On the cheap

Ovis aries

Can buy you lurvvv though :wub:

For a while I think you are right Ovis - you can I understand currently get good value from Russia, the Phillipines, Thailand and Nottingham. But if you are the age I think you are, I would suggest just like our Derby owners, you keep your hand held tightly on the old wallet because them girls will eventually bite the hand that feeds.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking at things objectively..............

They have strengthened the developmental side with several new players that all sound as though they have a lot to give.

They have given short contracts to Naylor and Whitbread who were already at the club/part of the first team squad.

They have bought Thorne who was a loanee  -   our major signing which has temporally gone wrong but that is football and at least he is ours and from what we have already seen a gifted, mature young man.

They have bought a new young permanent right back to replace Wisdom who was a loanee.

And today they have replaced a loanee striker with a loanee.- but one who has more experience and will hopefully slot in for Martin without changing the system if Martin is injured/needs to share the load.------  or we finally have a Plan B !!

Other players who were on the periphery have been allowed to leave which allows us to bring Roos into the first team squad.

Because we have brought in several young players and secured existing players on new contracts it seems as though we have done a lot of business. But in terms of new faces in the first team squad we have NOT

I might be holding the wrong end of the stick here, but my take on all of this is "the connection" that you have with the team, and not the money spent, or, ultimately, the success achieved. As things stand at the moment, I feel that most Rams fans have a better connection, than for quite a long time, and as long as the guys on the pitch are seen to be giving their best, and the management striving to achieve a balanced and sustainable approach, then no complaints from me.

I am just suffering from sour grapes because you are all going to renew that connection on Saturday  -  that magic day when you are back in the ground with that tingle of anticipation and wonderment that the season really is about to begin and you are back where you belong . 

And you are right about the level of connection between fans and players being so high. Which is why I am so disappointed that I have had to finally become a radio listener and that connection and intimate knowledge of the individual players and how they knit together will gradually fade. I should be grateful that the squad is basically the same and I can still visualise what is happening on the pitch ...................not moaning because in real terms so little has changed   .............

Still think we are trying to do it on the cheap , can not see much evidence of any new money having been spent , yet .

It's no use borrowing razor blades from the Forest fans either.

They're all blunt by now.

Seriously, a huge amount has been spent on George Thorne - and god knows how much on getting the Academy up to Category 1. That's a lot of new staff there for a start.

I am just suffering from sour grapes because you are all going to renew that connection on Saturday  -  that magic day when you are back in the ground with that tingle of anticipation and wonderment that the season really is about to begin and you are back where you belong . 

And you are right about the level of connection between fans and players being so high. Which is why I am so disappointed that I have had to finally become a radio listener and that connection and intimate knowledge of the individual players and how they knit together will gradually fade. I should be grateful that the squad is basically the same and I can still visualise what is happening on the pitch ...................not moaning because in real terms so little has changed   .............

Sounds like you are where I was  few years ago, so all I can say is that what goes around comes around and in a few years you will be able to resume contact. Hang in there buddy!

This is seems like a sad post Toldu. I hope you will have some happy times with your "Roberts" this season, and that you do get to a few games along the way. Look forward to reading more of your posts in weeks and months to come.

I do not recall me advocating selling any of our best players, far from it , want more .

But by ignoring all the new contracts for them and saying we are being cheap... You are kinda asking for it.

I've not seen much in the way of interest for our players considering how well they did last year. I would have been tempted to let Keogh and Ward go which would have given us a few extra quid to spend on fresh blood. However, there's something to be said for a settled side. They should start the season well.

Can anyone remember when we last sold a player for more than we expected?

Theo and tyson

I thought we'd get nothing for either

It's no use borrowing razor blades from the Forest fans either.

They're all blunt by now.

Seriously, a huge amount has been spent on George Thorne - and god knows how much on getting the Academy up to Category 1. That's a lot of new staff there for a start.

I totally agree , but and I say this from my heart , terrible luck with young Mr Thorne , but even with him , and especially without him we are IMHO not as strong a side as last season.

With the league looking stronger this season than last we will have to be better than last season, hence my trepidation , no wrist slashing, just a genuine concern that a couple of class players have not yet been acquired.

Of course a couple of the youngsters could turn out to be just that.

