It's like walking into a morgue in this forum...

Chris Mills

Just look at the 4 top threads right now:

This season be a struggle?

We are 2 games in to a huge season and already we are worried? What are we going to say when we get to the inevitable flat point half way through the season where we get 4 points from a possible 15? Bloody hell...

All the bloody same thread as well practically. This board is full of duplicates... Including this thread.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have not looked impressive against lower grade teams who are not going to be in the promotion mix

We might improve who knows.

Arsenal also scraped a win against Crystal Palace, just as we scraped one against Rotherham. A sign of a good team is one that gets a result despite a bad performance and so far we have got 2 decent results. You can't exapect a team to be playing it's best every game of the season. All teams have up and downs, and we haven't even started on a down so don't wat to see your reaction when we have one.

If we are going off our last 2 performances for the rest of the season, we are going to finish on 92 points and not conceed a goal.  

Arsenal also scraped a win against Crystal Palace, just as we scraped one against Rotherham. A sign of a good team is one that gets a result despite a bad performance and so far we have got 2 decent results. You can't exapect a team to be playing it's best every game of the season. All teams have up and downs, and we haven't even started on a down so don't wat to see your reaction when we have one.

If we are going off our last 2 performances for the rest of the season, we are going to finish on 92 points and not conceed a goal.

Ok but I hope we don't think the teams we have played up to now are top notch because they are not.

I'd say we have had a reasonable start to the season no more.

Thorne not getting injured would of helped.

We should expect to win at teams like Charlton tomorrow if we want to get automatic promotion.

Just look at the 4 top threads right now:

This season be a struggle?

We are 2 games in to a huge season and already we are worried? What are we going to say when we get to the inevitable flat point half way through the season where we get 4 points from a possible 15? Bloody hell...

All the bloody same thread as well practically. This board is full of duplicates... Including this thread.

Yep, knew it would get like this. Though I thought we'd actually have to lose first. With the season we're hoping for it should be quite upbeat on here. Getting *****

We have not looked impressive against lower grade teams who are not going to be in the promotion mix

We might improve who knows.

"Lower grade teams"

This forum really gets to me sometimes, just how negative and just how much weight people put on such a small amount of information at times. It's baffling at so many levels.

The season consists of 46 matches, across varying conditions and varying opponents. So far we are 2 games in and have 4 points, from one home game and one away. The fun thought from this though is what relevance does this have? Well, when you consider that both teams we've played are an unknown quality at this point (being the first two games of the season) and that we are currently testing things out after a massive pre season blow, probably very little. We have 4 points, which is at that magical 2 points per game rate.

This is what I took away from the first two games (+ the League Cup, though not putting much weight on that):

- We look a bit rusty

- Our midfield is not functioning properly without someone who is naturally used to the Eustace-Thorne role

- Without a functioning midfield the attack has struggled

- We looked better with Mascarell there than Hughes, who looked a tad lost lost

- Despite not being at our best we were still effective enough to win one, draw one and walk away with two clean sheets

It's also worth noting that being as it's only two games as well, it could well be a blip. Better teams than us have played a far worse pair of game, against far worse opposition. Considering how some previous playoff final losing sides have done, I would say 4 points from 2 is worth it's weight in gold, regardless of performance. The key is that we start getting into our stride, but those points could be vital.

But let's think about those "lower grade teams" you mentioned again:

- Rotherham: Fresh from promotion, went on to beat Wolves in the second match of the season

- Sheffield Wednesday: Beat Brighton away on opening day

So what does this all mean? Well, we got 4 points from two games, on home, one away, against two teams that both have started alright. We seemingly need to sort the midfield, but we were effective enough to pick up points.

We'll see how we go tomorrow, but currently we really haven't started poorly.

"Lower grade teams"This forum really gets to me sometimes, just how negative and just how much weight people put on such a small amount of information at times. It's baffling at so many levels.The season consists of 46 matches, across varying conditions and varying opponents. So far we are 2 games in and have 4 points, from one home game and one away. The fun thought from this though is what relevance does this have? Well, when you consider that both teams we've played are an unknown quality at this point (being the first two games of the season) and that we are currently testing things out after a massive pre season blow, probably very little. We have 4 points, which is at that magical 2 points per game rate.This is what I took away from the first two games (+ the League Cup, though not putting much weight on that):- We look a bit rusty- Our midfield is not functioning properly without someone who is naturally used to the Eustace-Thorne role- Without a functioning midfield the attack has struggled- We looked better with Mascarell there than Hughes, who looked a tad lost lost- Despite not being at our best we were still effective enough to win one, draw one and walk away with two clean sheetsIt's also worth noting that being as it's only two games as well, it could well be a blip. Better teams than us have played a far worse pair of game, against far worse opposition. Considering how some previous playoff final losing sides have done, I would say 4 points from 2 is worth it's weight in gold, regardless of performance. The key is that we start getting into our stride, but those points could be vital.But let's think about those "lower grade teams" you mentioned again:- Rotherham: Fresh from promotion, went on to beat Wolves in the second match of the season- Sheffield Wednesday: Beat Brighton away on opening daySo what does this all mean? Well, we got 4 points from two games, on home, one away, against two teams that both have started alright. We seemingly need to sort the midfield, but we were effective enough to pick up points.We'll see how we go tomorrow, but currently we really haven't started poorly.

guaranteed promotion then that's it.

End of discussion no need for any other views.

guaranteed promotion then that's it.

End of discussion no need for any other views.

No need for hysteria - plenty of need for making rational arguments, irrespective of which side of the fence you are sitting on.

Try it some time. You haven't yet, because "We should be beating rubbish sides like these" is subjective rot.

Got to agree with the OP on this.

Since Saturday, I have probably looked on here about 6 or 7 times and had a quick look at a few posts and then marked the rest as read.

When we do lose i'll probably avoid the site altogether for a couple of days.

Whatever happened to the days where we would go to the pub after the game, Have a rant if we weren't happy and then move on to thoughts about getting 3 points at the next game? 

Just my opinion but I don't think "we should be beating the likes of xxx if we're serious about promotion" etc applies in this league.

How likely are we to get a win at Brighton to Sheffield? Is a win against Cardiff so unlikely that it makes teams like Charlton a must win.

If we'd lost to Wednesday then I'd still have lots of optimism because I believe we have the ability to beat Norwich, Cardiff, Wolves (can't believe people rate them so high) Fulham, Blackburn etc etc.

When we get the rhythm I believe we'll beat anyone. Out of rhythm i expect to be tough to beat. When we're poor then we get nothing like any team.

We weren't at our best in the opening two games but we still created chances. The best 2/3 chances away at Wednesday btw.

In the early months I expect irregular results as different teams are at different levels playing without pressure. When everything becomes a bit more about habit then I think we'll come good.

Said it in the match day thread about every manager at this stage "likes to get the ball down and play it". Wait until pressure starts and the enthusiasm turns more towards nerves and desperation.

Like stupid Forest fans last season putting the league table up in September. Chill

Just thought I'd have a gander on whoscored.com to see if we were rated as bad as some people are making out...

We have joint third best rating - only behind Millwall and Bournemouth who have won both their games.

After what happened at Wembley we were always going to start tentatively. The players need to build up their momentum after a massive kick in the gonads at the end of last season. 

Instead of changing formations, dropping players, signing players and idiots getting on players backs we should be backing the lads and the coaching staff. They know what they are doing, lets let them do what they are good at and back them from the stands. 

Archived