Owen Bradley: Freeman to join Mansfield Town on loan

Day

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Nottingham Post...

_______

Is Kieron Freeman on his way back to Mansfield Town on loan?

A SECOND loan stint at Mansfield Town could be on the cards for Kieron Freeman.

The 21-year-old Derby County defender made nine appearances for the Stags on loan during a two-month spell in the 2011/12 campaign.

And the former Nottingham Forest youth player, who also spent time on loan at Notts County in 2012, looks set to be called upon again.

With Paul Cox's men struggling with injuries and suspensions, it is understood a one-month deal could be on the horizon.

Strange decision if true.

Is as good as Smith from what I have seen so far this season.

Send Smith back to Spurs and let's have our own players on the bench.

Totally agree with that, been disappointed with Smith. Came with a good profile, supposedly Brayford-esque but i dont think he's any better than Freeman.

Still if Freeman gets competitive games then i guess it keeps him fresh rather than u21s

Totally agree with that, been disappointed with Smith. Came with a good profile, supposedly Brayford-esque but i dont think he's any better than Freeman.

Still if Freeman gets competitive games then i guess it keeps him fresh rather than u21s

I would argue that u21s is as competitve as playing for Mansfield

He is 3rd choice right back currently so makes sense for him to have some games. I don't see the fuss about him, he has been average at best. Just another Richard Jackson

I guess the fuss is we are probably paying more for Smith, who has been equally average, and he is only bench warming.

I would argue that u21s is as competitve as playing for Mansfield

He will find that it is more competitive at Mansfield, he may be playing against more skillful players in the U21's but in League 2 he will be playing against some smarter more experienced players who are often physically stronger. It is a good idea for a month, he has been on the bench too long and hardly played lately. 

Was McClaren at Forest at the same time as Freeman?

I know it's only a month but it does seem a bit weird to be letting players go out when we've got such a small squad to start with. I agree with the others who've said Smith is no better than Freeman as well, it seems strange that we've not sent Smith back and kept Freeman as back up, I hope Smiths contract doesn't mean we can't send him back and if that is the case, who the hell negotiated that clause?

Is there another event where someone can ask him if we can send Smith back, contractually I mean, does he have to be with us for the whole season?

I guess the other option might be that Mac wants to keep Smith as first choice right back and eventually move Wisdom across to the centre but that means big changes to the squad.

A bit harsh on Freeman to have to drop to league two, he's going to have to keep his head up, it'll be tough for him to drop to that level again, especially when he's not looked too bad at Championship level (one or two mistakes) .

Pretty surprising Nigel or Sheff Utd didn't ask about him if he's available for loan.

I really don't see the big deal here. He has been sent out for a month to help a local team that has an injury crisis. It gives him a few competitive games and is within easy travelling distance so no upheaval for him. He must have agreed to the loan!!

I reckon we'll probably sign a left back on loan at some point but I don't like having so many loans, it creates a messy squad balance. I can understand the manager has his own ideas about players but to me, Nigel was pretty strong overall in picking a good player for the budget he had - based on history, I'm not sure McLaren and Simpson are experts on that side of things but they do seem stronger with the tactical side.

Archived