Saturday 14th - World Cup Match Thread

Srg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 4 years tms we should theoretically have one of the best sides going forward, Sturbridge will be hitting his prime, chamberlain Barkley sterling Hughes and Thorne will all have matured and we'll probably have llallana and Henderson hitting their prime, defensively though I'm still not sure, shaw should mature, but I can't really think of much else, possibly Flanagan stones and maybe wisdom, but that will still be no way near what our midfield and attack will be

ah well, at least we should see some exciting English football next world cup

And we'll probably be saying that next time too. And next time. And next time.

It occurred to me the other day that the song 3 lions came out in 96, essentially declaring that we're definitely going to win something really soon. The World Cup after Qatar will be 30 years since that song came out, let alone since we won the thing. Do we really see ourselves winning it before then?

FFS even Greece have won done thing in the meantime.

Everyone saying Gerard had a shocker, ROONEY! Fac kin hell the ball to Sturbridge and that's it, couldn't have hit a barn door today, is it even that hard to hit a corner kick that goes in front of the goalposts?

Not so sure Gerrard had a 'shocker', he was just mostly anonymous again. A couple of Hollywood passes that went straight through to their keeper and that's about it. Oh, apart from thinking we'd done well because we had more of the ball in the second half....after Italy had gone back in front and were happy for us to have it.....

Rooney - great ball for the goal, but missed a sitter and gave Baines about as much protection as a perforated rubber.

I imagine Pirlo couldn't have an easier game.... Mind you I do think we can win next two games. Wish we could get rid if Gerrard he holds us back. Not going to happen until after World Cup.

Considering every man and his dog in the build up highlighted that Pirlo ripped us a new one at the Euros, you'd have thought that we had a 'plan' for him. Apparently we did, the plan seemed to be to let him do exactly whatever the fook he liked. Should have had Henderson all over him.

And we'll probably be saying that next time too. And next time. And next time.

It occurred to me the other day that the song 3 lions came out in 96, essentially declaring that we're definitely going to win something really soon. The World Cup after Qatar will be 30 years since that song came out, let alone since we won the thing. Do we really see ourselves winning it before then?

FFS even Greece have won done thing in the meantime.

Nah we're definitely gonna win the next one, perfect example of a player hitting his prime after the last one...

rooney...  :ph34r:

You lot are deluded.

Anyone who thinks we played badly need to get their head out of the sand.

We played well.

The only reason you think we played badly is because you have such high expectations of us. Our squad is bang average and not one person would get into Germany, Argentina, Brazil's team.

We're not a top 10 country in the world, and we jut played a team that reached the final of Euro 2012 and will probably make the 1/4 here at least.

I think Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson were fantastic given their ability. If we relate this to a PL game, we're like a Newcastle United who just lost 1-2 to Chelsea in a cup game - and we had our fair share of chances.

Seriously, you lot need to just sit back and realise we're not a very good team.

You lot are deluded.

We played well.

The only reason you think we played badly is because you have such high expectations of us. Our squad is bang average and not one person would get into Germany, Argentina, Brazil's team.

We're not a top 10 country in the world, and we jut played a team that reached the final of Euro 2012 and will probably make the 1/4 here at least.

I think Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson were fantastic given their ability. If we relate this to a PL game, we're like a Newcastle United who just lost 1-2 to Chelsea in a cup game - and we had our fair share of chances.

Seriously, you lot need to just sit back and realise we're not a very good team.

I agree too many people stuck in the past. Typical dysfunctional England fans. We gave it a good go but England are not a world class team not even close. We gave it a good go against one if not the best teams in Europe its all you can ask.

You lot are deluded.

We played well.

Yes we did have great moments. But tactically that was pathetic. It was embarrassing to watch. 

I can't see Hodgson having the balls to drop either Rooney or Gerrard. Or even to sub them. But they were both poor tonight. Would like to see Barkley playing the Rooney role next time out.

Full-backs need sorting out. They were both like Keiron Freeman tonight... defensively bang average and afraid to take a risk when in possession.

