really hard to see how sammon is still regarded as a footballer, its embarrassing, i feel sorry for him in that respect. leon best is a totally different type of player, to him and martin. if we played 442 he'd probably have more joy, but we dont and we dont really need or play with a battering ram. but all this scapegoating (whitbreads had some, best has had some, dawkins got some) when we are 1 point of top in oct is fascinating. i really dont understand it. its not helpful and i'm sure the players would appreciate some better support. 0-0 at home, after 4 clean sheets and takes us to 10 unbeaten. what a shambles

When Steve McClaren looked at Leon Best as a possibility he did not see a similarity to Chris Martin, he saw a similarity to Connor Sammon. He assumed that Leon would be better than Connor, so he signed him and then he moved Connor out for the same period of time. We knew that Ipswich were interested in Connor so he looked for a replacement, like for like, with the possibility of moving Connor on permanently and removing his wages from the bill. We know Blackburn wanted Best to move on so they were happy to pay most of his wages because they did not deem him worth a squad number. Conclusion is that Best was brought in to replace Connor. Why did he not get another Martin? I think because he could not find one at a price he could afford. Generally speaking most Derby fans cannot think of a replacement for Martin either. If Martin gets injured long term, McClaren will go to the board and they will give him what he wants within reason. is Leon better than Connor, most people would have said 'yes'. Will Leon get better? No-one knows for sure. When we lost the Play Off final, it was for lack of a big man to upset their centre halves. Leon should be capable of that role. If his confidence is and has been low, what is a reasonable time frame to solve that. Realistically longer than he has had so far.

When Steve McClaren looked at Leon Best as a possibility he did not see a similarity to Chris Martin, he saw a similarity to Connor Sammon. He assumed that Leon would be better than Connor, so he signed him and then he moved Connor out for the same period of time. We knew that Ipswich were interested in Connor so he looked for a replacement, like for like, with the possibility of moving Connor on permanently and removing his wages from the bill. We know Blackburn wanted Best to move on so they were happy to pay most of his wages because they did not deem him worth a squad number. Conclusion is that Best was brought in to replace Connor. Why did he not get another Martin? I think because he could not find one at a price he could afford. Generally speaking most Derby fans cannot think of a replacement for Martin either. If Martin gets injured long term, McClaren will go to the board and they will give him what he wants within reason. is Leon better than Connor, most people would have said 'yes'. Will Leon get better? No-one knows for sure. When we lost the Play Off final, it was for lack of a big man to upset their centre halves. Leon should be capable of that role. If his confidence is and has been low, what is a reasonable time frame to solve that. Realistically longer than he has had so far.

I for one enjoy your long in-depth posts mate. :)

I for one, am amazed at your commitment to Derby County, americanram. My sister moved from England to Buffalo in USA and pretty much got frozen big time in winter so drove with her family to San Diego which looks a fantastic place to live and is  a deal less chilly.

I for one enjoy your commitment to Derby County americanram. My sister left England to go Buffalo near Niagara Falls. She pretty much got frozen out of that place and drove across country to live in San Diego, Calf. It looks a great place to live is a deal less chilly.

I for one had no clue what happened to my first attempt at that post but now there are two versions of it. Was it you that went to a bar, got interested in an attractive girl but was given the brush off because she did not believe your story about your job title. She went to Morrisisons Supermarket the next day and saw you filling the shelves with washing powder, challenged you about your job description about what she thought wrongly that you said you were a stunt pilot. You said 'no' I said that I was part of the Ariel Display Team. No, sorry that was either Connor Sammon or Leon Best wearing a black wig. Oops, I nearly went off topic there. .Only joking Connor and Leon and americanram.

Far be it for me to adjust my tv aerial while the red arrows are doing an aerial display overhead while my wife puts ariel washing powder in the washer. Someone at Morrisons has to display the ariel  washing powder. I wish that I had not typed that in.. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Best is as bad or worse than Sammon, but he's still ****.  He doesn't really add anything to the squad.  Ramage said after the Millwall game that he needs a few games under his belt, but the problem is that, barring injury or suspension to Martin, he just isn't going to get a significant amount of playing time apart from the standard 15 minute cameo.

When we signed him it put me in mind of Davies signing Eddie Lewis in the PL when we were desperate for a left winger; I struggle to believe that Best is the best (Bananas) option out there. I can't accept that we couldn't have picked up a player on loan from the French 1st or 2nd Division, or Germany, Belgium, Holland etc who would be better (and cheaper).  I mean, really? In the whole football world the only decent option for a player to improve the squad over Conor Sammon was Leon Best?

A rare mistake from McClaren and co.

Archived