The Popside

uttoxram75

Some bloke dropped his guts right in front of me on the concourse last week, before scuttling off to the toilets to check himself .I never get over the thought that what is now in my nose and mouth was in his @rse only two seconds previous..........and is still warm.

Was that a film review for 'The Human Centipede'?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's wrong but I miss those days .The tribal nature of football, the intimidating atmosphere of the BBG ,yes even the punch ups .

Two wrong words about Derby would earn a slap then,now days we and other clubs welcome fans ,Brighton a good example last season ,we walk together to the grounds etc. But its not as exciting ,maybe its old age.

Cant say I miss it KK - there were some very scary times in the early 80s, and I was too slight to be a fighter (or at least to come out on top in any fight). I have flashbacks still on incidents at a couple of games, and one at Elm Park in particular (83 I think) when I was in the away section but I really had no idea who was friend or foe. I agree it is not so "exciting" nowadays, but I think I would always prefer going to a game where I had a better than 50% chance of going home afterwards.

I know it's wrong but I miss those days .The tribal nature of football, the intimidating atmosphere of the BBG ,yes even the punch ups .

Two wrong words about Derby would earn a slap then,now days we and other clubs welcome fans ,Brighton a good example last season ,we walk together to the grounds etc. But its not as exciting ,maybe its old age.

I came with some Chelsea mates once when we played them. I left them at the Ossie end and made my way round to the Popside. Pay at the turnstyle as normal and open my gob.. Hundreds look round at the token Cockney.. Ffs I'm in deep do do here and on my jack.

Soon isolated and thought I'm gonna get a kicking off my own fans.

Big fella racks up just as I am gonna get pasted and says, leave him alone he's Derby.. Could have kissed him tbf, nearly did.

Loved the buzz of it all....

Fantastic memories of those late 60s early 70s matches. Mid Winter games walking op Shaftsbury cresent, just going over the crest by the Grange and seeing a sea of people. All windows boarded up, floodlights still perched on the Ossie and Normnton roofs.

Got three games in before the Ley Stand was built after promotion season, was at the Capacity record game against Totenham 5-0 the 4-0 over Liverpool a few weeks later. What days. 

As for the sheer menacing feeling around the place, it was a different world to now, and being picked up of your feet, particularly at the end of the games when 6000 people all headed to the exit at the same time. That Columbo exit down the steps was a death trap really, the you cam out turned left as the Ossie was emptying it was mayhem for any away supporters leaving that way.

Just wished I'd taken photos myself.

Cant say I miss it KK - there were some very scary times in the early 80s, and I was too slight to be a fighter (or at least to come out on top in any fight). I have flashbacks still on incidents at a couple of games, and one at Elm Park in particular (83 I think) when I was in the away section but I really had no idea who was friend or foe. I agree it is not so "exciting" nowadays, but I think I would always prefer going to a game where I had a better than 50% chance of going home afterwards.

You are right mate .I was a bit more ,shall we say volatile .I think the internet has gone along way in breaking down barriers with opposing fans .

I love reading this kind of stuff I've unfortunately not witnessed.

More memories, please!

You missed a lot mate.. There was nothing like standing in a packed terrace when a goal is scored or it's kicked off a little.

I remember going to some games in the Popside and not seeing much at all of the game, still loved every minute.

Fulham at home when we had to win to stay up.. Everyone over the fence and on the edge of the pitch.. Well most of us were on the edge of the pitch.. Archie scoring against the Gumps, never saw the goal as it was at the Ossie end but still one of my best memories.

Leeds at home, always a personal fav...

One of my biggest regrets was not being able to take little Angry to the BBG.. He will never know what football used to be like before Sky got hold of it and they sanitised it all. It's up to the yoof now to make the Ipro a place where they will have their memories.. Hopefully in 20 years we will be reading posts about the mighty South Stand.. Maybe not but I hope so.

I'm just an old git living in the past and loving the memories home and away.

There are some great clips on YouTube of the BBG mate. There is a local lad who did some really good local clips.

You missed a lot mate.. There was nothing like standing in a packed terrace when a goal is scored or it's kicked off a little.

