Martin

AmericanRam

Last season, when Martin was out of form or missing from the team ie. Millwall, we lost.

This season, Martin has been out of form and yet, we've still been picking up points. This shows that we've adapted our play so we're not as reliant on Martin. This is a huge advantage because when Martin hits peak form, it is an added bonus to our already brilliant football. This combined with Thorne's return which will add an extra dimension to our midfield just confirms we have one of the best squads in the league when a player as pivotal as Martin last year, has become a (somewhat) luxury player.

I don't think that Martin has been out of form. I would say that most of the criticism that he has had has been from people who don't really appreciate what he does. He's still been holding the ball up well, mixing it with defenders and taking up dangerous positions in the box. I'd say the difference is that Bryson has been out of form, so Martin has been less effective.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that Martin has been out of form. I would say that most of the criticism that he has had has been from people who don't really appreciate what he does. He's still been holding the ball up well, mixing it with defenders and taking up dangerous positions in the box. I'd say the difference is that Bryson has been out of form, so Martin has been less effective.

That's possibly right but he's definitely not pivotal to our play like he was last season./

That means that the rest of the team have had to step up though and we've still been getting points with Martin being anonymous for whole games at a time.

Brendon Rogers is finding life very difficult without Suarez. Steve McClaren would struggle big time without Martin but all of us are a loss to find a similar player as a replacement who seems to get more skilful as each game progresses. Feeling at home is getting the best out of him. George Thorne said the same about feeling at home. Ibe is quoted as saying Derby play similar to Liverpool. This explains in part why Ibe came here.

The guy is absolutely vital. The life blood of our side. He's been out of form has he? Oh ... thanks for letting me know.

Six goals already, pivotal to our play, hasn't been 'anonymous' at all ... that is a ludicrous assertion.

I don't get what this thread is all about ... how can he be getting dug out after two classy finishes?

The way I see it, we have a good chance of getting promoted with Martin in our team. We won't go up without him because he's too important to the team. So there isn't really a price even at EIGHT figures I would sell him for.

Like most of our players, he's worth over

I started this thread to plaud Martin and his efforts against Bolton and his value this season overall as well.He has looked very solid overall with six goals and his passion for the game,he is vitally important to our promotion chances.

Some may still think he is not as valuable as I and others think;that is fine it is an open forum after all.I just don't agree.

How he wasn't voted player of the season last year is beyond me. Martin IS our style of play. Without him in the side, we look toothless playing the brand of football we do (see Millwall at home last season).

With regards to the penalty, I actually didn't think it was a bad one either. Only criticism is he's a little bit predictable from the spot. Must admit though, as soon as it was saved I fancied him to score later in the game. Some players go missing when they think they've let the team down, others respond by making amends.

Doesn't seem to me to be going down as easily either.

Okay, let's set the record straight, because there's much delusion here. 

This is what Steve Mac just said in the DET (that americanram says is so amazingly positive about Martin):

Got to agree with Ninos on this one. Scoring goals is good but the fact that he is letting other people create them is ridiculous, you would never have any other strikers doing that.

I want to see Martin getting the ball from Grant and taking on a whole team and scoring before I class him as good, you know a bit like you can do on FIFA.

Also the fact that Mac used the word lucky in a sentence and Ninos highlighted it proves that Mac also thinks Martin is rubbish. At no point in time was he trying to spread the praise around the players and prove it was a team game, it was clearly just highlighting how bad Martin is.

Got to agree with Ninos on this one. Scoring goals is good but the fact that he is letting other people create them is ridiculous, you would never have any other strikers doing that.I want to see Martin getting the ball from Grant and taking on a whole team and scoring before I class him as good, you know a bit like you can do on FIFA.Also the fact that Mac used the word lucky in a sentence and Ninos highlighted it proves that Mac also thinks Martin is rubbish. At no point in time was he trying to spread the praise around the players and prove it was a team game, it was clearly just highlighting how bad Martin is.

I would take it a stage further. It's obvious that McClaren hasn't got a clue - anyone can see that Martin is rubbish, so I would advocate replacing him with someone else who has. Furthermore, Martin ought to be dropped immediately and transfer-listed. Perhaps Ninos fancies a job as player manager?

Archived