Mark O'Brien

Day

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent off tonight for Motherwell. Naughty boy.

I really hope he does well there. Actually I hope he will come back to us as a better player. I haven't seen him a whole lot but from what I have seen I still believe he can be a decent player for us some day.

DERBY County defender Mark O'Brien was controversially sent off during a Scottish League Cup tie on Wednesday night.

O'Brien was red-carded playing for loan club Motherwell against Hamilton.

The Irishman was booked during the half-time interval, for a challenge at the end of the first period which had initially gone unpunished by referee Craig Charleston.

O'Brien then picked up a disputed second yellow card in extra-time.

The tie ended goalless but it was Hamilton who eventually went through 6-5 on penalties.

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall was left baffled by the decision to dismiss O'Brien.

"I've never seen that in my entire life," said McCall. "O'Brien makes a tackle and the referee blows for half-time.

"We all came off the park and go in the dressing room, and the fourth official comes and says he wants to have a word with Mark O'Brien, after being harangued coming off the park. Then he calls him in and books him.

"Why didn't he book him on the park?

"I thought 'here we go', this is going to be typical - and the second yellow, he body-strengths him off the ball.

"The second yellow card is an absolute joke. It's barely a foul and if that's a yellow card, I'm Dutch.

"That decision swung the balance of the game."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-defender-centre-red-card-controversy/story-22980175-detail/story.html#ixzz3EKBy6frO 

DERBY County defender Mark O'Brien was controversially sent off during a Scottish League Cup tie on Wednesday night.

O'Brien was red-carded playing for loan club Motherwell against Hamilton.

The Irishman was booked during the half-time interval, for a challenge at the end of the first period which had initially gone unpunished by referee Craig Charleston.

O'Brien then picked up a disputed second yellow card in extra-time.

The tie ended goalless but it was Hamilton who eventually went through 6-5 on penalties.

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall was left baffled by the decision to dismiss O'Brien.

"I've never seen that in my entire life," said McCall. "O'Brien makes a tackle and the referee blows for half-time.

"We all came off the park and go in the dressing room, and the fourth official comes and says he wants to have a word with Mark O'Brien, after being harangued coming off the park. Then he calls him in and books him.

"Why didn't he book him on the park?

"I thought 'here we go', this is going to be typical - and the second yellow, he body-strengths him off the ball.

"The second yellow card is an absolute joke. It's barely a foul and if that's a yellow card, I'm Dutch.

"That decision swung the balance of the game."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-defender-centre-red-card-controversy/story-22980175-detail/story.html#ixzz3EKBy6frO 

Having watched numerous Scottish games on BBC Alba over the past few years my view on the referee [Craig Charleston] is that he a total wazzock and much worse than anyone we have had to put up with at the Fizzy Pop Stadium, goodness knows who the 4th Official was and why did he book Mark, I would have thought that it was Charleston's job to flash the cards, totally bewildering!!

:o

O'Brien as a youngster was miles ahead of Bucko in the pecking order before his latest batch of industries. Some will say that Bucko's improved no end, but how much more can a young O'Brien improve under the current coaching setup? He's a lad who defends with his life, incredibly brave, going all out to block the shot or make that tackle when needed. Anything not to concede a goal.

I don't know anything about him personally, but after the health problems he had I suspect he's likely to have a great attitude too, realizing how fortunate he is to be playing football.

I cannot fathom why some are so negative about him and really hope he can prove his fitness properly in Scotland, before having another go with us.

Archived