Owen Bradley: Freeman to join Mansfield Town on loan

Day

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like its Mansfield requesting him rather than us touting him around other clubs. A months loan with a recall clause is probably sensible if he's not going to be playing anytime soon.

Reckon that's the sum of it.

Buxton has played at LB so worst case he could fill in and Gjokaj come in at CB if anything happened to Forsyth.

Still, disappointing we didn't nail the LB position when Roberts left.

Re Smith. I don't recall him overlapping or getting a decent cross in.From memory he has no assists or even assisted a chance. Maybe I'm being harsh but that's just from memory.

You're right. In his first few games he seemed more attack minded but every cross was rubbish or went out of play which seemed to knock his confidence. Now he tends to cut inside when forward rather than risk putting in another pathetic cross...

Was McClaren at Forest at the same time as Freeman?

I know it's only a month but it does seem a bit weird to be letting players go out when we've got such a small squad to start with. I agree with the others who've said Smith is no better than Freeman as well, it seems strange that we've not sent Smith back and kept Freeman as back up, I hope Smiths contract doesn't mean we can't send him back and if that is the case, who the hell negotiated that clause?

Is there another event where someone can ask him if we can send Smith back, contractually I mean, does he have to be with us for the whole season?

I guess the other option might be that Mac wants to keep Smith as first choice right back and eventually move Wisdom across to the centre but that means big changes to the squad.

A bit harsh on Freeman to have to drop to league two, he's going to have to keep his head up, it'll be tough for him to drop to that level again, especially when he's not looked too bad at Championship level (one or two mistakes) .

Pretty surprising Nigel or Sheff Utd didn't ask about him if he's available for loan.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Smith loan deal cost six figures and had been describe as taking up some of the Brayford money. So maybe they want value for money and would lose the fee if they sent him back.

I am speculating here but there may well be a clause in the deal that states that Smith has to be in or around the first team on match day. If that was the case you would have thought the previous management were happy with that. 

With it being for a month, I'm not too concerned, he should really be playing in League 1 but it's regular games, for a month, with a local team. Maybe were helping them out whilst he's not overly involved. 

The lad has done well in patches and shown some ability, but lacks experience and makes the odd mistake. While the plan was steady improvement we could live with that and be encouraged by his development. Now we seem to be looking at a higher set of expectations, to be frank we haven't got a full back at the club who would seem to fit the bill.

Archived