Set-pieces

AmericanRam

I am sure others noticed yesterday and really the whole season that we really need to work on our set-pieces,especially corners.The delivery was awful imo and left those in the box with no chance basically.That has happened in a few matches.

Do we need new kick takers on these important set-pieces? Or Mac needs to come up with some better tactics?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same reason for each. We just aren't very good at attacking headers. We never seem to head the ball with true intent and if you watch us when we have a corner, it's just a collection of players all concentrated in one area. No-one takes up positions at the back post or runs from outside the box. Also, we rarely try the pull back to the edge of the area where we might have more of a chance with a shot.

I am sure others noticed yesterday and really the whole season that we really need to work on our set-pieces,especially corners.The delivery was awful imo and left those in the box with no chance basically.That has happened in a few matches.

Do we need new kick takers on these important set-pieces? Or Mac needs to come up with some better tactics?

I actually thought set-pieces were better yesterday.

We didn't win anything from them because Manga was so good at CB

I'd be interested to know what work happens on the training ground here. Will Hughes seems not only talented but also a bright and dedicated lad. Maybe he's already doing this, but if not he should spend an hour after training every day with Simmo, working on becoming deadly and indispensable - not just for Derby but for England in the future.

When Idiakez stepped up you always expected him to score. The same with Rioch. Right now, I think we may as well pass the ball back to the opposition and get on with the game.

Anyone seen the DCFC corner challenge? Coutts was class, Ward was absolutely terrible.

It makes sense to have the smallest player with next to no chance of winning a header from a corner taking them, but jeeze he's really not good.

We've not had a decent freekick or corner taker for ages. I still remember the days of watching Idiakez lining up for a free-kick with the expectation that he might actually score. Not now!

For those that went to the match vs. Reading, were set pieces better than they have been? Who should take them now?  Got the match on audio, but could barely hear it.

I don't have a season ticket but have seen enough games either through streams or actually going to them to be able to tell you that they were better than what I'd seen previously this season (apart from  the ones Mascarell took against Charlton) and were all taken by Russell or Bryson. Mascarell took one free kick about 30-35 yards out which he passed to Russell out wide rather than going for goal - it looked like a training ground move to me but Ramage and Dawes still had a pop at him for not having the confidence to shoot.

Just seen your post JW, Mascarell took most of the free-kicks inside our own half and passed them short as we usually do but he was definitely back on the halfway line from corners with Christie wasn't he?

Archived