Test match England V India

ramafan

Game over. Jordan with two late wickets, Moeen bowling really well again.

Although to be honest, this England attack isn't great. To tear through India like that, without Broad, says a lot about their standard of batting as well as us.

Still, a win's a win and we look set to go on and win the series, hopefully 3-1 as well. Then we can look to build momentum ahead of the WC and Ashes. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The third seamer spot is a bit of a problem really. Anderson and Broad are world class, and latest twirly Moeen Ali has already demonstrated that he is very effective - and he's still only learning his trade. There are going to be times when you really need that fourth bowler to do more than just keep it tight while the main men are having a spit and a blow - and at the moment neither Woakes nor Jordan seem to be able to do even that.

Oh for a Freddie or a Corky.

Good to see England winning again. It's better when Australia and England can face eachother from an evenish standpoint, rather than one side or the other completely destroying eachother.

What I am finding odd those is this weird obsession England has developed with playing foreigners. You could field a test side, a very good one even, from the foreign players England has used in recent years:

1. Michael Lumb - South Africa

2. Sam Robson - Australia

3. Jonathan Trott - South Africa

4. Kevin Pietersen © - South Africa

5. Gary Ballance - Zimbabwe

6. Eoin Morgan - Ireland

7. Matt Prior (W) - South Africa

8. Ben Stokes - New Zealand

9. Chris Jordan - West Indies

10. Boyd Rankin - Ireland

11. Jade Dernbach - South Africa

12th. Nick Compton - South Africa

Not questioning their right to play for who they want, just seems a bit odd that's there's been so many recently. What's particularly odd is that it tends to be the batsmen more than the bowlers (can't find a spinner for that side even).

I don't know, just seems a bit odd.

Good to see England winning again. It's better when Australia and England can face eachother from an evenish standpoint, rather than one side or the other completely destroying eachother.

What I am finding odd those is this weird obsession England has developed with playing foreigners. You could field a test side, a very good one even, from the foreign players England has used in recent years:

1. Michael Lumb - South Africa

2. Sam Robson - Australia

3. Jonathan Trott - South Africa

4. Kevin Pietersen © - South Africa

5. Gary Ballance - Zimbabwe

6. Eoin Morgan - Ireland

7. Matt Prior (W) - South Africa

8. Ben Stokes - New Zealand

9. Chris Jordan - West Indies

10. Boyd Rankin - Ireland

11. Jade Dernbach - South Africa

12th. Nick Compton - South Africa

Not questioning their right to play for who they want, just seems a bit odd that's there's been so many recently. What's particularly odd is that it tends to be the batsmen more than the bowlers (can't find a spinner for that side even).

I don't know, just seems a bit odd.

England have always done this. Devon Malcolm, Alan Lamb, Chris and robin smith, Tony Greg, all the way back to Gubby Alan and the Nawab of petaubi. Even Douglas Jardine was born abroad.

In the 90s, because Australia were so good, our selectors believed simply having Australian-born players in the team would improve it. Jason Gallian anyone?

It's not new.

The third seamer spot is a bit of a problem really. Anderson and Broad are world class, and latest twirly Moeen Ali has already demonstrated that he is very effective - and he's still only learning his trade. There are going to be times when you really need that fourth bowler to do more than just keep it tight while the main men are having a spit and a blow - and at the moment neither Woakes nor Jordan seem to be able to do even that.

Oh for a Freddie or a Corky.

Yes - and let's not kid ourselves India playing away are good practice for the Aussies. If Finn can get his run-up sorted, he will be third seamer. Jordan, too. Seb Coe said Jordan will hurt himself if he continues to run in like he does.

Woakes is a good cricketer but not quite good enough for me at either discipline.

I heard Rob Key say the other day that Matt Dunn of Surrey will play for England. He's genuinely quick and has variations and at 22 has time to improve. 

I'm a bit worried that our current success might start to convince us we have the right formula for the future. Like you I think we lack depth in bowling and that includes spin, where Ali has had a good start but hasn't been attacked.

...oh and I forgot to mention that our problems against the short ball continue. That's something we have to address. We don't look too brave when it's fired in at throat level - even at the pace of India's attack. We shouldn't expect anything but a barrage when we play the Aussies and the South Africans. I don't see too many adopting the Dhoni plan of letting the ball hit them, so it's back to looking at the ball then ducking. The hook shot needs to be played with confidence not desperation.

Broad's new nose won't have done anything to boost the confidence.

It seems I am moaning when we are winning (and I'm so pleased for Alistair Cook) but I'm just being realistic about our chances when we play harder opponents.

...oh and I forgot to mention that our problems against the short ball continue. That's something we have to address. We don't look too brave when it's fired in at throat level - even at the pace of India's attack. We shouldn't expect anything but a barrage when we play the Aussies and the South Africans. I don't see too many adopting the Dhoni plan of letting the ball hit them, so it's back to looking at the ball then ducking. The hook shot needs to be played with confidence not desperation.

Broad's new nose won't have done anything to boost the confidence.

It seems I am moaning when we are winning (and I'm so pleased for Alistair Cook) but I'm just being realistic about our chances when we play harder opponents.

Maybe adjusting the helmets properly before sending your batsmen out would help with the shortball. Nothing fills players with confidence more than having their helmets done wrong.

This all said about the short ball, with Mitchell Johnson, Pattinson, Starc, Siddle and hopefully Harris (although I wouldn't be surprised if he never played again) in the attack, as well as anyone who impressed before then, Australia should have a few options capable of a good short ball, so don't be in too much of a hurry to iron out that weakness.

Shows though that we are not a bad side when we get a proper cricket wicket , one with a slight advantage towards the bowlers.

Batsmen's pitches are a lottery.

Shows what happens when you face a side that is dreadful away from home and has a hopeless Captain.

To put the fact that England managed to lose a match to them into context, India were on a 15 Test winless run away from home when they lost that match to India. They had also not won a series away since 2011.

It's great for England to have won, but don't get too excited yet. It's like with Australia, thrashing England was nice, yes. Beating South Africa was even nicer, but there's still a long way to go before Australia are completely past the terrible performances that we saw before last year.

Bonus Fun Fact: That was Dhoni's 7th loss by an innings as Captain in 56 games (it's 6 in 26 away, a staggering 23.1% of away matches, this is the same as his win rate away from home).

England have always done this. Devon Malcolm, Alan Lamb, Chris and robin smith, Tony Greg, all the way back to Gubby Alan and the Nawab of petaubi. Even Douglas Jardine was born abroad.

In the 90s, because Australia were so good, our selectors believed simply having Australian-born players in the team would improve it. Jason Gallian anyone?

It's not new.

You can add Colin Cowdray (india) and Ted Dexter (Italy) to that lot, too

You can add Colin Cowdray (india) and Ted Dexter (Italy) to that lot, too

The first-ever test match was played in Australia.

The first century in test cricket was scored by opener Charles Bannerman of Australia, but he was born in England.

Australia's number 3, Horan, was born in Ireland.

Australia's number 5, Cooper, was born in India.

Australia's number 6, Midwinter, was born in England.

Australia's number 10, Kendall, was born in England.

Australia's number 11, Hodges, was born in England.

136 years, nothing's changed.

Archived