The Popside

uttoxram75

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to know if anyone remembers a particular game, about 1074 as a guess. It was a saturday against Newcastle I think and very windy. Parts of the Ossie Stand roof started to lift off with pieces of asbestos sheeting actually falling below. The whole of the Issie end terrace was emptied and the crowd  shoehorned mostly into the Vulcan st end of the Popside but I think in the second half allowed to return. 

My memory might be a bit hazy but I know this happened.

The match played on and I think we won!

We were playing Chelsea ,it was the next time we played them after they ripped all the seats out the Ossie end .The Chelsea fans were supposed to be banned .

Anyway a big scrap starts in the popside and at the time I had a friends 12 year old with me, I walk him down to the pitch for safety ,I look back and there is a row of coppers standing at the back just watching the punch up.

I left the lad at the front and walked back up the terracing to the coppers ,I had a right go at the sergeant on the end told him they were supposed to be banned etc and I had a young lad with me and were they going to sort it out.

He took his helmet off ,offered it to me and said ,son if you want to sort it out borrow my helmet. 

I left the lad at the front and walked back up the terracing to the coppers ,I had a right go at the sergeant on the end told him they were supposed to be banned etc and I had a young lad with me and were they going to sort it out.

He took his helmet off ,offered it to me and said ,son if you want to sort it out borrow my helmet.

Rozzers progressed to watching DLF and Middlesbrough have large fight in road by station in 1997 FA Cup game .....but forming a line across road at each end ....fans had to pass police line ...who duly hit arms and heads of fans who had been fighting ......not sure which court hearing passed that brutal punishment ..... Also one of last games vs Tottenham at BBG Tottenham met c stand after game after lots of antagonism ......big but quick fight ...police watched but then truncheon end two or three derby fans involved ......stupidly not realising families et al saw them basically assault people way after any fan violence had occurred ......for the next five minutes on walk up to Grange everyone was reading out the coppers number and walking up to them .......

The DLF were unheard of until the early 80's. During the 70's it was just Popside and Ossie End, the DLF and C Stand came later. 

The 70's was just mayhem, it was very rarely organised, just spontaneous oubreaks of fighting whenever lads came into contact with each other.

Home or away, it was downright dangerous to show your colours or even travel in groups of more than 4 or 5, unless of course there were a few hundred of you..............

The danger and fear was totally wiped out by the sheer excitement of it though. :D 

Never did get involved in the DLF even though we knew some who were on the periphery. I was always too pissed to fight anyway. 

I remember one mad nutter in the mid 70's. He was known as Johann or some dutch name like that. He was one of the real hard buggers who stood in the middle of the road when 200 Leeds or Stoke fans were running towards you, he'd be shouting " no fcker run!", "stand and fight!".....no idea if he ended up as a founder member of the DLF or not. I'm sure one or two of our older members will recall him.....

The DLF were unheard of until the early 80's. During the 70's it was just Popside and Ossie End, the DLF and C Stand came later. 

The 70's was just mayhem, it was very rarely organised, just spontaneous oubreaks of fighting whenever lads came into contact with each other.

Home or away, it was downright dangerous to show your colours or even travel in groups of more than 4 or 5, unless of course there were a few hundred of you..............

The danger and fear was totally wiped out by the sheer excitement of it though. :D

Never did get involved in the DLF even though we knew some who were on the periphery. I was always too pissed to fight anyway. 

I remember one mad nutter in the mid 70's. He was known as Johann or some dutch name like that. He was one of the real hard buggers who stood in the middle of the road when 200 Leeds or Stoke fans were running towards you, he'd be shouting " no fcker run!", "stand and fight!".....no idea if he ended up as a founder member of the DLF or not. I'm sure one or two of our older members will recall him.....

Johann was a proper head case and was involved with the original DLF. Cracking bloke who is now living in Burton.

Hadn't seen him for a few years and then bumped into him before the 5-0 hammering of forest last season, he just said " I'll always turn out for these barstewards"

We were playing Chelsea ,it was the next time we played them after they ripped all the seats out the Ossie end .The Chelsea fans were supposed to be banned .

Anyway a big scrap starts in the popside and at the time I had a friends 12 year old with me, I walk him down to the pitch for safety ,I look back and there is a row of coppers standing at the back just watching the punch up.

That's brilliant can't blame them thoe! I'm suprised people didn't die from these brawls always sound brutal! I'm guessing it was good for making friends.

When ever I go Derby games or around town or night down town it's amazing how many people my old man knows! Made some fantastic friends with brilliant stories they all seem to never regret it no matter how many scars and teeth they've lost! Being honest thoe kinda glad it calmed down.

Always remember when I was younger going to my 1st away game with him and a few others to Leicester Philbert Street (Could be spelt wrong) away can remember him telling me to go and hide must of been 8 years old as they could see trouble coming.. Never shat it so much in my life and feared for his safety guess it makes you feel alive I guess.

Johann was a proper head case and was involved with the original DLF. Cracking bloke who is now living in Burton.

Hadn't seen him for a few years and then bumped into him before the 5-0 hammering of forest last season, he just said " I'll always turn out for these barstewards"

I used to sit in the seat directly in front of him in the C Stand, really nice bloke....but really happy I was on the same side as me... I remember when we played Sunderland and some of their lads had infiltrated the C Stand...they scored and jumped up and I looked to the side and they were about 10 seats away from me-I glanced around and said to Johann "what are you going to do about that?" (Or something equally as daft) and he picked me up by my jacket and threw me into the middle of them (over about 10 people) and shouted "don't worry son, I'm right behind you" and he was, and they absolutely pooped their pants...(as I did to be honest!)

Nice lad, always speaks politely to me and the wife when he sees us around town.

There was a Popside hero who's name i never knew. We called him the "bloke with the cap" as he always wore one of those 70's blue and white Derby caps and later on a blue and white woollen one worn like a robin hood type hat . Whenever any away fans tried to infiltrate the Vulcan Street Popside he'd just appear like magic and be the first to wade in when the "gap" magically appeared!

I've seen him a few times in the East Stand over the years and believe he's from Ilson. He's got to be well lover 60 now and still looked hard as fck the last time i saw him.

• 4 weeks later...

John was a cracking bloke, We didn't always see eye to eye, But you could never fault his passion for DCFC.

And the stories he used to post on the DLF site about his mam were brilliant.

He was also one of the main men in organising the big flag and looked after it for the 1st season or 2.  John, Myself and a few others were the people that used to walk it around from the North stand to the South East corner when we first got it.

He was also involved in the RPG alongside others off here when we decided that we needed to get rid of the 3 Amigos.

The bloke lived and breathed Derby County.

Sorry to hear John passed away I used to talk with him outside the main entrance in my autographing days wondered what had happened to him .That photo is on the back cover of the champions 1974-75 book(2004)He told me someone bought it him and it was a big surprise to see himself

Think it was a night match Chelsea fans stood right at the back of the popside and when the Chelsea team ran out of the tunnel they charged forward they got beat back and split into ones and twos and got picked off throughout the first half.I was stood in a walkway when a Chelsea fan pushed his way through trying to get out he got hammered before any police could get him out.Was it 1978/79?

Think it was a night match Chelsea fans stood right at the back of the popside and when the Chelsea team ran out of the tunnel they charged forward they got beat back and split into ones and twos and got picked off throughout the first half.I was stood in a walkway when a Chelsea fan pushed his way through trying to get out he got hammered before any police could get him out.Was it 1978/79?

Hi Mate .no this was a Saturday game I was so annoyed I stopped off at a phone box [no mobiles then ]and rang Chris Ashley who used to do a sport show on Radio Trent to tell him the story.

Archived