I remember going to some games in the Popside and not seeing much at all of the game, still loved every minute.

Fulham at home when we had to win to stay up.. Everyone over the fence and on the edge of the pitch.. Well most of us were on the edge of the pitch.. Archie scoring against the Gumps, never saw the goal as it was at the Ossie end but still one of my best memories.

Leeds at home, always a personal fav...

One of my biggest regrets was not being able to take little Angry to the BBG.. He will never know what football used to be like before Sky got hold of it and they sanitised it all. It's up to the yoof now to make the Ipro a place where they will have their memories.. Hopefully in 20 years we will be reading posts about the mighty South Stand.. Maybe not but I hope so.

I'm just an old git living in the past and loving the memories home and away.

There are some great clips on YouTube of the BBG mate. There is a local lad who did some really good local clips.

The Fulham game of 83 was an event wasn't it. Does anyone on here know the guy who tried to take their winger out near the corner flag at the end. Can't imagine any game nowadays having any chance of finishing like that. Just wouldn't happen. It was a disgrace in all honesty that day, but it was so funny hearing Malcolm McDonald whine on and on for a good few days afterwards.

I love reading this kind of stuff I've unfortunately not witnessed.

More memories, please!

V sheffield wednesday in the cup in the mid 80s....1-1 draw......paul warhurst defender turned striker scored for them when he was on that silly record breaking goal scoring streak.....boddy davison scored for us.

Me, me dad and me brother couldn't get tickets for the Lee Stand etc and had to go on the Popside.

I'm not dure me Dad had ever been on the Popside, and he was a bit out of place.

We were right amongst the meat heads in the heart of the chanting, when me Dad did one of those embarrassing things that only Dads can do.....he started Pom pom pomming out loud to the chants...including the dambusters march.

Pom pom pom pom pom-pom pom pom pom.......hmmm hmmm hmm hhmm hmm hmm hm hmmmmmmmm...

And i remember someone shouting ' some cnuts actually singing!'

The final pom pom pom was drowned out....

......Pom pom pom.....WE ALL FUCKKING HATE LEEDS!!!

I had to laugh or die.

V sheffield wednesday in the cup in the mid 80s....1-1 draw......paul warhurst defender turned striker scored for them when he was on that silly record breaking goal scoring streak.....boddy davison scored for us.

Me, me dad and me brother couldn't get tickets for the Lee Stand etc and had to go on the Popside.

I'm not dure me Dad had ever been on the Popside, and he was a bit out of place.

We were right amongst the meat heads in the heart of the chanting, when me Dad did one of those embarrassing things that only Dads can do.....he started Pom pom pomming out loud to the chants...including the dambusters march.

Pom pom pom pom pom-pom pom pom pom.......hmmm hmmm hmm hhmm hmm hmm hm hmmmmmmmm...

And i remember someone shouting ' some cnuts actually singing!'

The final pom pom pom was drowned out....

......Pom pom pom.....WE ALL FUCKKING HATE LEEDS!!!

I had to laugh or die.

That was the one that was postponed a couple of times.  Bloody freezing that night.. :D

The Fulham game of 83 was an event wasn't it. Does anyone on here know the guy who tried to take their winger out near the corner flag at the end. Can't imagine any game nowadays having any chance of finishing like that. Just wouldn't happen. It was a disgrace in all honesty that day, but it was so funny hearing Malcolm McDonald whine on and on for a good few days afterwards.

Didn't know the lad but i was 5 yards along the line from him and clearly saw him trip the Fulham player. It was surreal even by those days standards!

I can't remember which one it is but there is a boozer in Burton that has the ball from that Fulham game behind the bar.....one of the lads swiped it as we invaded the pitch.

Every game we would park at the DRI, walk up to the Grange, grab as many beers as we could, stand on the garden if it wasn't freezing cold or play the bandits inside if it was, leave as late as possible, walk down to the ground, get chips in a massive newspaper cone thing and wobble into the C Stand, just in time for kick off....

Such great memories, not just of the baseball ground but of football in general.....the worst thing this football club has ever done is build Pride Park.

Archived