Derby County have made an enquiry for Bournemouth winger Matt Ritchie - Sky Sports Pete O'Rouke

North_Stand_Ram

I wonder if Ritchie can take set pieces?

We might not 'need' another winger, but we certainly could do with someone who could take corners and free kicks. I do seem to remember that I used to watch with bated breath as we took corners, now I tend to just look around to see which opposition player is going to lead the break away. If we could replace any one of Russell, Ward or Dawkins with a player of similar quality, but the ability to take a set piece then it would have to be worthwhile.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah he can! Remember him coming on against us last season Bournemouth away, takes a decent set piece, very direct and always looks to make it happen. Iv always thought he's the closest thing iv seen to another Kris Commons. Just my opinion tho

Fair enough, though it was a serious question on if ambitious has got any qualifications or it was a throw away comment.

I like Dawkins and think he has had a rough time from fans especially as none of the wingers have performed to their ability in the games to date, yet he has been singled out.

I like Dawkins too, and he nearly carved out a couple of chances late in the game yesterday.

The manager has seen fit to replace Russell and Dawkins in nearly every game they have started, neither has done enough to make the slot his own. 

He's replaced both wingers in nearly every game he's managed us.  It's throwing on fresh, pacy legs to run at tired defences, not because he's unhappy with how the 2 wingers have played.

When you look at the Ritchie "highlights" video on YouTube, he doesn't come across as special. Whereas Johnny has a special quality in his instinctive finishing (for instance the one from Thorne's threaded pass last year). We've not seen the best of JR because we play him out of position to fit into our system, but I'd say his time will come.

But we can't buy everyone and the squad is already beginning to look large. Of course I trust the management team to make the right call whether it's:

1. stick as we are
  2. swap Russell for Ritchie
  3. bring Ritchie in to swell the numbers

I'd prefer option 1, but I've not particularly noticed Ritchie - maybe he's simply too good not to go for. If it's option 3, I don't understand going for Ibe.

Archived