Why do you follow the Rams

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never really forced into supporting anyone most of my family just arnt interested in football. But my uncle is a Derby fan and with our minor success in the late 90's and with me being quite young it was an easy sell and the support was planted. Unfortunately I fell out with football for a few years in my early teens and was only dragged along to a few boxing day games (one a memorable 3-0 defeat to Wolves) but the poison dwarfs promotion season got me back into it and I have followed the rams fervently ever since.

I was taken along to the BBG by my Grandad and my Dad for the first time early in the 95/96 season.  A pulsating 1-1 draw with Grimsby was all it took to get me hooked, I'm not sure anyone could have resisted after witnessing that glamour tie!

I was taken along to the BBG by my Grandad and my Dad for the first time early in the 95/96 season.  A pulsating 1-1 draw with Grimsby was all it took to get me hooked, I'm not sure anyone could have resisted after witnessing that glamour tie!

That was my first game too!!!!

I was born in Northampton and when I was 8 my Uncle (who is from Derby) took me to see my first game away at Southampton in 1988. That was 0-0. He then got me a season ticket and that was it for me, until a couple of years later when he moved back to Derbyshire and I was devastated I couldn't go every week anymore. I always loved being the only Derby supporter in my school, would always wear my shirt for football and took huge pride when girls would ask me who Derby were and why didn't I support a good team. As soon as I was old enough for my Mum to let me go on the train, normal service resumed and I was a season ticket holder again.

3 years ago for sake of wife and children I moved to the coast in Cornwall and at first I missed a lot of matches which was tough from going to literally every match to barely ever (although I have to confess, it was made slightly easier by the fact the matches I did go to reminded me how bang average we were, under the previous regime).

I now get to a fair few matches and have got the 4 and half hour journey pretty much sussed and can do it without needing to stop for a break. I did stop for a break on the way home from Wembley though and had someone shout ZAMORA at me.

Well I was born in Burton and raised at a young age in Leicestershire, then moved to Brighton and then Norfolk before my teens, all my mums side are Liverpool or Leicester and my old mans side are Derby so I went with my dad. did help that he would tell me stories of my great granddad playing for derby (granted only once) and being mates with Steve Bloomer.

Can't get away from it now though.

I wasn't forced into supporting Derby by the family, although there is a photo of me around 10 months old asleep on the sofa clutching a DCFC scarf. But it never at any point occurred to me that I could support anyone else when I was growing up. Everyone in the house and in the family supported Derby, so I did too. That simple. In the same way most of you will support England or the country of your birth at International level because that's the only thing that makes sense, the only thing that ever made any sense to me was to support my local team.

My work took me 130 miles to Leicestershire after supporting my local team for over 15 years but money was too tight to allow me to keep going back on a regular basis. Saturday afternoons would then see me choosing to go and watch the most attractive looking Midlands game so I took in Forest (to my subsequent eternal shame), Notts C, Leicester, Coventry & Derby. Within one season it was Derby only and for most seasons since 1979 I've been a season ticket holder (as are my 2 boys)

Definitely the Clough era, we went from a bottom 3rd div team to league champs, and the climb to the

top was amazing. Can still remember the feeling of elation, and recognition for Derby as a city.

When you walked around Derby everyone was smiling and happy - we could do with some more.

From the area (Milford) and was taken along to one or two games by responsible adults (Millwall 67 first game on other thread). Eventually got myself (saved up - paper round, mopping floors at Woolies in Belper) a season ticket for 1970/71 so went to home games plus several aways. Always still accompanied by "adults" for all those games mind (14 at the time). Any other older folk on here might remember trips to away games via the Ramaway train - myself that season - to Leeds, Stoke, Man City, Everton, Coventry, West Brom, Huddersfield - that I remember. Phew, some inner cities there. I do remember being very enthused by Man Utd round European Cup Final 1968 time and for some odd reason, being quite keen on Villa. But once I'd got into seeing my local team live then there was only one way to go. Glory or not. DTID as they say.

Wierd choice for me especially coming from a cricket cracy part like chennai.

Late 90's we had a niche segment having caught the EPL bug so yeah had a small gang choosing teams in TV and in FIFA, 2001,2002... & then Championship manager 2001 happened where DCFC was the toughest in the premier league teams to manage (Some like 35 mil in debt with nil transfer fees? Management accepting any bids for my players?)

I chose derby cause they had a simple jersey, they were underdogs and ravenelli had a fake blond hair :)

Buddies thought i was wierd and still think am wierd for choosing derby (2007-2008 not withstanding). But hey cant support anyone else after all this right? Am wedded to it

Archived