Shotton or Whitbread???

ollycutts1982

Although Shotton played tues I would like to see Whitbread return on sat. The problem with Shotton on tues was that everytime the ball was played to him from Grant he had to go back inside into his natural foot or take a touch and play a dodgy ball to Fozzy with his left foot. With the left footed Whitbread he can keep the move flowing and get the ball out wide with much more ease. Considering the majority of our play starts from short balls to the CB's I think we need a left footer playin in there. Whitbread looks comfortable and Shotton just looks awkward in that position.

Discuss.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough one. Both haven't done too much wrong and it could be just whose face fits best.

Whitbread, arguably, has been the better performer in the past month and should get the nod.

Neither have had much game time in recent months so it's impressive that they can come in and do a good job.

I don't mind either, but I have to say Shotton seems to offer us more physical presence in both boxes, which is something we lack in the team and possibly one reason Mac put him in against the Gumps. 

But did Whitbread not have a decent game last sat? I believe Shotton was brought in on tues to counter the threat. I think calling him one of the best strikers in the league is slightly flattering. Martin genuinely is one of the best strikers in the league and the gulf is massive. Milwall you would of thought wouldn't pose too much attacking threat. I like Shotton just not at left CB.

Shotton....

Like someone said, nice to have strength in depth.

Bucko will have to fight hard for his place. Carry on the way we are he will be a bench player for the foreseeable future.

Although Shotton played tues I would like to see Whitbread return on sat. The problem with Shotton on tues was that everytime the ball was played to him from Grant he had to go back inside into his natural foot or take a touch and play a dodgy ball to Fozzy with his left foot. With the left footed Whitbread he can keep the move flowing and get the ball out wide with much more ease. Considering the majority of our play starts from short balls to the CB's I think we need a left footer playin in there. Whitbread looks comfortable and Shotton just looks awkward in that position.

Discuss.

Good observation, Olly, but start Shotton! For 2 reasons. 1 he was rock soild last game in every aspect (dont want to change a good thing), and 2 ... and it will bug american ram cuz he's already wearing his Whitbread jersey. ;P

Shotton and Keogh looked very shaky on Tuesday for the first 10 minutes - but once they had sorted out who was going for what, the defence looked absolutely watertight for the rest of the match.

Then again, Whitbread and Keogh were imperious at Bolton.

Anyone got a coin?

Tough call for Mac, but in the end I would go with Shots just because of how good the form the team has been in with him in the lineup and how he controlled Wilson.  As others have said, it is quite a good feeling and a luxury to have the depth so such as discussions like these can be had.

Archived