Drop Rooney

McRamFan

Drop Rooney  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish this was a drop Gerrard thread....

But any who he will be finished after the tournament.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney quits internationals either citing family reasons.... Was kicking off again few weeks back being followed on a private outing with his kids and wife....

I would go with sterling Gerrard wilshire Milner

Then welbeck in behind sturridge.

Think Welbeck is a good link between midfield and striker. Think he would offer a great deal in that position.

I think the hate Welbeck generally receives especially from social media is because if the team he plays for....

I don't understand what Welbeck is. He's basically a target man?

He's a slightly upgraded Conor Sammon. Runs about a lot,  tracks back, annoys oppositition defenders but no ball control or footballing brain. In other words he tries hard and has his uses but isn't really good enough.

I don't understand the drop Gerrard comments flying around :blink: 

Captain of England, a heap of international caps and has carried this team and Liverpool on his back when the going gets tough and has to play 90 minutes in the amazon against a better Italian midfield. Granted it wasn't his best game but for me, only sterling had a good game. The whole squad were below par yet we are looking for scapegoats, England don't have the best players in the world but I am confident that if we pull together as a nation we can make it out of the groups!!!

Rant over... :ph34r:

Amazed that anyone thinks Rooney shows great desire and work rate, he half-arses his way through every England match and never manages to up his game against opposition of any quality.

If he put in the amount of effort that people seem to think he does, he'd be a handful.

Occasional moments of brilliance aren't enough to be called a world class player

this poll started with people heavily in favour of dropping wayne, but now after people have sobered up people have come to their senses!

Not me, for goodness sake. Laughable - preposterous.

Sobered up?

If a player is too good to drop, drop them and move on, or a side will always be a hostage to their form, fitness and mentality. Sounds an odd idea, but you should never let a player be too big to drop.

A countries best side isn't always it's best XI players.

Rooney's goalscoring record is great for England (and in general really considering it is very rare he gets played as an out and out striker). I have my doubts about whether he has ever been world class but I feel like the English media are always to blame regarding the potential of young players and the pressure on them when they have an off game. 

Welbeck - I have never been a fan of but he played well against Italy and I believe people who disagree will have had their opinions skewed by a pre conceived perception of how he was going to play. Maybe I'm wrong but like I said I've never really rated him but he (like Rooney) has been trusted for years by Sir Alex the most decorated manager in English football. 

I would start with the exact same team. We created enough chances to win but didn't manage to put it in the net. Italy were fortunate as a few deflections which sent the ball safely out for a corner could have so easily taken the ball into the goal.

Our attacking made me proud as an England fan. Unfortunately the defending left a lot to be desired. 

We played a 4231... That means we are playing 3 attacking midfielders rather than wingers which in my mind means that the full backs should be offered support from the TWO holding midfielders we had on the pitch NOT the attacking midfielders who are there to create!

Finally ( congrats if you made it to the end of this lengthy post haha) Gerrard disappointed me. He has the ability to do the job that Pirlo did but too often he cheaply gave the ball away! He can spray the ball wide that's easy but under pressure he misplaced short passes. Example of this was when he passed the ball straight to their player...right before Sterling then won the ball back and played that perfect throughball to Rooney for the cross for our goal. The guy has got to be getting the basics right, noone minds a hollywood ball not going to plan but Pirlo does the simple things right, something Gerrard disappointed with. 

Archived