I can't see Hodgson having the balls to drop either Rooney or Gerrard. Or even to sub them. But they were both poor tonight. Would like to see Barkley playing the Rooney role next time out.

Full-backs need sorting out. They were both like Keiron Freeman tonight... defensively bang average and afraid to take a risk when in possession.

Baines although he had little support was torn to bits tonight defensively he is dodgy I have always said this. In my opinion as horrible as the man is Ashley Cole should still be there. 

Echo the anti-Rooney sentiments. The guy didn't play especially well in any of the friendlies, so I'm really not sure what he brings to warrant being in the starting line up, let alone being shoe-horned in on left. Had shades of Clough with Bryson.

Yes it was a perfect cross for Sturridge but the miss was criminal for a player whom the pundits and media keep reminding us is England's alleged Messiah.

Drop him and give someone less fashionable a shot.

Aside from that plenty to feel hopeful about attacking wise. Shame about the wobbly defence though.

Yes we did have great moments. But tactically that was pathetic. It was embarrassing to watch. 

Why was it? What was so embarrassing about losing 2-1 to Italy rather unfortunately.

Remember, this England team failed to beat Ukraine twice in qualifying, were fortunate not to lose to Poland and Montenegro and recently drew with Ecuador and Honduras in friendlies.

Why are you building them up so much? We're bang average, probably not even a top 15 team in the world and we just gave Italy an excellent game.

I was watching wit my Mexican friends and they all said we played well in the second half especially and didn't deserve to lose.

Tactically embarrassing? We're not feckin Man City who just lost to Wigan.

How do people think Sterling played well? He was Franz Carr and Tony Daley rolled into one tonight.

I can't believe people thought England play well.

You lot are deluded.

We played well.

No Bris, the disappointment comes because Italy are not a great side. They have defensive deficiencies themselves that were there to be exploited. Deficiencies that were highlighted numerous times in the first half, and a fair few in the second. Unfortunately, we seemed to learn absolutely nothing from the obvious issues that Baines was having in the first 45 minutes, and allowed that to continue in the second half, culminating in a second goal. After that they could afford to sit more men behind the ball and shore up the gaps in their own defence, hence we found it harder to exploit.

A side playing with pace against Italy, who also have a decent defence, someone like Holland, would ease past Italy IMO.

I agree that we played well going forward. It's just a shame that we're undermined by such a fragile defensive capability.

What I'd love to see, Barkley come in for Rooney next game, sterling got tired for the last 15 mins and should have been subbed, but I thought he was outstanding for the first 70mins, welbeck was brilliant and I was disappointed to see him come off, Barkley was everywhere after coming on, I thought Sturrridge was okay, Rooney had arguably one of the worst games of his career and everything else was quite average,at least I can say a few players played good, it's just a shame not everyone was as hungry as the youngsters

Italy 2-1 England.... The stat that matters....

No Bris, the disappointment comes because Italy are not a great side. They have defensive deficiencies themselves that were there to be exploited. Deficiencies that were highlighted numerous times in the first half, and a fair few in the second. Unfortunately, we seemed to learn absolutely nothing from the obvious issues that Baines was having in the first 45 minutes, and allowed that to continue in the second half, culminating in a second goal. After that they could afford to sit more men behind the ball and shore up the gaps in their own defence, hence we found it harder to exploit.

A side playing with pace against Italy, who also have a decent defence, someone like Holland, would ease past Italy IMO.

I agree that we played well going forward. It's just a shame that we're undermined by such a fragile defensive capability.

Italy aren't a great side?

They finished runners-up in Euro 2012, and have the basis of a cracking young side. I don't understand... Or are you judging them on two friendlies?

Italy will make the quarter-finals at least because they are a top 10 side.

Italy defend in numbers, always have. They rarely leave space at the back, and the attack using wingbacks and excellent crossing.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Do you guys think we are Brazil or something? We're not even as good as Colombia.

Archived