I dare say that you really ought to wait until after the Transfer Window has shut and the loan window has opened.

If we sign 3 more players on loan (we carried 4 for most of last season and now we have Best) we have surely invested. Huge Thorne fee, signed Christie and improved contracts for a number of players. Plus clear investment in the youth side of things. I think that's a fair chunk considering the desire to meet FFP

It was clear from the beginning of the summer that McClaren intended to keep faith with the squad that finished third last season. McClaren might not have said this in absolute terms but his actions certainly pointed towards that with permanent deals for Naylor and Whitbread, contract extensions for six first-team players including Craig Bryson and of course the pursuit of George Thorne. Given that, I'm not sure how we can be perceived to be doing things on the cheap. The signing of Thorne alone should tell you that we are stepping it up a gear. We spent in excess of

Still think we are trying to do it on the cheap , can not see much evidence of any new money having been spent , yet .

I have a right to my opinion , that's what forums are all about.

You should be seeing both sides being a "moderator" not telling people to do one if you don't agree with them.

Derby are my club and have been for over sixty years, and all our major success has come from spending over the top, ( has been our downfall too, but not so many times ).

Opinions are worth exactly what they're backed by. An opinion, being solely backed by your feelings, is worth exactly nothing, unless you're talking to your mum. Now, unless your mum really has a Derby Forum fetish, I doubt the entire set of posters on here are multies of your mum. With that in mind the following phrases are meaningless:

I have a right to my opinion , that's what forums are all about.

You do have a right to an opinion, doesn't give it any value or worth though.

You should be seeing both sides being a "moderator" not telling people to do one if you don't agree with them.

He has as much right to an opinion as you, being a moderator doesn't make it any more or less valuable, but at the same time it doesn't mean he has less right to give his. It's a forum, as you say.

Derby are my club and have been for over sixty years

Completely irrelevant. It's one of the silliest fallacies you could run with. Just because you're been supporting and watching the club for longer doesn't give you a special pedestal to put your unbacked opinions.

This all said of course, I completely agree, nothing this off season suggests that we're pushing the boat out, and I completely agree with the approach we're taking. There's no point burning everything we've spent the best part of a decade building on one flashbang shot at promotion. We should however consider that there has been a higher spend than normal:

New deals for Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Forsyth, Buxton, etc. Biggest signing since we were last in the Premier League. The key though is that we're not gone completely Fulham and signed a good, but not stunning Championship striker for

I dare say that you really ought to wait until after the Transfer Window has shut and the loan window has opened.

If we sign 3 more players on loan (we carried 4 for most of last season and now we have Best) we have surely invested. Huge Thorne fee, signed Christie and improved contracts for a number of players. Plus clear investment in the youth side of things. I think that's a fair chunk considering the desire to meet FFP

Completely agree with this.

Last season really didn't get started until SM & Co arrived. It was then that they assessed what was needed and dipped into the loan market. Who's to say the same won't happen again this season. I'm sure SM said recently that he is waiting to see what the PL teams do with their squads before he makes too many decisions.

I'm confident that the owners will back SM, and he will need a plan of attack to convince them. In my opinion that was perhaps the difference between our current manager and his predecessor.

Opinions are worth exactly what they're backed by. An opinion, being solely backed by your feelings, is worth exactly nothing, unless you're talking to your mum. Now, unless your mum really has a Derby Forum fetish, I doubt the entire set of posters on here are multies of your mum. With that in mind the following phrases are meaningless:You do have a right to an opinion, doesn't give it any value or wowrth though.He has as much right to an opinion as you, being a moderator doesn't make it any more or less valuable, but at the same time it doesn't mean he has less right to give his. It's a forum, as you say.Completely irrelevant. It's one of the silliest fallacies you could run with. Just because you're been supporting and watching the club for longer doesn't give you a special pedestal to put your unbacked opinions.This all said of course, I completely agree, nothing this off season suggests that we're pushing the boat out, and I completely agree with the approach we're taking. There's no point burning everything we've spent the best part of a decade building on one flashbang shot at promotion. We should however consider that there has been a higher spend than normal:New deals for Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Forsyth, Buxton, etc. Biggest signing since we were last in the Premier League. The key though is that we're not gone completely Fulham and signed a good, but not stunning Championship striker for

Archived